Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Patience
Topic Started: Feb 25 2016, 03:11 PM (421 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes, Patience---"The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset". This project was an exercise in just that---Patience. In late 1969 I think, I picked up a double kit at one of the local discount stores that grabbed my attention. I had not seen the kits before and knew very little about them but that changed later. My skill level at that time just could not handle the delicate parts and confusing assembly and I only finished one, and poorly. The kit I refer to is this one:
Posted Image

Even though they are in an AMT box, they were designed and produced by Heller in France by philippe de Lespinay around 1967. If any of you have ever built a Heller kit, you know what I mean by delicate, touchy, fiddley, blood pressure boilers. The company has the right name, "HELLer". Later, however, as my skills improved I once again picked up one of these kits, some 40 years later at about 15 times the cost of what I paid in 1969. ($3.00) One thing I did remember about these kits is there are no real attachment points for the tiny suspension and many other parts leaving you with just a guess. This time I made it through both kits and my blood pressure stayed down. Following are some pics of the Brabham F3 and Matra F2 during construction. Will I do these again? I can't say for sure but not anytime soon.

Posted Image
The Brabham is a tube chassis and very tiny. The coil over shocks are made up of three pieces and a piece of wire supplied in the kit. You wind the wire around a piece of sprue to make the spring. With no locating points for the suspension links, you almost need three hands to attach them. The second photo gives you an idea how small this kit is even though its 1/25 scale.

I will add more to this later, stay tuned.Posted Image
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Matra kit uses a Monocoque Chassis but is just as touchy and tiny as the Brabham tube chassis. This kit also uses the wound wire coil over shocks and are just as tough to mount.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Matra Cosworth 4 banger uses fuel injection . The Brabham Cosworth uses a poorly done Webber. I guess you could say these were a fun build but when completed it was more a relief. If any of you wish to try one of these kits, they can still be found as single kits in Heller boxes and the double kit shows up at times on "The Bay" and other places although somewhat pricey today. If you do spring for one just understand that they WILL tempt you to bounce em off the wall, so use plenty of patience. I might also add that the seat inserts, headers and plug wire harness is made of vinyl. I didn't think much about that at the time but you know what a kit tire does to plastic after some years. I wonder if they will make a mess of things after these sit on the shelf for a decade? :o
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
Richard Nixon

henryc43
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Nicely done! And I know what you mean. Built Heller's Ferrari P4 and Porsche 917 kits years ago.

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanx for the blow by blow, and for the two very nice results! Despite their terrible reputation as Beyond Fiddly, they build up to wonderful representations of the real thing (even if that side draft Weber is a terrible disappointment). I am one who would be tempted to have a swing at these, as tiny as they are! This was an era of radical minimalism in race car design we will probably never see again.
Keep on buildin'

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Henry, I have the Heller 512S Ferrari started and it is no better going together than the two I just talked about. This one may beat me. I also have another AMT Double kit that contains the Heller Porsche 907 and Ferrari P4. I found this one about 4 years ago sealed and I think it would be wise to leave it that way. For more punishment, I have the Double of the Renault r8 Gordini and Renault Alpine 210 Lemans entry. Needless to say, they are still in the box. Just not sure I have the courage.

Bernard, I say go for it! Let me warn you, though, if you have arthritic stub fingers like me, it will cause some language to pour forth that the wife and kids may not need to hear. I am lucky there as I have no wife but it got bad enough that the cat left the room during my assembly. I think you would do just fine and I would love to see your finished example. Take the plunge.
Richard Nixon

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) jsm
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

NE1BUT24
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
B) :))) :)))

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
You bought theses recently? I'd buy them. What scale? You did a good job on them. :)))

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wizzo, I think the last one of these AMT re-boxed double kits I bought was in 2009. Some I picked up around 2004 and I am glad I did. The price on these things are just plain stupid today and the scale is 1/25.

These were the toughest little suckers I think I encountered but if you stick with em, they look pretty cool finished up. I am still trying to build the courage to do the Renault A 210 Le Mans car. I get it out and look it over and put it back in the box. Not ready for that much work yet. Thanks for the Comps.
Richard Nixon

« Previous Topic · Open Wheel · Next Topic »
Add Reply