Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nova resin body
Topic Started: Feb 18 2016, 10:24 AM (870 Views)
Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Just a quick question...does anyone make a resin 1973-74 Nova body conversion? My cousin started racing in a 73 or 74 Nova, and this is the one I want to replicate, if I can find a conversion body. I did a lop-sided, half-hearted search on the net, but didn't find anything. Thought I would pose the question to the gurus in-the-know here. I'm just curious...it's not going to cause my world to come to a screeching halt if no one makes one. At this point, I'm a W. Allen McClelland-style "close enough for plausible reality" modeler anyway and can make do with what's available, (any model railroaders out there will know who Mr. McClelland is!). Thanks guys!
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Under, I may be wrong here but I do not recall any annual Nova kit after the AMT Old Pro kit in 72 until MPC released the 75 annual kit. As far as resin, I have not looked all that hard but I can recall seeing 75 thru 78 BGN bodies for sale. I have not really looked at the differences but you might make an old MPC 75 look like a 74 if you can score one. Keep an eye on "The Bay" as odd resin stuff turns up there all the time and I think there is a 75 BGN body listed now. Good luck and keep glooin'.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The main differences in the 69-72 body and the 73-74 body is a slightly reconfigured grill and and a more square shaped opera window between the B and C pillars. I've seen the 1975 BGN bodies, but that year was nearly a complete redesign of the body. I know there are all kinds of resin sites out there, but I don't remember seeing one either. I went to the Modelhaus website and they have temporarily closed their site due to backlog in orders. And I'm sure that with enough play time and blood, sweat and tears I could take the Old Pro/Beverly Holls Cop Nova and kitbash the body, but I ain't that good yet. Oh well... Thanks for the advice though!

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Undertaker2480,Feb 18 2016, 11:19 AM ...............................................................I'm sure that with enough play time and blood, sweat and tears I could take the Old Pro/Beverly Hills Cop Nova and kitbash the body
but I ain't that good yet. Oh well........ [/QUOTE

Whether it be resin or or a kit, at some point in time, you are going to have to learn if your intentions are to build that Nova since there are no ready to build Nova Stock Car kits that I have been made aware of.

If you have pictures of your cousins Nova then you have the reference information that you need for the build.......what I do in a situation like that is study the picture or pictures and envision what will need to be done to duplicate what is in the picture......your patience and time will yield the results that you are after.

If there are no pictures but only what you can recall then draw pictures of what you remember and add notes to the pictures...draw them in color and to scale(1:25) this is what I have done most of the time with what I have managed to build and 90% of what I have planned for the future.

The internet is a vast treasure trove of useful information on how to take a regular kit body and transform it into just about anything you can imagine.......you are only limited by how much that you think you are able to do....there are no secrets and those that are not willing to share or don't want to share their expertise have not earned the privilege to be even considered a builder as far as I am concerned.

As far as the build goes , just build an accurate replica of what can be seen on the outside....don't worry so much about what's underneath and inside, the correct chassis parts, suspension, engine etc. etc. that all comes with time.... build a curbside and forget about the engine and tranny.

A Chevy NASCAR( pre COT era) kit would yield you pretty much everything you would need. Shortening the wheel base to a 1:25 scale 111" (1:1 Nova's wheelbase) would be quite easy...even for someone who has never done it before.....making a stock car out of the Old Pro/ Beverly Hills Cop kit is doable, but I would not suggest it as a first time scratch build project ........kit bashing with a Chevy NASCAR kit or simply fitting the body to a NASCAR chassis of correct wheelbase length would take a lot less time and be less stressful on you.

If there is anything at all you need answered or help with , there a several on here who have real world experience with stock cars..my self included.. who I know are more than willing to help....all you have to do is ask
:)))
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Brian Conn,Feb 19 2016
12:14 AM
If there is anything at all you need answered or help with , there a several on here who have real world experience with stock cars..my self included.. who I know are more than willing to help....all you have to do is ask
:)))

Brian, thanks for the words of encouragement and support. Yes, unfortunately, I know I'm eventually going to have to wade off into the deep end of the kitbashing and scratchbuilding pool, but for someone who is just coming back to the hobby following a near 20 year hiatus, it's a little intimidating. My cousin drove a 69 or 70 Nova later, towards the end of his career, as seen in my profile picture, and could easily be converted in what is available on the market today. But the 73 Nova was his first, and all I really want to do is make a credible replica in his memory.

Rick was my inspiration; my hero, if you will. I've known him all my life, but never knew what "racing" was until I was 5 or 6 years old. My brother used to work at the same trucking company as Rick, and one Friday my Dad and I stopped by to see my brother, and Rick was getting his car loaded to go racing that afternoon. I was in awe. Soon after, we started going to the races at the New Asheville Speedway, and the rest is history. In my eyes, Rick was a super star, ranking up there with the likes of Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt. But he was a common guy, and much like most everyone here on the forum: down to earth and ready to stop everything and offer advice or an explanation. Rick passed away July 26, 2013 following complications from heart surgery. His passing has left a hole in my life that is extremely noticeable. I've never been really close to anyone outside of my immediate family but just a chosen few. I place Rick just under my Dad and brother as influential men in my family. Randy Travis sang that "there are two things that last til the end; one is your heroes, the other is your friends." I was fortunate that my hero WAS my friend. I was blessed by God to be related to my hero.

Again, thanks Brian for the confidence and the offers for help. I may be leaning on some folks in the future! :lol:

« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS ASPHALT · Next Topic »
Add Reply