Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Modified Stockers
Topic Started: Feb 13 2016, 10:18 PM (888 Views)
krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Anyone else built one these kits. Really basic kits but look good on the shelf. I'd like to see what you come up with. Here are my 2 older builds. I do have another started since 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Kevin
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
My son built the Falcon years ago but I haven't yet...
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

JEGRAFIX
[ * ]
Here is one that I built. I call it: "Out of Action".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
....I kit bashed the Fairlane Super Stocker with an AMT/ERTL '66 Ford Fairlane for this Street Stock build.. http://z8.invisionfree.com/Scale_Racing_Lo...?showtopic=9924

Since I wanted to build a dirt street stock the over sized tires went into the spare parts area. As I got deeper into the build , I found myself using less of the super stocker kit and either using parts from the '66, buying aftermarket parts or scratch building what I needed. In the end, all I used from the original super stocker kit was the body, front and rear bumpers and bars ,oil pan,seat and belts. The cage was too ill fitting for my liking and the molded 1 piece frame and underside detail just didn't do it for me either....I suppose for a quick, week end build , this kit fits the bill, but I wanted to build a street stock that represented what was around here in 1979 built according to the rules back then.

This was my first build (started in 2007) after being away from the hobby since the mid 80's......that Super Stocker kit's lack of accurate, correct detail as far as I was concerned , was the catalyst for me to get into scratch building. :lol:

ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
JEGRAFIX nice looking dio you have there.

Brian I used them as a starting point to get back to building again. Some times a quick weekend is what I need to get fired up for another project. Spending months or years on one kit takes the fun out of the hobby for me. I built the 7-11 ford in two weeks. Scale auto magazine used it on their website as an opening link to the contest I first showed it at. It uses only what came in the box and basic skills I have learned. I was just building for contests before I built that car. I was making what I thought the judges would like. That little kit changed my whole way of thinking about the hobby. I now build what I like and if the judges like it also then great. If they don't I still had fun. On here with the model of the month builds that had the better pictures taken won more often than not. BTW I love seeing those wip pictures you do.
Kevin

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
krwasson,Feb 14 2016
11:32 AM
........ Brian I used them as a starting point to get back to building again. .

From what I have been made to understand , all of the Super Stocker kits are pretty much the same with the difference being Ford, G.M etc. With that being said, these kits are perfect as a starting point for anyone getting back into building or for a first time build. For me, 13 years ago I knew that I wanted to get back into building stock cars and I also knew that I wanted to build a mid 60's Fairlane ......after spending time researching online what was happening in the model building world I discovered the '65 fairlane Super Stocker kit and by chance a LHS had them in stock. I figured, not knowing much of anything else, that this kit would be EXACTLY what I was looking for. So in that aspect, like you, it serve its purpose as a starting point quite well, except I went in a different direction than I initially intended in the beginning with the end result being exactly as I had envisioned them in my head.

krwasson,Feb 14 2016
Some times a quick weekend is what I need to get fired up for another project.

I really do wish that I had it in me to do just that , but I don't...as I have began speaking with other builders I am finding that I am not alone in this...I cant just be satisfied with what came in the kit ...if its an asphalt car I have to convert it into a dirt car...if it's a car that more than likely would not have been found at a dirt track, I take that as a challenge and make it a plausible build of one that would have....and on and on....

krwasson,Feb 14 2016
  Spending months or years on one kit takes the fun out of the hobby for me. I built the 7-11 ford in two weeks.

I am really envious of you guys that can turn out builds of this caliber in a couple of weeks....we are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to time spent on a build. I have about a half dozen builds in various stages of the building or rebuilding process that date back to 2008......the extreme make over '78 Mustang II Late Model was first started back in 1980 and was never quite finished and is still note quite finished. For me , I can spend hours or days on a few small parts and be very content.

One thing that I am doing now is learning the fine art of resin from fellow Topekan, Bob Hayse...I am finding that there are many pieces that I scratch build that are the same pieces with each build so instead of scratch building each time, I can pour what I need for a build and cut the build time down dramatically.

I guess that I am like an ice glacier ...it makes forward progress, but you can't ever see it move.

krwasson,Feb 14 2016
   Scale auto magazine used it on their website as an opening link to the contest I first showed it at. It uses only what came in the box and basic skills I have learned..

See for me that would pose a challenge...use only what came in the box, even using the box itself if you need to satisfy a scratch building urge. You and the rest of staff have been searching for a CBP that would gain the interest of the builders here on the forum as well as be a fun CBP.....IMHO an OOB CBP would be a fun challenge for me personally since it's been like 40 years since I built what came in the box....make the CBP wide open and not biased towards any one type of kit or genre and I can guarantee participation and support from the members......think about it

krwasson,Feb 14 2016
  That little kit changed my whole way of thinking about the hobby. I now build what I like and if the judges like it also then great. If they don't I still had fun.

It's not every time that you and I agree with each other...in this case I could not agree with you more...like I have stated before that kit did it for me as far as being the catalyst that got me into scratch building....building what I like as well....only now I get judged different than you do/did..allow me to explain.

I have been told that I take this hobby way to seriously...which every time I have read that or been told over the phone it makes me laugh almost to the point of tears.....those people really don't know me as well as they think they do....this is what I do to relax and unwind.

I was once told by a well known to us former? resin caster and present forum owner to never discuss anything related to what I was doing with resin and molds...to keep it to myself...he was worried that I would either show others how to re-pop pieces or start selling resin on the side thus cutting into his profits....like they couldn't do what I did and research it out on the internet if they really wanted to pursue such a thing. One thing that experience has taught me was to never lose site of the building aspect of this hobby and that being in the resin business makes what was once fun into a job and I don't want any part of that. I have moved on from all that nonsense and am the better for it. It's simply cheaper to buy from a reputable caster the aftermarket parts and pieces that you need verses D.I.Y resin casting.....I cast what I need that is simply not found out there on the internet.

I have been labeled/judged as both stupid and braggadocios...both which really hurt to the point of almost selling out and moving on to something else....I was called stupid because I could not find a very particular WoO sticker from 1979 that I wanted to make a 1:25 decal out of....I had spent literally hours trying to locate what I was looking for on the internet with no luck......I posted what I was looking for with very specific definitions on another forum..a few responded with what I was not looking for ...thanked them anyway and further explained what I needed...as it turned out I became the laughing stock of the forum owner and one of his minions as being stupid and not knowing how to search for anything as simple as a sticker.......out of the Blue one day after all this had passed I received an e-mail from someone that I didn't know with a perfect picture of the WoO sticker that I had spent many hours looking for...I graciously thanked him and haven't heard from them since.

The being a braggart/ braggadocios part has me a bit confused...I still get told this from time to time in so many words "that not everyone goes to the extreme that you do and are more interested in just the basics, that's what you should be doing"....OR..."I am just going quit commenting on anything you build...your just showing off that you can do things that the rest of us won't or don't do" .....to me it's not bragging, it's trying my best to explain what I am doing and how I hope to achieve ,in the end, the build that I have envisioned in my head......this has wore on me to the point of making a decision on whether I want to keep doing W.I.P's as opposed to just posting the end result once finished as most seem to be doing these days.

The take away from this is: What you may say to a member directly or to others in what you believe to be a private setting could be the eternal damnation of that member unbeknownst to you....Always be respectful of others.

krwasson,Feb 14 2016
  On here with the model of the month builds that had the better pictures taken won more often than not. BTW I love seeing those wip pictures you do.

I am still undecided on which way to go with the W.I.P pictures......we'll see ...if I took W.I.P pictures of what I have been doing lately , it would be about as exciting as watching paint dry.... forward progress like I spoke of the ice glacier earlier in this post.

Kevin, thank you so very much for letting me rant, hi-jack and derail your post.... wnw .z.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Brain it is a hobby for me and nothing more. I keep it as simple as I can. I go to model shows to learn. I see people there that you speak of telling anyone who will listen why a build is bad. Not knowing that the person who made it had just come back to the hobby after 20 years of not building. All they seen was a older man set down a model. Thinking he should have done this or that better.

I have been lucky in this hobby that I have met the right people at the right times. I have had guys willing to explain how they did this or that on their models. On here it gets lost because it is not face to face. Words alone don't let you know the person behind them. I have met people who are published in magazines that some think are braggadocios. If you catch them at the wrong time at a show they might seem that way. It might be more that they have to be some place else at the time you meet them.

At this point in time I have close to 40 started models setting around the house. I hate painting. I get to that point and stop a lot of times. So, if I post a completed model it has been boxed up for a while most times. I can still do a 2 week build when I just want to relax.

I'm going to finish the Impala by the end of the month and post it on here. Just as a challenge to myself and to get my wife to stop saying "when you goin' to finish somethin'" r:r
Kevin

supergluek5
Member Avatar
Supergluek5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Kevin,

Here are my builds of all the re-issued mod-stocker kits. I built them all including the GTO when I was a kid.
'65 Ford Fairlane
Posted Image
Posted Image
"66 Chevy Impala
Posted Image
'65 Olds
Posted Image

I added bars to all the cages to make them more realalistic

Supergluek5
Mike
Only 3 Sports--- Racing, racing, and more racing

supergluek5
Member Avatar
Supergluek5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
More Mod stockers
'66 Buick
Posted Image
'69 Ford Torino
Posted Image
'69 Ford Falcon
Posted Image
'65 Chevelle
Posted Image

Supergluek5

supergluek5
Member Avatar
Supergluek5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
And the last one
'64 Ford Galaxie
Posted Image

Supergluek5
Mike

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Mike those are awesome little cars. The #0 ford you have is my favorite. Not because it's a ford but because I know how hard it is to fit that nose on. I don't know how you got that Chevelle to sit that low but you didn't follow the instructions. I put that kit back in the box until I learn to be more patience :lol:
Kevin

supergluek5
Member Avatar
Supergluek5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here are 2 more Mod stockers I had forgotten about

Another '65 Chevelle. This was sent to me b DJ Moore because the body was warped and he never could get it straighten out.
Posted Image
Posted Image
'69 Ford Falcon
Posted Image
Posted Image

Falcon is built on a different chassis with a scratch built cage.

Supergluek5
Mike

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very nice. I love how such a simple kit can turn out like these do. :))) :))) :)))
Kevin

highboy-xlt
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I started with this series back in the 70s. First one I built was the 66 Buick.

Here's one I did a few years ago:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think I built and cut up all of those kits when I was a kid. This is the only Modified Stocker I have built in my collection. I built this one around 1988 or 89 from a built up gloo bomb. I built my own roll cage to replace the horrible kit item. It is pretty basic but I enjoyed it.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Some nice looking cars guys :))) :))) :)))
Kevin

highboy-xlt
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
nice looking Fairlane

« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS ASPHALT · Next Topic »
Add Reply