Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Just wandering...
Topic Started: Dec 15 2015, 12:31 PM (387 Views)
Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hello group. I wanted to pose this idea here rather than anywhere else since you all have been so inviting and patient with me. I have been following a thread on another forum about the new Gen 6 cars coming out. From what I understand, they are very basic, skill level 1 or 2 kits; a lot of molded in parts with very little detail, leaving most of the work to the modeler. Which is great, in my opinion. But those guys are foaming, saying they are wanting to buy cases at a time to show Revell that there is still an interest in NASCAR models. Now, I understand that there are millions of die hard, true blue NASCAR fans still out there, that watch every race, keep up with all the statistics, etc. But, from my humble point of view, would it not make better sense to revive and revamp the old molds of NASCAR kits? These kits are becoming few and far in between. NASCAR's pinnacle was throughout the 80's and into the 90's, in my opinion. You had the Allsions and the Pettys, Dale, Sr., Harry Gant, Tim Richmond, etc. You also had "Days of Thunder", which was a big shot in the arm for NASCAR, regardless of how you feel about the movie. There are some killer after market decals out there for these cars, (now I understand the main reason why there is an abundance of these decals is because these were the cars available.), as well as some pretty wicked after market resin bodies that were designed to use the old Monogram chassis for the base. I thought Revell had hit on something with their Legends series (the old Earnhardt Squarebird, Petty's 200th win Pontiac, Yarborough and Labonte's Monte Carlo, etc) but nothing new ever came of the series. Now, keep in mind that I'm nothing more than a backwoods hillbilly that has just recently reemerged from the shadows of the rock I was living under to reenter model building. I may be completely missing the point of it all. When it comes to model building, I only know what I like, and nothing about the rest of the population, bottom line profits, marketing, etc. But I simply wanted to express my opinion. Anyone else have an opinion? :unsure: .?.
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well Under, this might get some rocks thrown at me but I look at the picture this way. Like it or not, it all centers around $$$$$$. Monogram/Revell did well with those kits no doubt. Then when things got really big everyone got greedy and the price to use a logo, name, and photos went plain stupid. That limited what kit was produced and the price went up. The fan base in the 1980's and most of the 1990's was super but its just not there today. Even when the media says the race is before a sell out crowd, I see empty seats when the camera pans the stands. Yes, there are still die-hard Nascar fans but it's just not like before. And those old Monogram kits you spoke of. They are not hard to find, they are still out there and cheap. There are some model sellers that have them with a jacked up price but if you look, you can find them anywhere from $7 to $15---sealed. I had over 200 of those kits and it took me well over a year to sell half that many off on "The Bay" at $6.50 each. I don't think I would buy a new one even if it was tooled up like the old ones. No, I am not the Nascar fan I once was, I might watch 2 or 3 races a year, maybe. There are none of the drivers I follow like before and to me, all the cars look alike. I would rather watch wingless sprints or the DTM series or make a local show. I'm just an old fart I guess, I get about as much enjoyment from watching Nascar today as watching the WWF and I don't do that at all. Now if you like modeling Nascar stuff, do it. Nobody is telling you not to but I wouldn't hold my breath for RevellOGram to dump big $$ in that subject.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
No rocks from me, Lefty! I see you have some of the same thoughts as me. I have found a couple of sites that offer these kits at a decent price. And I've found some that, as you said, jacked the price to the ceiling. The bad part about eBay is that I can find really cheap models, but sometimes, the shipping costs are ungodly. I bought the 1987 Thunderbird combo kit and paid $12 for shipping. That was fair, because the USPS label showed that actual shipping was close to $11. I have been looking for the Kodak Olds combo kits, and found them. Cheaper than the Thunderbirds. But they wanted $22 for shipping...and this dude lives closer than the other guy did! I know you have to shop around, but you have to pay closer attention to the shipping rather than the cost of the kit! And I agree about the fan base. That was one of my points in my post. Back in 1996, a friend of mine, who held season tickets, asked if I wanted to go to the spring Bristol race. He was telling me then that if I wanted regular tickets, there was like a year and a half waiting list. Now there are more empty seats than full ones. In my humble opinion, there are a lot of reasons why this is. The drivers today are more like glorified movie stars that drive a race car rather than actual race car drivers. The cars are pretty much identical now, (thought we already had a series for identical cars, called IROC?) I can say for 100% that I am not interested in the Gen 6 cars, and won't be buying any. But I'll keep combing the 'net for the "good" cars! rr21

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Under, just yesterday I looked on the Bay and there were more than a few of the stockers offered at $14.99 with FREE shipping, thats not too bad. When I would ship from here in Podunkville, shipping was $6.50 to $8.90 depending on where in the US it went. I could ship a dozen to Ill. for about $10 and ONE to PA. was over $9. Thank USPS for that! Just take your time and watch, you can pick em up on the cheap if you look and there are PLENTY still out there.

As for the Series, I can think of lots of things I don't like today. The "Chase" thing for one. The last 1/3 of the season everyone is a loser except 12 or so. Remember 1985? Elliott won 11 races and old DW won 3 and took the champ. Then there was Kulwicki and Labonte who only won 1 race and took the champ. And that "Lucky Dog" stuff? Really? In years past I remember guys coming from as much as 5 laps down to win and they had no Lucky Dog. Restrictor Plates, Tires, I could go on and on but I won't. Times changed, the fan make-up changed and the guys running the show changed. All us "Boomers" are what made the Nascar fan base what it once was and now we are getting older and fewer. I used to call it a Sport, now I just call it a Show.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Talk is cheap....Saying that you are going to buy a case of kits and then actually making good on what you spouted off on some forum somewhere .....this hobby ,unfortunately, is made up of too many blow hards. Back a few years ago there was talk, wont mention any names,from some builders (using that term loosely) that they where going to buy cases of some brand new release race car because they just had to have it.....now days they cant give away the remaining kits in the case because they lost interest after 2 or 3 builds....just like the others that bought'em by the case. I really love my 1:1 '76 Ford Gran Torino...so I went out and bought 3 of the Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino kits just to put things into prospective.

I severed any and all interest that I had with NASCAR when they started running 4 doors and imports...enough said. mm1

What will eventually happen with all of those Gen. 6 kits that will flood the market(said NO ONE) is that they will become kit bashed and cannibalized or used for trade fodder.

Keep in mind that it is our generation (over 50) that has the spending power.....we lost interest in NASCAR and looked what is happening...they played to a younger generation that is financially broke or very close to it, despite the false front they put up...Revell/Monogram puts out a Gen. 6 kit that doesn't appeal to the majority of us.... we'll see what happens , I guess..?.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
fbr Very well said Brian.

« Previous Topic · NASCAR · Next Topic »