Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
More Vintage Photos
Topic Started: Dec 10 2015, 08:43 AM (984 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I was "infected" with racing bug at an early age. While other kids were playing "Cops and Robbers" or "Cowboys and Indians" I was pushing toy cars around in the dirt telling them I was going to be Fireball Roberts. They had no clue at all as to what I was talking about. I was lucky enough to have parents that took me to the races and got to travel around to different tracks and see some of the greatest racing of all time. As a kid, some of these racers I watched were bigger than Superman to me and walked taller than anyone. Most of them are gone now, but I remember them to this day and still hold on to their photos like they are gold. Following are some photos of cars and drivers that will forever stick in my memory.

The photo by my screen name. Legends Jack Belk (76) and Larry Phillips (75) doing battle at Ozark Speedway in Joplin sometime around 1964.
Posted Image
One team that was hard to beat was car builder Korky Felker and driver Fred Tullis. In the early 60's, they would race this modified at two tracks, Ozark in Joplin and 71 Speedway in Neosho Mo. At one track they used a 292 Chevy and would pull the engine each week and install a 426 Max Wedge for the races at the other. They won at both tracks.

Posted Image
Sometime in the late 60's car builder Felker designed and built this out of the box super and was driven by Fred Tullis. Long, Torsion bar suspension and fast.
Posted Image
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here are a few more shots of the Fred Tullis Super.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Here is a shot of the plywood mold Felker made up for the Fiberglass body.
Posted Image
If I remember my years right, Duane Beckham, Brother of Terry Beckham ran this 33 chevy coach in '66 thru '69. It used a 409 Chevy and won its share of races too. In 1970, a 62 Nova body was spread over this chassis and ran as a late model. During the transition from Mods to Late Models, rules were kinda lax and there were lots of cars used this way.

Posted Image
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
Richard Nixon

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
rrr Great stuff. When you going to build some of them?
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
LOL! Rick, I did build some of them back in my younger days. Now mind you I am sure they didn't look ANYTHING like the 1:1 cars but they did to me then. Not painted, gloo-smears and built with all the skills a 10 year old could muster. I think some would be rather difficult to re-produce in scale but others could be done. The only thing holding me up now is eye-sight, stiff hands, time and the nerve to jump in and do them. They are on my bucket-list just don't know when I will get to them all. It is a great accomplishment for me today just to get a kit out of the box, let alone build it.
Richard Nixon

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) B) :)))

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great photos, thanks for posting them! :)))
Kevin

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
...I am going to ju mp into this as well...George (Lefturns75) has about 10 years on me age wise thus I don't have a whole lot from the 60's BUT I have ,at least, several hundred from the 70's...

CHRISTMAS GREETINGS FROM ROL LA SPEEDWAY ....70's style

Posted Image
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Brian, can you remember who held that track record (17.53) at rolla? I can't. I can remember Tom Reffner setting I-70 on fire with his Nash and then Tommy Maier dipping into the high 16's with one of those green Howe Camaros. I guess that number might stand to this day.
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Rolla in the 70's ,for me at least, was a town that we drove thru a couple of times to get somewhere else. For all I know that track record could have been set by Joe Racer from Smalltown, MO. in a 60's Chevelle....
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, I asked Joe Fan from Nowhere Mo. and he produced a program showing the track record of 17.09 and being set by Dick Trickle. We still don't know who set the 17.53 in your ad but it fell anyway.
Richard Nixon

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I had heard through rumors that the #76 race car pictured in my avatar still existed but all I heard about it was rumors. I was surprised to see in a post here by JPR-Inc on Oct. 2013 photos of the original car in unrestored form. Thats Great!!!!!!!! If some of you have not done so, check out his thread and view the pics. Thank you JPR-Inc for those photos and to the person that saved that wonderful piece of history.
Richard Nixon

« Previous Topic · 1:1 Pictures · Next Topic »
Add Reply