Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino; season 2 thru 4 car
Topic Started: Dec 7 2015, 03:19 PM (448 Views)
Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
I am not going to be building this OOB , rather I am going to be kit bashing and scratch building to build this car as a mid 70's correct Ford Gran Torino w/ the Police Interceptor (P71) package...I am going to take some artistic liberties and assume what Starsky would have had the car like under the hood.

Correction or changes that I will be doing:

replace the kit engine/tranny with a 460 C/I Police Interceptor C-6 tranny combo. Will also scratch build the auxiliary Police Package oil and transmission coolers.

adding the Ford optional engine cross member reinforcements.

correct the engine cross member to make it stock appearing

correct the rear axle by replacing the round spacers with coil springs and shocks. Will also be scratch building the large dia. Police Interceptor rear sway bar.

replace the kit front tires with a wider tread width tire. I've done a lot of research on the tires and wheels since since I am in the process of building the 1:1 scale real thing. The size of tires for this kit build are going to be the size of the tires that I will be getting for the 1:1 scale. I will have to cast what will be the "other" front tire since I only could find one suitable tire in my stash.

replace the kit rear tires and wheels with a wider tire and wheel. For the rear , I will take a kit wheel and make it wider and cast it. I will take the 2 rear tires and make 1 wider tire and cast it. Will be adding the large Police Interceptor/ Lincoln rear drum brakes.

make changes to the 2 way radio to reflect what is shown in the t.v show.

replace the front bench seat with bucket seats to reflect the season 2 thru 4 car.

add the Black rub strips( bumper protection group) to the front and rear bumpers.

correct the Red tear drop light by adding the magnetic base and coiled power cord to the cigarette lighter.

Since I bought 3 of these kits...going to build 2 stock cars and Starsky's car.... I will have a side project going on as well for the future builds that I will be using this frame...the side project will consist of:

making corrections to the kit frame to make it more stock appearing so that it can be resin cast for future stock car builds. A Jo-Han 1972 Torino stock car rear frame section will be grafted to the Revell kit frame.

remove the front upper control arms and kit bash/scratch build/resin cast a set of correct, stock appearing upper control arms for future stock car builds. A front upper control arm from the AMT/ERTL 1960 Ford Starliner Custom will be scratch built into a correct version of the front upper control arm that would have been used on the Ford Gran Torino.

correct the engine cross member to make it stock appearing so that it can be resin cast for future stock car builds. Since I build dirt cars, the sway bar will be removed since it would not have been practical to use one. The round pieces that are where the coil springs should be will be removed so that coil springs and shocks can take their place.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have decided to purchase a resin cast big block 460 Ford engine and C-6 tranny.

The engine will be coming from Calnaga Castings..it is the Ford 429 Cobra Jet Engine Kit with Top Loader Transmission...I will be removing the Toploader transmission and purchasing the C-6 Auto trans. from B-N-L Resins.. .it's the Ford Auto C-6 Racing Transmission with Pan.

The Ford 429 Cobra Jet Engine from Calnaga can be built as a mid 70's 460 Police Interceptor quite simply. The C-6 Racing Transmission from B-N-L most closely resembles what I am looking for transmission wise.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Some times the real life world collides with the model building world with interesting results. Since I am waiting on the 460 and C-6 tranny to get here , I went ahead and started researching what the auxiliary transmission cooler looks like since I will have to scratch build it. Since I don't have the 1:1 transmission cooler ,YET, to get measurements off of, I went to the internet to do some research. All I knew was that the Ford F Series of trucks in the 70's had a squarish looking cooler and that the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury line of passenger cars had a more rectangle looking cooler.

sleepy After 4 or 5 non stop hours of research I was:

1) Able to locate a part# for the passenger car auxiliary transmission cooler...it started showing up in 1968 and stayed around till the mid 1990's when it disappeared all together. I am almost positive that this is the same cooler that was used in the Ford police interceptors in the 70's as It was optional equipment on the big/ full size cars as part of a towing package.

2) Determined that there is no manufacture today that makes a cooler that is the same configuration of the cooler that I need to make for the build. mm1

3) Discover on E-Bay that there was a "Buy it now" for a new, in the box Ford/ Motorcraft auxiliary transmission cooler that is the same part# (7K177) that I had been looking for.:)))

4) Figured that I had better "Buy it now" for my 1:1 scale build since the part became obsolete 20 years ago and the chances of finding one are slim to none. So thanks to the 1:25 build , the 1:1 build gets a hard to find part that it will need.

So...soon I hope to get the 1:1 cooler and make a 1:25 scale version of it.....
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Since Revell decided to mold the kit with an AC evaporator core...(piece that attaches to the fire wall) I decided to build a factory AC for the Gran Torino....since no aftermarket pieces could be found , I went ahead and scratch built using my 1:1 Gran Torinos AC system as a reference.
Revell showed yet again that they don't proof read their printed material....they show the evaporator core as being a compressor in the instructions.

Scratch built from Left to Right:
Compressor pulley and idler pulley...outer part of the compressor pulley is a 1 mm. piece of a click pen body...the inner part of the compressor pulley and the idler pulley is the crank pulley and alternator pulley from the AMT/ERTL Ford Probe GT kit...filled center part of compressor pulley in with putty. Next is the compressor bracket...made from some scrap plastic. Next is the York compressor...whittled from a piece of sprew. Next is the accumulator..a piece of scrap Evergreen rod. Next is the Receiver/drier..made from a piece of sprew. Next is the condenser...scratch built from Evergreen and floral wire.

Mock up of the York compressor w/ bracket. Will detail paint everything and add fittings and plumb.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Received the big block Ford engine kit from Calnaga Castings today jump ......fast turn around from when I ordered it...as a bonus Steve threw in a Ford C-6 auto. trans. and Holley 4150 carb. as a way of saying thanks...what a nice gesture on his part.:)))

The engine comes with a Toploader man. trans. connected to it...it will be a simple operation to remove the Toploader and attach the C-6. Size wise the big block is perfect...sitting in the engine bay of the 1:25 Gran Torino it fills it out much the same way the 460 fills the engine bay in the 1:1 version. The intake that comes with the engine kit (the engine kit being a 429 Cobra Jet) is the medium rise style that came out on the 1:1 429 CJ...I am going to build this engine with a medium rise intake so it is perfect. Instead of the air cleaner that comes with the Gran Torino kit, I am going to be using a resin cast version of the Moroso air cleaner that came in the ASA stock car kits. I will have to remove a small portion of the motor mounts that are molded into the frame so as to lower the engine into the engine bay so that the hood closes all the way down flush with the fenders.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Been working on some small things for the engine....

This is the 1:1 scale Ford big block power steering cooler...same as what would have been found in use with the police package units of the mid 70's.......this is mine , so I used it for scale reference measurements.

Same big block power steering cooler in 1:25 scale.....same Evergreen that I used for the AC condenser and same floral wire...thin scrap plastic for the mounting bracket that mounts to the top of the AC compressor.

This is the stock dimension oil pan that came with the Calnaga 429 big block. It is a separate piece and this is one of the areas where I am going to exercise my artistic liberties....Starsky more than likely would have wanted an extra capacity 7 qt. oil pan so I scratch built this pan by cutting the sump portion in half and adding material to get the desired depth and filled in with Squadron putty.....used a 70's era Moroso big block Ford oil pan as a reference.

This was a Moroso big block Chevy valve cover from Morgan Automotive Detail that I have re-worked into a Moroso big block (429-460) Ford valve cover...still have a little bit of clean up work left. I am going to make a gang mold of this valve cover since no else has it for this and future big block Ford builds.

I don't have a picture,yet, but I am presently working on an extra capacity C-6 transmission pan...the C-6 tranny that I got from B n L resin has a separate, stock depth transmission pan that I am scratch building into a deep pan w/ cooling fins....I am using a B&M tranny pan as a reference.......again exercising my artistic liberties as I am sure that Starsky would have wanted the extra capacity transmission pan as well.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Keep up the good work :))) :))) rlr
Kevin

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks!! .z. it's been awhile since I did a build that was not a stock car...http://z8.invisionfree.com/Scale_Racing_Lobby/index.php?showtopic=9927...
built this Edsal 2 1/5 years ago...presently, its on one of the back burners being built into a dirt Modified Street stock.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Decided against using the kit FMX transmission as it doesn't fit the police package criteria. This is the B-N-L Resins C-6 racing transmission. It is a two piece ...transmission pan and main transmission. I took the transmission pan and made it deeper and added cooling fins. I used the B&M C-6 tranny pan as a reference.

At present I am working on v belts and pulleys...I am using the kit pulleys ,alternator and power steering pump. I will have to make the v belts as the v belts for the 460 are routed different than those of the kit 351W. I had to make a crank pulley for the power steering pump as the kit version of the crank pulley for the power steering is now the crank pulley for the A/C compressor. Will be moving the power steering pump up a little bit for proper belt alignment and placement underneath the A/C compressor.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

« Previous Topic · ANYTHING OTHER THAN RACE CARS · Next Topic »
Add Reply