Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I'm blue....
Topic Started: Dec 6 2015, 12:09 PM (309 Views)
Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
No, I'm not imitating Leann Rhimes. I've got a couple of questions about...blue. I have seen the light blue question asked so many times, especially about Petty Blue, it's pitiful, but, here we go. Is today's Ford Grabber Blue similar to the 60's and 70's Wedgewood Blue? When I Googled "Ford Wedgewood Blue", I saw some cars from the 60's in the color I thought was Wedgewood Blue, then I saw newer cars that said Wedgewood Blue that were way much darker. I'm looking for the lighter color, that is very similar to Petty Blue. I am also experimenting with Tamiya paint for the first time. I have been a diehard Testors man, but I want to try something new. Which color of their paint is closer to the Wedgewood Blue of the 60's: their Light Blue, or French Blue? My reason for asking is in the print below. There is a story behind "Babe, the Big Blue Hearse." The owner of our firm bought two new Lincoln Town Cars in Wedgewood Blue in 1976 to use at the parlor. He liked the color so much that he wrote to Ford Motor Company and got the paint code, and all of our automotive equipment has been that color ever since. As a matter of fact, his son, our current manager, just placed an order for a new hearse in this same color. Since he found out I build models, he was curious if I could build an older model of a hearse in the blue to be displayed at our firm. I'm not a "rivet counter", so, the paraphrase, close enough counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, and Wedgewood Blue, as far as I'm concerned.
Posted Image
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Under, if you KNOW the paint code, why not just look for it in Dupli-Color in a touch-up spray bomb? Looks to me like that would end all the matching and mixing to get "Close". If its a color that can be had on a 1:1 today or even in the recent past, I would think some touch up would be out there. Just a thought.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Never thought of that. Just figured I'd stick with Tamiya. Good idea though. I'll get my boss to get that for me. Thanks Lefty.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Try this out for match..includes the Ford-Lincoln-Mercury paint codes.
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-...976/all-models/

you mentioned Fords Grabber Blue.....
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedispl...=Grabber%20Blue
Todays Grabber Blue is coded different as well as being tinted darker than what was used in the 60's and 70's.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Brian. I took Lefty's advice, and once I got the code, I went online and searched it. Dupli-color didn't have a match, but I found one through Automotive Touch-up. I'll be placing my order very soon. Thanks guys. I know this was a goofy question from the get-go. I should have used my head a little better. Man, in the age of the internet, model building has taken a whole new direction. puter7 mpc

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Under, the local parts store boys once mixed me up a 1/2 pint of Fawn Beige Metallic GM paint for a 1961 Impala build I was doing once. If you have a store that does automotive paint in your area, check with them and they can usually mix what ever you want. There might be a quantity you have to buy so check first. I have heard that NAPA can put it in a rattle can for you but I have never done this nor do I know the cost. Anytime I used automotive paint, I used the thinner/reducer and primer for that paint and shot it through an airbrush. I have only had one paint fail and I just shot it when it was too cold. Invest in a good polishing kit AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS and you should be fine. If you are unsure, test it on some plastic coffee spoons, they are cheap.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

resin-daddy
Member Avatar
Administrator /Old has been!!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
O"Rileys auto parts here mixes paint,i paid 14 Bucks for a 4oz bottle,if you have the code then it will not be a problem and they have ALOT of color chips to look at also.
The Smell,Rubber Burning,Nitro In the Air...Never mide me im just looking for my Meds

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Lefty and Resin. The website that Brian posted has 12 oz rattle cans for $20 that are a perfect match to the 70s Wedgewood Blue. They "said" all I need is a good primer, their base coat, and a quality clear coat. I'm sure that with it being aerosol, the shipping for hazardous materials will probably be about as much as the paint itself. I don't have an airbrush system, so this is my next best bet.

« Previous Topic · ANYTHING OTHER THAN RACE CARS · Next Topic »
Add Reply