Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2016 Drag Tour News
Topic Started: Dec 1 2015, 10:53 AM (631 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just found out about this news and thought I might pass it along.

News from the Podunkville World Guardian News Paper:

Local Businessman and operator of the Greater Podunkville Research Center, Leonard Leadbetter has announced that he along with Heckpussy LaFlamme will enter the 2016 Southern Fryed Drag Tour with a new car. Heckpussy was the Pushman and Crewmember of the Paitch-Valente Team last season and will this year be the Driver for this new team formed with Leadbetter. The pair plan to field a new AA/FA for the 2016 season.

Leonard has purchased a bare chassis from a man in L.A. and all that we know is that his name was Marcellus. The Chassis was a spare for the Marcellus Driver at some point and we understand he was pretty Wild. Mr. LaFlamme is working on the engine project at this time and there will be more news on that later. There will be more news on this team as information is released.

B.S. Fuller, World Guardian Reporter/Printer/Editor
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :)))

Duffy
Unregistered

Well, this was news to me too! I'd wondered where ol' Heck had got off to, I hadn't heard from him in weeks. I did some asking around yesterday, tho, and I've learned that, yes indeedy, he sold off a good bit of his holdings shortly after the last SFDT ended - five of his six vintage motorcycles, two notable blues clubs in West Texas, and the domain name to his popular animal rights blog - and has bought up a machine shop around the corner from Arnie Paitch's place in Fullerton CA. I'm headed out that way later this week, I will see if I can get in touch with him and report back to you lot.
Quote Post Goto Top

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is good news. We're only two months out and there's been little chatter about the 2016 Souther Fryed Drag Tour entries.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I do know of three other entries for the SFDT that are being worked on now. Delbert Hoyt Jr. is getting a 1953 Studebaker Coupe ready with a killer Avanti engine using R-5 heads. I questioned Delbert about that as I understood only two sets were ever made. He said: "There were three, The Granatellis had a set and Richard Bennett had a set and I have the third. They were spares for Due Centro in the 60's".

Roy Takahashi is going with a 1950 Olds Wagon in NHRA Legal M/SA trim. He has some sponsor help from Chesrown Buick-GMC-Chevrolet and was given some parts by Norman Chesrown himself. He says: "I'm not as well known as Dickie Smothers and not as fast as Ron Garey but we should do well. I should be able to get in the high 12's". High 12's in a '50 Olds Wagon? I think he would have better luck getting a Sherman Tank in the 16's. Good luck Roy, you're gonna need it!

Emily Cudahy, Granddaughter of Agnes is working on a 68 Dart with her Dad Horace. Work is stalled at the moment as Horace is trying to retrieve a 440 block we dumped in E.R.'s lake. He will need luck too. The Dart was also going in the lake for fish harbor but he talked us out of it before it went. I don't know why he wants THAT block but he does. We took it out of an old silver, blue and orange 68 Charger before we crushed it. He just HAD to have the Dart too. He claims it used to belong to some guy named Bagshaw that Agnes knew. Best of luck to them.

Duffy
Unregistered

Well, there's also The Colonel's daughter, Ruth Truth, peening down a Bantam to wrap around her bantamweight lil' frame. Not a lot of progress on this one since midsummer, as The Colonel and Arnie went off to lobby for restorations on the Bonneville Salt Flats; but now that it looks like that cause is gaining some solid support, they're all back at the Speed Shop to continue. Expect to see some new pix on this one shortly as well.

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Found myself a Rambler body and have been doing some "stuff" to it. The front shock towers were removed; they were no longer necessary for the tube axle front end. And that anemic 345 or whatever it was has been tossed for a dual quad BBC. Of course with the holidays and other life issues, work on it has been slow lately. However, just a word to the wise - don't be fooled by the "sheep's clothing". devil
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Duffy
Unregistered

Keeping the comments &such in this thread instead of cluttering up the "Enter" one; seems like a good idea, right?

Lefty, Bobby Bledsoe's car looks great! Beautifully turned out and just mean as HECK. Nice to see another fellow playing with the Potvin rig - our lady Ruth just smiled, took a real close look at the photos, and quietly slipped into the workshop and closed the door. It's locked. There are - sounds coming out, drilling and hammering - but we can't tell what's going on.

Just an update on the Ledbetter-LaFlamme car: Heckpussy has the basic block bolted up and is searching around now for a good injector system; there were, um, difficulties encountered in mating blower and stacks from what was on hand. He may have to machine something up from scratch. Stay tuned. - Meanwhile, he's pretty much finished working up the Bantam T body shell and wing, he's painting it now and should ship it out by the end of this week. He's also been working out & getting in shape for driving this thing: dropped 40 lbs. (although I can't say from where, he looks the same!) and is putting on a great show of practicing catching flies for reflexes. The flies are learning to steer clear of the workshop.
Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Duff, Bobby's car has a long history behind it. Leonard did some checking and found out the chassis started life as a Track Roadster somewhere around 1949 or 1950. It was owned by a fella named Sampson and had a number of drivers in it from the Kansas City Area and Wichita Kansas. He found a pic of it at Cejay Stadium in 1950.
Posted Image
The car floated around the area for a number of years with different owners and was being converted to a Super in 1959 when the owners wife found out what he was doing. The car was never finished and ended up in Leonard's Salvage yard about 1964 and sat on the back of this Diamond T farm truck until a few years ago when Leonard started working on it.
Posted Image
The engine was pulled from this 1957 Olds right before Leonard crushed it in 2008. The car was only half finished when Bobby bought it from Leonard and the engine was in boxes. It was bored, had a CSC custom crankshaft and a log manifold for six carbs. Bobby had the Offy intake and a Potvin front kit and figured he could get more power out of the Olds if he "Huffed" it. I sure would like to see Ruth and Bobby line up together, make a good show!

I have not heard about many other cars for the tour yet, just some guy putting a Fat Block Chevy in a Nash. I guess you can make ANYTHING fast if you have a big enough engine. Guess he's Hurtin' for parts.Posted Image

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I just spoke with Agnes this afternoon over at Madge Fimple;s Diner. Horace and Emily are thrashing on the 440 engine they salvaged from E.R.'s lake. I still don't understand why a guy would spend the money on Scuba gear and a Pontoon Boat to pull a 440 out of a lake. Horace thinks its "Special" but I don't see how. Here is a pic of the junker we pulled it from, maybe you guys can figure it out.
Posted Image

Duffy
Unregistered

Yo, Lefty! Here's the first Vanity Shot of our little Ruth's roadster. She gave it a few short passes along Euclid Ave. late last night and pronounced it driveable, and she and her new crew boss Charity Burnham are putting together her team (from the usual suspects, to be sure, but these women have a flair for the dramatic & it don't pay to argue) for the '16 Southern Fryed Tour. Stay tuned.

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"ET" is off to an amazing start. :)))

I hope he doesn't duplicate the 2014 season champ's season. Tom "Sarge" Enlow was nothing less than domineering, with 3 wins and 2 seconds out of eight races. Where are you Sarge?

DIRT is doing some real research trying to find out why we keep losing traction. We're thinking it may have to do with the IRS rear end. Until we figure it out we're going to dial back on the turbo boost. See y'all in Albuquerque.

Has a checkered past.

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
wisdonm,Feb 22 2016
08:34 PM
...DIRT is doing some real research trying to find out why we keep losing traction. We're thinking it may have to do with the IRS rear end. Until we figure it out we're going to dial back on the turbo boost. See y'all in Albuquerque.

The gang here at HRA all hope you guys figure it out. We'd really like to see what that amazing piece of hi-tech drag racing machinery is capable of, even if it means a tougher time for our old diggers. See you in Albuquerque!
Keep on buildin'

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Dirttrackdave, you have mail. Check your PM box.

Has a checkered past.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great news! I have just been in contact with Dave "Chargin Charlie". He and the entire AMB team will be running the remainder of the 2016 SFDT, starting at Albuquerque. Stay tuned for further details.

The experts helping us at DIRT have decided that our traction problems are being caused by the rectangular, sliding trunions binding under initial acceleration and locking the chassis in a squatted down position. Then upon the shift to 2nd gear, they would release and allow the chassis to spring upward causing the tires to loose traction and unpredictable darting.

They think the solution will be replacing the sliding trunions with rollers. These had originally been rejected because of concerns about inadequate load handling. Sadly, they will not be available for Albuquerque.

Has a checkered past.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
More good news. Teams are digging out of various storms and heading to Albuquerque.

Kelley Motorsports has confirmed their entry for Big Red Kelley. :)))

We're still waiting for confirmation from dirttrackdave. Where are you Dave. .?.

Has a checkered past.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
A little more Drag News from Podunkville. I talked with Agnes Cudhay yesterday and she told me she was a little upset with her son Horace and Grand daughter Emily for not having their entry ready on time. She said in order to get Emmy in the show, she would loan her one of her cars she picked up during her drag racing days that she purchased from her good friend "Richard". Now, I had no idea who Richard was but was really surprised to see the car!!!! Emmy is a lucky gal. This will be her ride for the 2016 SFDT and will be entered for next weeks event after some work and a good dusting off. I am going to have to get Agnes to let me in the large building where she keeps some of her cars and see what she has in there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Another up-date here just for fun. I saw Agnes this morning at Madge Fimple's Diner. She pulled out a old photo of her Drag Racing Pal she calls "Richard". She told me the photo was taken at Fontana Drag City in Calif. She also told me the car he is working on is parked in her building. I HAVE to get in there and look around.

Posted Image

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
OK Fellow Squirt racers, there sure has been a lack in chatter this year during the drag tour. So, to make up for that, I will give a rundown of the latest Podunkville news. Now I know not a single one of you are interested and could care less what the Hillbillies are up too but I will give a report for your entertainment, Boredom, or maybe just a good reason to smash your computer screen. If you find it hard to read, you should try living here and see how hard it is to face it in real life everyday.

Leonard Leadbetter has been spending extra time at the Research Center due to an increased product demand. Heckpussy LeFlamme is running short of cash at this time since he spent a bundle on a ball bearing collection. He plans to turn it for a profit claiming its the only collection of its kind. So far no takers. At the moment, they both do grease rag duty on Emily's racing effort.

Roy Takahashi, who as you know is Irish, will only run his 50 Olds wagon at local events. He has picked up a chassis we had out back here at GHR and he plans to enter the Stock Car Series next season. He said he may enter the SFDT next year with the Olds or maybe spend the time to build something that has a chance of winning. Hudson powered Anglia's and Sherman Tank Oldsmobiles won't cut it.

Del Hoyt Jr. has been busy working on a formula for polka dot paint that can be applied with a brush. Really Del?? He says he almost has it but the second coat process is giving him some problems. Another couple of weeks and he claims it will be "Spot on". Agnes told him she had a Top Fuel car in her building she would rent him for the season. She claims to have purchased it for a song at the end of '74 from "Tony" and its still pretty nice. Don't know yet if Del will go for it or not, the only other cars he owns is a '72 Lotus Europa, The Willys from last season and a Morris Mini.

So…..if any of you high-powered racers have any news to post, get to it. As of now, I have to go look for some Tylenol and Pepto and I haven't even been to Madge Fimple's today. Lefty.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That was some good racing last night. Congrats to Big Red.

We're heading out to Dirty Dicks on the river walk for brunch, then find somewhere to watch the NASCAR race.

Tomorrow we leave for State Capital Dragway in Erwinville, Louisiana. It seems mighty strange that none of the Bayou Bengal Racin Team haven't entered yet. Sure going to miss those good 'ol boys and their great cooking. I hope da Bayouman will at least come and watch. Bring the Barron boys with you.

See y'all Wednesday.

Has a checkered past.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It's going to be a super wet week in Erwinville. The forecast for Saturday is 85%chance of rain in the morning, but luckily only 5% at race time. So keep your fingers crossed and powder dry. At lest we won't need snow tires, it's going to be in the 70's. Time to find some etouffee.

Has a checkered past.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here we go again. The weather here in Gulfport has been pleasant so far, but starting an hour from now. it's supposed to rain for the next 48 hours, for an eerie repeat of last week. So stay dry and hope the rain lifts for Sat. night. Time to get some gumbo.

Has a checkered past.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Anyone planning on racing at Steel? Rain is foretasted for Thursday and Friday, but Saturday is supposed to be dry and in the 60's. maddr

Has a checkered past.

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Hmmm, dry and in the 60's should make my little Willys pickup hook-up. Don't anyone get in my way. tong
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Howdy. This is to inform everyone the the race next week at Rockingham will be a No Prep race. The track surface will not be prepped with any type of traction improver. They are running their Spring Nationals this weekend and we will use the track next weekend as is. This should improve the odds for the under powered cars, not that they seem to need any help this season.

So be ready to make any adjustments for the upcoming track conditions. See all y'all at the Rock. maddr

Has a checkered past.

« Previous Topic · SNRA Southern Fryed Drag tour · Next Topic »
Add Reply