Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Help with conversions
Topic Started: Oct 14 2015, 03:27 PM (1,080 Views)
Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hey guys...have really enjoyed scrolling through the builds on this sight. Awesome talent! I am getting ready to wade back into model building after several years of being away, and am wanting to try my hand at a diorama...one of those "forever dioramas", that never seem to get done, with the tinkering and detailing. My question is this: I have been playing on Google all afternoon and have found dollhouse items I think will work great for the diorama I have in mind. But apparently dollhouse accessories come in several different scales. I see one scale that is pretty previlant, and, according to the sights is what I am looking for. I am terrible at conversions so, my (newbie...don't hang me!) question is: is the 1/2" scale items they show the same as 1/24 scale? According to the sights that I search on, it says it is. Some of these items are prety expensive, and I didn't want to invest a lot in the first order to find out they are way too large for what I'm using. Thanks in advance y'all!
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Under, some of the doll house items work ok but try looking at the model train stuff in "G" scale. Also don't forget to check the bay in resin parts and you will also find some good items. Check Woodland Scenics.com for all kinds of items to help with your diorama.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Lefty! I'm a "converted" (or, I guess in my case, a REverted) model railroader, and I've seen some great stuff for G scale models that I can most definitely use. There's just a thing or three that I can't find in traditional model railroad stores or sites, but Google kept directing me to dollhouse furniture sites. They have some pretty neat things, and I just wanted to make sure what they are calling 1/2" scale coincides with 1/24 & 1/25 models.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
1/2" = 1 foot is definitely 1/24, 1:24 scale.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
:))) .z. :)))

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Welcome back to the hobby, can't wait to see your builds!!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
:lol: Thanks, Doc! Looking forward to getting back into it! Hopefully will start getting some things up here before long!

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:lol:
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
......Purchased a really neat modeling book today from the LHS ......despite being published in 1978, the book is full of great advise and how to's that I intend to use..... as it so happens there is a chapter that speaks on the subject of this thread. The 1/12 scale doll house furnishings and etc. that are the smaller detailed items can be used in a 1/25 diorama or even a kit build as the book uses the interior of a 1/25 70's custom van as an example of 12th scale doll house furnishings being used to finish out the interior.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Here is a modeling site that has a great scale calculator that I use often. The calculator is found at bottom of page. It does not take to long to figure out how to use it.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/private.php

Skeeter

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
No calculator is really needed. I use a metric ruler. 1mm (scale) = 1 inch (in 1:1). Therefore 6mm = 6 inches, 80mm = 80 inches. Works out to 1:25.4. Close enough for hand grenades. :unsure:

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
....The OP was questioning whether 1/12 doll furniture would work in a 1/25 scale diorama so the 1 mm. to 1" ratio does not work. Take for an example a 1/12th scale doll house compared to a 1/12 scale car.....proportionately the car would be huge sitting aside the doll house where as a 1/25 scale car would be proportionately correct sitting next to the house.
The doll house/furniture scale as it relates to model building scales is rather confusing to me as well. .?.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Undertaker, look up Modeljunkyard on Youtube and Modeljunkyard.com and you should find just about any answer to what you are trying to do.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lefturns75,Jan 14 2016
10:15 PM
Undertaker, look up Modeljunkyard on Youtube and Modeljunkyard.com and you should find just about any answer to what you are trying to do.

That's a neat website...thanks for sharing :)))
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Brian, the whole 1/12 scale dollhouse VS 1/12 scale car was what was throwing me off as well. That was exactly the problem I was hoping to resolve.

And Lefty, yes, since this posting, I have found modeljunkyard.com and have been reading their posts. Thanks for the recommendation!

« Previous Topic · AUTOMOTIVE DIO`s · Next Topic »
Add Reply