Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weathering Wood
Topic Started: Sep 9 2015, 11:58 AM (275 Views)
Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have just recently thrown together a "black pipe" trailer to haul my WIP 60's style short track Skeeter racer. It has "2X8 plank" runners. I need to give them the used look of mud, dirt, general wear and tear. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks. ;bb;
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Rick, there are many ways. I can show you the way I do it and it seems to work for me. This is not the only way nor is it the best way, just as good a way as any. I use a couple of products if picked up at the craft store in the acrylic paint section, a product called Rust All and some artist chalk pastels.

Here is a "Pipe" trailer with wood plank flooring. I sanded the balsa planks for the worn, rounded edge and broke pieces away and left the edges rough.
Posted Image

I gave these planks a coat of acrylic Barn Wood and followed with a couple coats of Weathered Wood. When dry they were given a coat of Testors Dull Coat.

Posted Image

You can use the artist pastels dust with a stubby worn brush to add colors for dirt, grime, and reds and greys for the weathered and rotted wood.

The weathered wood bed on this 23 T Farm Truck was done much the same way. I worked some pastel colors into the beat-up wood with a brush and the Dull Coat helps seal it in. Should you have more questions, please ask. I hope this gives you some ideas to try.
Posted Image
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for that information, I'll have to give it a try.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

« Previous Topic · HAULERS, TRAILERS · Next Topic »
Add Reply