Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dry run build
Topic Started: Aug 10 2015, 10:37 AM (2,423 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have a few Revell ASA kits in my stash and have never built one. I thought I would give one a try since I have been trying to think of my next build for the 2016 SNRA series and these cars fall in the time line. This is the T-Bird kit, or one of them, and I did this one up in just four days to get a feel of how it goes together and where I might make modifications. It is straight out of the box with no extra detailing except paint. So, here it is to look and laugh at. I am not sure at this point if I can pull it off, but I have the idea of using a Buick GN V-6 with a modified Buick Reatta body. The wheel base is there and I think most of it will fit. Its just in the planning stages and all this may change by next season.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sounds like a Kool project!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

John Gorday
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I like the Ford. Don't know much about the Buick.
It doesn't cost any more to be nice.

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Definitely outside the box, but, can you say nose heavy?

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
As GM hath wrought, you durn skippy! I figure with the rear drive racing chassis and set-back V-6 it might even out. I am not sure but this body may be just too short anyway. It looks as if the driver might end up in the rear package area. I am going to take a look at the Cavalier, Beretta and Trans-Am. If I don't see what I want the Chicken Hawk gets the nod. But really, what could be more "Nose Heavy" than a '64 Belvedere with a Hemi? A Pinto with a shot-gun 429 maybe.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
Richard Nixon

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lefturns75,Aug 10 2015
10:37 AM
I have a few Revell ASA kits in my stash and have never built one.  I thought I would give one a try since I have been trying to think of my next build for the 2016 SNRA series and these cars fall in the time line.  This is the T-Bird kit, or one of them,  and I did this one up in just four days to get a feel of how it goes together and where I might make modifications.  It is straight out of the box with no extra detailing except paint.  So, here it is to look and laugh at.  I am not sure at this point if I can pull it off, but I have the idea of using a Buick GN V-6 with a modified Buick Reatta body.  The wheel base is there and I think most of it will fit.  Its just in the planning stages and all this may change by next season. 
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Thunderbird looks great!! I have yet to see a sub par ASA T-Bird build.

I've been kicking around the idea of running the 1:25 MP C 1982 Ford EXP body or taking the Monogram 1/24 Kenny Bernstein's Budweiser King Ford Tempo Funny Car body and transforming one them into a Late Model body.....mock ups on the desk look plausible for both....final SNRA body rules pending.

As far as the Buick Reatta goes ,it is entirely doable...I have had to stretch Mustang II's to fit 108" wheelbase (1:1 Scale/ 1:25 scale 108 mm.) and also most recently the Mercury Capri II that Amy competes in the SNRA with.

The Late Models of the mid 80's(according to local rules) where running a 105" wheelbase...if it where me here is what I would do....

What ever chassis you decide to go with shorten it to 105 mm. wheelbase...unless you use the ASA chassis which is already at 105mm. wheelbase.

Here is what I did on the Mercury Capri II to get it to fit a 108 mm. wheelbase (stock wheel base 100 mm.)

Open the rear wheel wells up on the Reatta by removing body material on the front side of the wheel well....use what ever tire you are going to run as a guide.

Move the front wheel wells ahead as far as possible so that it still looks like a Late Model...use what ever tire that you are going to run as a guide ...if you still need more length add body material between the doors and front fender....I try and have a gap of 2-3 mm. between the tire and the body.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Brian, I have an old EXP kit around and thought about that too. To tell you the truth, I really liked the way the ASA kit went together and can see lots of places I can modify the thing to my liking. I think the Reatta body is just more work than I wish to do plus I hate to cut up a nice promo. By the time I modify the chassis on two cars the way I want em, I won't want to do much body work. I pretty much think the Bird is in and the dirt car will be a stock roof slab body car----depending on how the rules read. If Dave leaves any gray area there, you bet that is where I will build from. Cover your buns Dave! I will be looking for the loop hole!!!!! Brian I will say this, I have always been a GM guy for many years but in todays world should I get the chance to buy a new vehicle, it would be one with an oval on the hood.
Richard Nixon

Hondo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That's gotta be the longest radiator hose I ever saw........ :lol:
Spiffy looking Thunder Chicken, Lefty !! :))) :)))
Jim

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Whoa you guys, whoa! :P What I have said is the bodies will be 79 through 99, but on a Nascar Kit chassis, with some modifications allowed. That means full perimeter guys, no offset chassis, sorry. You should be able to find the rules from last year and years before in the SNRA Late Model section of the lobby, just not in the pinned area. The ones from last year, just with the cut off at 99 instead of all the way up to 2016, will pretty much apply again since so many of those kits are floating around out there cheaply, be they AMT, Monogram, Revell or Revell/Monogram and most of us probably have some laying around. :lol: Obviously by popular demand though, we will allow 6 and 8 cylinder engines, and you can otherwise get as fancy as you want with the kits, you can swap in a quick change for the 9 inch for instance, add bars and interior tin, use shorter trailing arms, single shocks, coil over or not etc., modify according for short tracks basically. Just still has be built on the foundation of the full perimeter Nascar frame and cage.

Now, Lefty George, that said, I would like to still see you build that Reatta body on the ASA chassis! rlr :)))

Dave B. Commissioner SNRA

AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well now, that opens a whole new can of worms. Sorry Charlie, the reatta goes back in the box along with the ASA kits. I will look up the past rules and review them but to be honest, that style of car is about as interesting to me as plain rice. It does make it much easier, now all we have to do is roll one out of the shop and repaint it. Saves Big E some money too. Brian, clear your desk, our ideas are out!
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Chargincharlie6,Aug 11 2015
08:53 PM
Whoa you guys, whoa! :P  What I have said is the bodies will be 79 through 99, but on a Nascar Kit chassis, with some modifications allowed.  That means full perimeter guys, no offset chassis, sorry. You should be able to find the rules from last year and years before in the SNRA Late Model section of the lobby, just not in the pinned area.  The ones from last year, just with the cut off at 99 instead of all the way up to 2016, will pretty much apply again since so many of those kits are floating around out there cheaply, be they AMT, Monogram, Revell or Revell/Monogram and most of us probably have some laying around.  :lol: ..............., modify according for short tracks basically. Just still has be built on the foundation of the full perimeter Nascar frame and cage.
Now, Lefty George, that said, I would like to still see you build that Reatta body on the ASA chassis! rlr  :)))

Dave B. Commissioner SNRA

Lefturns75,Aug 11 2015
09:15 PM
Well now, that opens a whole new can of worms.  ...........    Brian, clear your desk, our ideas are out!

Don't throw in the towel yet, George...Remember the 1:1 I.M.C.A modifieds from the mid 80's. ;bb; ...I can't speak for you but I've been here before badd ....If you where around any of them back then it should come to you. sepu

ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
LMAO! r:r r:r Brian, I understand exactly what you are thinking!!! I still want to see the rules in print before I cut one piece of tubing or weld a part. "MODIFY ACCORDING FOR SHORT TRACKS BASICALLY. STILL HAS TO BE BUILT ON THE FOUNDATION OF THE FULL PERIMETER NASCAR FRAME AND CAGE." Now if that rule applies as written and not changed in any way, I will proceed-----the way it was done when that rule applied to us in 1:1. OK, if "FOUNDATION OF THE FULL PERIMETER NASCAR FRAME AND CAGE" is whats called for, thats what they will get. ..//.. ..//.. . Want a job at Gohard Racing Brian? You think like we do!!!!!
Richard Nixon

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I will post up the rules in the pinned area for next year you guys. Then you can get started without any fear! :)))

There' a lot you can do with this sort of blank canvas. Check out Signmike's JP Cabana Nascar North Regal, I'll bump it up to the top here. I just want to make the SNRA as accessable as possible for all people of all ages.

Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lefturns75,Aug 12 2015
08:04 AM
LMAO!  r:r  r:r  Brian, I understand exactly what you are thinking!!!  I still want to see the rules in print before I cut one piece of tubing or weld a part.  "MODIFY ACCORDING FOR SHORT TRACKS BASICALLY.  STILL HAS TO BE BUILT ON THE FOUNDATION OF THE FULL PERIMETER NASCAR FRAME AND CAGE."  Now if that rule applies as written and not changed in any way, I will proceed-----the way it was done when that rule applied to us in 1:1.  OK, if "FOUNDATION OF THE FULL PERIMETER NASCAR FRAME AND CAGE" is whats called for, thats what they will get.  ..//..  ..//.. .    Want a job at Gohard Racing Brian?  You think like we do!!!!!

Nothing in the rules that says I can't run a 4 door since I have to run more glass than a Green house full of plants .....there is that '97 Ford Crown Vic x-police car (a Lindberg unit) that's been parked out in the weeds behind the shop...open up the doors, weld in a cage, weld the doors shut we be racin'....there's also that State Trooper Mustang (origin unknown) from the desert South West that got dinged up in a high speed pursuit that might get resurrected that's currently sitting in a waste dump in Roswell N.M that I might have to go retrieve...either way it's going to be car 54 where are you? all over again.

As far as the job offer...sure...why not....it will be like old times for me at least! If its o.k with big E, I would love more than anything to bring Amy along as an Ace in the hole.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
LOL! Brian, Big E has NO SAY in what I do or build at Gohard. That is one of the few things he don't own around here. Did you check the 2016 rules? I can (live with, work with, work around,under, over,through,behind and above) those. There will be a good amount of confusion, head scratching, rule-book searching and excedrin taken when I bring this thing out. And YES, It will be a Thunder Chicken which will (or should) fall (somewhere) inside the rules. I will send you a peep shot when things get rolling a little more. Believe me, Larry would be proud!
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lefturns75,Aug 12 2015
07:07 PM
......  Did you check the 2016 rules?
Yea...they are what they are....I figured the frame/chassis portion would be as it is posted for 2016 and already have a frame/chassis in the works...I got around that one with out much issue...nothing I can do about the glass though

Lefturns75,Aug 12 2015
07:07 PM
....... I can (live with, work with, work around,under, over,through,behind and above) those. 

Same here...break any rule that will bend rr21 ...... For me it makes it easy peasy only have build 2 basic/generic asphalt cars...I more than likely will have the car that I will be campaigning in 2016 done before the 2015 season comes to a close.....with a little luck Amy's done before the new year.
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Cripes you guys, what am I dealing with here, a bunch of Jr. Millers??? rr21 rr21 rr21

Dave

Either way, unless I do a straight Regal or put on the SMH Mirada or Imperial body on that chassis, I gotta build my own windows so I can see. rrr
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Chargincharlie6,Aug 12 2015
11:11 PM
Cripes you guys, what am I dealing with here, a bunch of Jr. Millers??? rr21  rr21  rr21
Dave

seriously.... I have no idea who Jr. Miller is...you or someone else on here will have to explain him to me. :)
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Jr. Miller???? Surely you jest? I don't see where some creative thinking and some bending--not breaking--a rule or rules puts us in the same class as Jr. Miller. Mark Donohue maybe. I think the whole idea here is to build a better mouse trap and not end up with a Rube Goldberg. My mouse trap will have everything the rules call for-----plus some things not mentioned. Its really nothing new, its been done before and when finished you will just say, "now why didn't I think of that"? Like I said before, cheating won't make you a winner. (but it makes the odds better) ..//.. ..//..
Richard Nixon

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Brian just to fill you in. Junior Miller is known as the "King of the Southern Modified" (or at least he used to be before Tim Brown and Burt Myers showed up). He has won six Bowman Gray Stadium (Madhouse)championships and has over 71 wins. He has been racing since 1979 and does not know what a rulebook looks like, let alone having read one. IMHO he is also an r8 .
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lefty George, Brian et al.:

I definitely do place you more in Mark Donohue's class, he was a truly creative engineer as well as driver, but the comic relief would have been missing! r:r r:r r:r
Incidentally, Wisdonm still uses a "Racemark" seat in his 1:1 sportscar racer, and anytime he can find one and get it into a model, too. Yes the mark in Racemark is for Mark D. If you've ever seen or had the AMT Matador stock car model, that's what it looks like.

Kerry did hit the nail on the head as to good ol Junior, too in my humble opinion. He's long past retirement age really, and his idea of someone "in his way" is that he isn't quite far enough behind that he can't still hit the car in front of him without using any brakes before he gets to the middle of the turn. I think he and his henchmen actually know the rulebook very well, they know all the stuff they have to hide that way, but haven't always done so very successfully, especially the older Jr. gets. Another reason he is, ahem, shall we say creative, is that he's so tight with the wallet that he squeaks. Cheated up parts are cheaper than new ones is my educated guess. rr21 With ol ER writing he checks, Lefty hasn't got that problem though, plus his driver is top notch!
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Since its been almost 30 years ago, I can tell this story now. On a Hobby Stocker, I added a 4" x 3" box to the left axle housing next to the center section of a 9" rear. I ran two wires and a 1/4" steel hose to it and ran them to "Nowhere". The top of the little box could be un-bolted and removed but there was nothing inside. We would raise the deck lid and let it be seen and then cover it with a towel. Sometimes me or one of the crew would remove the top and put it back on just for grins. There were all kind of rumors as to what the box was and competitors would stand around and look and think about it all season. Nobody, I repeat NOBODY ever mentioned the aluminum trailing arms, top link, or the fabricated spring buckets with jack bolts that we were not supposed to have. We were accused of lots of different things but not one person ever looked to see what compound Hoosier we had, that the steering was 6:1 or the brakes would have stopped a freight train. Did we cheat? I like to think we just built a better mouse trap. If you break a rule, you have gone too far. Bend em a little and you have an advantage. If it depends on the luck of the draw, none of this matters anyway.
Richard Nixon

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
....The State Trooper Mustang is now a no go mm1 ...had the waste dump owner send some pictures and its newer than a '99 Looks like its back to the "A" plan version 2.6 :unsure: scab some windows on a dirt Late Model and call it good.

Hey George at least there is a Silver lining...at least there is no engine set back rule nor wheel base rule and I could not find any mention stating that a sprint car type roof wing is illegal.
Next season will be different to say the least...looking forward to the building challenge none the less...
ON THE WORK BENCH....

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
LOL! I havent figured a wing into the build formula so I will let some other team deal with that problem. I have found that a V6 "looks" set back more but the distance between the bell housing flange and the center of the rear axle is the same as the rest. Cutting two cylinders off the front helps.

If you still feel the 4 dr. need, I have a 1988 Taurus SHO 4 dr. sitting out back. We might do some tradin' if you get the urge. E.R. wanted to put it in his lake for fish harbor but we gave him a couple of Chryslers instead. When they rolled em off the boat, they really did go in the water like a "Dart"! LOL!
Richard Nixon

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS ASPHALT · Next Topic »
Add Reply