Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'32 Bantam Altered from Arnie Paitch's Shop; Ruth Truth builds a Southern Fryed Ride
Topic Started: Jun 22 2015, 11:58 PM (910 Views)
Duffy
Unregistered

Inspired by their successful (read: nothing broke) 2015 Southern Fryed season, Team Paitch-Valente is back in Fullerton/La Habra and making grand plans for next year.
There're gonna be a few new cars in the stable, and some new faces too - crew chief Melvin Potts will be leaving to continue his acting career, so we'll be placing a want ad soon. Heckpussy LaFlamme, our pushman, is in conference with Lenoard Ledbetter about getting together & building a car, but we suspect a hidden motive there: Lenny's shop in Crabwell Corners is within potato gun range of Podunkville, where Agnes Cudhay's niece is housesitting as Agnes goes jetting around to goo'ness-knows-where, and Emily Cudhay has, um, struck Heckpussy's fancy. This is somewhat surprising, because if you look at the guy you gotta wonder where the fancy's kept. But, folks, he is well and truly smitten. Leonard just chuckles. Will a car get built there? Is LaFlamme just using a handy excuse to come doggin' 'round Emily's door? Stay tuned.

And then, there's Ruth Truth.

Posted Image

The Colonel Of Truth's only daughter showed up toward the end of the Tour, freshly bedecked with double Masters degrees in Engineering (thermodynamics) and Music (guitar). C.O. was a bit taken aback; his shy sweet little girl had returned - changed: chainsmoking and chainswearing, dispatching empty beer bottles by smashing them to smithereens against her head, walking into waterfront dives and picking fights with anyone who ever beat up John Steinbeck; but still skilled in turning on the Daddy's Little Princess as needed: OooooohhLOOOKIE at all the pretty cars, Daddy I want to drive one can I? Can I? Pleeeeeze??
Well, the rest of us think it's a great idea. She's rented out a corner in Arnie Paitch's Speed Shop and has collected some salvageable bits from the boneyard to work with.

Posted Image

We're basing this build on the AMT/Round2 Double Dragster kit, and the Revell Parts Paks '32 Bantam Roadster and Potvin-blown 283 Chevy. We briefly toyed with the notion of mounting the stock Fiat shell, but other issues came up that moved us away from that: first, the Potvin installation required that we move the engine back in the frame 8", and the amount of bodywork seemed excessive. Despite having to cut & fit to get the Bantam's cockpit to clear the rollbar, it seems like an easier job. And we just tho't it looked cool.

Posted Image

Everybody agreed the Bantam looked tubby. Ruthie's just a little slip of a thing (but don't let that fool you: toss her a crankshaft and she'll catch it one-handed) and we wanted to wrap the body around her. Tamiya masking tape in the 10mm (.394") size makes quick work of establishing cut lines for a 10" section, & I scored along the edges with an X-Acto knife to give me a precise trim line to sand to after cutting the halves apart.

Posted Image

Here's the first lay-up. The wheel guards on the stock frame needed beveling to fit inside the Bantam's fenders, and I may cut them down more to get the right height and angle once I see how the rest of the office lays in & also how low the motor sits in here. The spare tire nest was completely cut away to provide the opening for the chute pack.

We used the front & rear mounts from the AMT kit for convenience, & because that boilerplate scattershield looks trick. The rear tabs are trimmed to fit inside the rollbar braces, and the waterpump face was also sanded flat to mount up to the blower. The Colonel took that blower into the machine shop and faced off the end plates to cut two or three inches out of the stackup. Now at least we got room up front for the fuel pump, and the fuel tank may hang right over the axle for all we know right now.

That's all for one day's session. More later.
Quote Post Goto Top

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh yeah, this is gonna be nice!!!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) rlr continue to post updates please rlr

Duffy
Unregistered

carl,Jun 23 2015
10:18 AM
continue to post updates please

Heh. With MEE? No worries about that.
Quote Post Goto Top

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Duff, Ol Heck has picked up a new friend here. Leonards Pig Spaz follows him around all day. They seem to get along well and even understand each other. Spaz will sit beside Heck out front of the shop in the evenings. The on going joke around Podunkville is you can tell which one is which because Spaz don't wear a hat. Leonard tells me this Emily thing is slowing down the car building some. Heck insists that they have lunch at Madge Fimple's Cafe every day. Thats because Emily has lunch there about three times a week. Wish you could see how Heck turns into a shy little boy and turns a deep shade of red when Emily stops by the table and says hello. Leonard says he gets his words all backwards and such. He's not just smitten, he's Slammed!! As far as I know, they have a pile of metal in the floor but nothing that looks like a car yet. By the way, Vladimir is back, he is working on a hotter fuel, if that is possible. None of us can understand a thing he says but he still has a magic touch with turnips. He is also experimenting with potato peels. Agnes came home for three days before leaving with the General again. She had a one on one meeting with Heck in Leonards office and Leonard told me all he heard Heck say was Yes M'am over and over. Sure wish I could have been a fly on that wall!
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Duffy
Unregistered

Ah: Lefty, this explains a few things about Heckpussy's last txt to me. Now, he'll be the first to admit he's not real facile with this tweetin' & pingin' & stuff, but I was frankly flummoxed by his last missive from Crabwell Corners:
makin prgrss here vlad can turnip the power & sez we might peel out ell ohh ell* some pig ideas about the new car tell you later and ohh emm gee* agnes is terrifyin ell ohh ell* tryin to work on the car but theres happiness goin on here thats nothin about cars an thats a new thing for me ell ohh ell* bye
I think I Get a little more, now.

It's funny how relationships figure into a team's workings, isn't it? I watched the simpler, broader dynamics unfolding in this last season's racing and I'm hoping that experience will help me in this new one where we got The Wimmens in the mix. Yup, sincerely hoping that.

In any case: C.O. Truth (oh: Ruth tells me it should actually be "T.C.O" - his first name is "The"...), however scandalized he may be at his daughter's sudden presence, is proud as anything about it. He will pointedly avoid direct discussion about the car we're working on here, but he will privately spirit off pieces to the machine shop to work on in the wee hours, whereupon they will turn up complete and magnificent the next morning as if by magic. Or at least by The Underwear Elves, for all we know. It's sweet.

* You may notice, LaFlamme is still heroically resisting E-Speak acronyms in his own way.
Quote Post Goto Top

Duffy
Unregistered

Running up to the July Fourth weekend: The Colonel continues to work his compacting magic on this sprawling powerplant while Ruth and Arnie hammer and weld on the frame, & we got the pieces put together for a first roll-out this morning. Looks pretty okay so far.

Posted Image

The stock Potvin manifold wasn't gonna fit inside the frame. We faced off about 2", re-formed and shortened the two big duct pipes, and it works now. Moving the mill back as far as we did turned out to be a good thing as well, since Ruthie's about 5'5" and didn't require a whole lotta legroom. There's some shaving on the steering gear / clutch assembly too, but it's ugly & ragged so we're not gonna take no pictures of it. The fuel tank will get a cantilever bracket to hoist it over the front axle.

After some discussion, we chose this cosmetic midway mount for the radiator halfshelll. It sort of sets off the way your eye slams abruptly up against the firewall, dunnit?

Posted Image

The front tires are the little skinnies from Revell's ATTEMPT I kit. The 12-spoke rims required facing down to the edge of the spokes to fit the tires. With the AMT Racemasters in back, I think the stance is pretty good. What do you think?
Quote Post Goto Top

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks awesome! Great progress!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wild and wooly looking altered. Taking that one down the track should make you stain your knickers.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Duffy
Unregistered

Ohhh My Gunness it's been freekin' forever! Where did the Summer go? But people were busy - Heckpussy LaFlamme was off collaboratin' with Leonard Ledbetter on their AA/FA job The L Train, Ruthie went off to Paris to take part in the climate talks (and came home with the bruises to prove she'd been, uh, active), Arnie and Paige busy adapting a new kitty - but we've got something to show for it all, people, and here it is: Ruthie's Bantam, all greased, decked out and ready to kick some hoofed ungulate. Look out.

Posted Image

For those just tuning in, this is mostly the AMT Double Dragster kit, with a '32 Bantam body from a Revell Parts Pack, seriously sectioned to drape over the frame, and Ruthie's Bantamweight frame as well. Also from Revell comes the Potvin-blown Chevy, bored out to 300CID (this doesn't show up well in the photos, sorry). The paint is Guitar ReRanch Fender Vintage Blond, with decals P'Shopped onto Testors clear carrier.

Posted Image

A jaunty stance indeed, huh? Duffy was concerned that the flat-top manifold would give the car a kinda "starved turtle" look, but he's come to accept it, or at the very least to just shut up about it. He's currently working on another Chevy-Potkin installation, this time in a Dragmaster frame a'la Mooneyes, only not yellow...we personally like the look of this one, though, and Ruth is pleased. Her reaction:

Posted Image

Well, if you've been around Ruth, you'd know: that's pleased.

By the way, Ruth brought a new teammate in to the Arnie Paitch facilities here in Fullerton CA: meet Ms. Charity Burnham, 6'3" and impressive as heck, bouncer at The Lighthouse in Redondo Beach by night and Dry Lakes racer by day, full-tilt gearhead alla time.
"She's the new Team Boss," quoth Ms. Truth. "Any discussion on that?" Uh, no. We fine here. No prollem at all. Ms. Burnham towers over the proceedings and smiles, slow and smooth as Knob Creek Bourbon.

Posted Image

By the way - Duffy says:

"I got a confession, folks: as you see, this model isn't rigged. Much as I'd've liked to put on all the plug wires, fuel lines, linkage & such, my hands just ran out of fine-tune capability this week and I have to move on. I was lucky to have completed the collaboration with Ledbetter &co. (seen elsewhere) before the fizz in my fingers got too great, but it's here now and it'll be some weeks before the inflammation subsides. So, I'm putting paid to this one and getting ready for the next. We need to know when to pick our chips up and leave the table, like it or not, and I'm at that point tonight. See you on the next job - Duf."
Quote Post Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · DRAG · Next Topic »
Add Reply