Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Silver Slipper A/Fuel Dragster - Completed
Topic Started: May 31 2015, 07:03 PM (866 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
There are certain subjects I keep returning to repeatedly as my skills and techniques evolve. One is the í32 Ford, in particular the various Revell Deuce kits, and the other is the classic early to mid-sixties front engine dragster, in particular the super-light, super quick Junior Fuelers. In the second case my preferred base kit tends to be the mpc Ramchachargers Dragster kit. I like the ultra-low legs-under rear axle stance and the just-right proportions of its 160Ē wheelbase chassis.

Iím always thinking about my next dragster but these days I only seem to build one every 12 months or so. Now is that time, and this one wonít quite be a Junior Fueler, although Iím using the Ramchargers kit. This time Iím running a Big Block Chevy instead of the small block motor that was de rigeur if you were running a Junior Fueler back in the day (310 c.i. limit). This is because of a really pretty Enderle fuel injector setup I bought from Speed City Resin a while back. It only fits the Chevy Big Block so, BBC it is!

With this project I decided to experiment with large area decals to create a fogged panel style paint job. The underlying color is DupliColor Metalcast metallic Ground Coat which is a near perfect 1/25th scale silver metalflake. If you print homemade decals on an inkjet printer you will quickly realize that the colors are very transparent and the base color shows through strongly. So inkjet color decal + silver metallic base coat = kandy color. Using Photoshop I made decals to create the fogged panel paint job I was thinking of. It took some experimenting but the technique works quite well. This one is very simple but now that Iíve figured it out I think Iíll be using it some more.

Below are a couple of composite pictures. The first one shows the Western Manufacturing Special body shell from Altered States Models I used, and the Enderle injectors from Speed City Resins. The second shows the decal layout I made and the decals applied to the silver body. All that remains in the bodywork area is applying trade decals and clear coating everything. The chassis is about half done and Iíve begun work on plumbing and detailing the motor.

Thanx for lookiní,
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Duffy
Unregistered

Ohhhhh Bernard. You are too clever by half. The concept of somebody actually turning the big weakness of inkjet decals into a positive is - well, too long in coming, just for starters. I imagine a lot of us are gonna be rethinking our procedures after this. Thanks for shaking things up (again!).
Quote Post Goto Top

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking awesome Bernard!!!! You always seem to out do the last build you've done and this one is on it's way to do just that!!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

old coyote
Member Avatar
Grumpy Old Furbutt
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great concept and beautiful execution B) fbr jsm :)))
I may have to grow old ....... but I refuse to grow up !!!

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks guys!

All the major assemblies are now done. As I write this Iím in the middle of final assembly. Below are some pictures showing the Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland photo-etch wire wheels I used with a breakdown of the various parts in the system and final result. Beautifully detailed with some incredibly finely detailed parts (check out the hubsÖ), they are a tremendous improvement over the kit wheels.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The motor is finished and fitted to the chassis. Not shown in the pictures are the injector stacks and the zoomy headers. Much of the rest of the build is straight out of the kit. The one change I have made is to run the steering tie rod outside the body, again not shown because itís a one-shot deal during final assembly and doesnít lend itself to a mockup.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Iím shooting for completion this weekendÖ Hopefully the Gloo Gawdz will cooperate.

Thanx for lookiní,
B.
Keep on buildin'

Duffy
Unregistered

Well, it's just shy of eight hours after the last post's timestamp, so we can assume this one's in the case by now, is that correct? Real nice build - as I'm looking at the rack of injectors atop that Chevy block, I'm becoming aware of a subtle bias I had as a kid & still: everybody but everybody was stuffing blowers into every model they did, whether street or strip, and I'd be going "enough already" - nice to see you building a mixer with more confidence than that. The Little Enderle That Could, if you will.

And I'm very happy for the introduction to Replicas & Miniatures and have sent for their real paper catalog. I love how comprehensive that little bag is, assembly jig and all.
Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
All Done! Here are the Beauty Pics. Thanx to all for following along.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Duffy
Unregistered

Okay, 25 hours. He needed a nap.

Man, you weren't kidding about the ground clearance! Gotta remember that if I go with an aftermarket shell. I understand you can re-form resin with just hot water as your heat source, but I would want a lot of practice before I attempted mussing with contours like we got here; any correction along the bottom would have to blend perfectly with the gentler radiuses in the run aft, or we'd lose the whole thing. Try to just flatten the pan and you'll end up with love handles like a Miyata. No, thank you.

REEEL purty overall, and the Zoomies are just perfect. Thanks for sharing!
Quote Post Goto Top

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
fbr My, oh my, that is a mighty pretty rail. Got to agree with Duffy, glad to see an injected mill. I have way too many blowers in my parts box.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Now thats a fine looking digger there Bernard! Once again some fine work and parts mixing. Your stuff always gives me ideas and since I have a couple of these kits in the pile, I just might have to see what kind of mess I can gloo up. The last time I touched gloo to one of these kits was around 1968 so I don't remember much about the building process. Any glitches to watch for? I will have to check in to the wheels as those are just too sweet. Keep building my man, I always love to see what kind of nutsy idea you come up with next. Sooper Dooper work! wnw
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Beautiful build Bernard!!!!!!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That is one beautiful dragster, well done! fbr fbr fbr
Kevin

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks so much to you all for the kind responses. I have to admit I'm quite pleased with the outcome of this project. I was trying several new techniques and materials and I wasn't certain where it would lead.

The decal technique in particular was a big unknown but, much to my relief, it turned out having fewer pitfalls than I had thought. If you ever attempt decals of this size just remember that the decal film likes to stretch. My designs were quite accurate as to size and placement and I stretched the nose decal slightly oversize so that there's less fogging on the tip that I had intended. Otherwise the practice matched the theory pretty closely.

As regards the ground clearance the actual ground clearance on the model is probably close to zero. It's pretty tight using the Ramchargers kit body and the added curvature and thickness of the aftermarket body just made things worse. But there's a way to correct it somewhat and that's to raise the interior seat unit. In the stock kit installation the seat drops below the bottom frame rails. Raising it will have the effect of increasing the axle height. It's something I'll remember to do next time. That little Western Mfg. body from Altered States is mighty pretty and I have no doubt I'll be using it again.

And I completely agree regarding injected mills. They're so clean and purposeful and they are the perfect complement to this style of dragster.

Overall, the MPC Ramchargers Dragster is one of the great kits with a superbly conceived and detailed chassis. There are no serious issues with assembly either. I only wish it came with a proper old-style 392 Hemi rather than the later 426 common to all the mpc dragster kits. But it's the only legs-under digger kit out there which gives it a dramatic low-slung stance with those slicks towering over the cowl. When you get right down to it, in all of racing there are few cars prettier than these mid-length wheelbase full bodied 60's FEDs. They can be addictive. I seem to attempt one every 18 months or so...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the kind and generous comments. I'll be away from the workbench over the summer but I have plans for another circle track racer in the fall.

B.
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Broken Photobucket links repaired. For now I'm only updating completed model pics. Updating w.i.p. links is just too huge a task! I'll update them on request...
Keep on buildin'

« Previous Topic · DRAG · Next Topic »
Add Reply