Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Georgia Super Modified - Finished; Charlie Burkhalter 1968
Topic Started: Apr 5 2015, 08:14 PM (1,153 Views)
skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
For the 1968 race season, Athens Speedway replaced the "Skeeters" with a Super Modified racer. Charlie Burkhalter drove during 1968 at Athens and surrounding tracks. Charlie told me that he just about lapped the field at the half mile asphalt at Jefferson Speedway one Sunday afternoon..."That ole car was running around there like a junebug on string".

Posted Image

Most of the Georgia cars were built by Herman Wise of Toccoa GA. Herman copied the frame of fellow racer Wayne McGuire out of Kentucky. 327 small block Chevy with 80 inch wheelbase.

In 1960, McGuire built his most famous car, which he made so successful for approximately 8 racing seasons. According to Open Wheel Magazine, he builtů "Undoubtedly the winningest super modified in racing history with some 150 checkered to its credit (April, 1993)" The car was build out of a mixture of parts including a frame of 2-1/4 inch chrome moly tubing which weighed 175 pounds, a '36 Plymouth front axle with Ford spindles, and the steering was supplied from a '56 Chevrolet truck. Many car designers including Herman Wise copied this car that McGuire made famous. Wayne being an innovator of his class and time also was the first to experiment with tire stagger, which is still used today in dirt and asphalt racing. The #41 machine created many first in innovative ideas and the wing was no exception. After being developed by Jim Cushman, McGuire quickly caught on to the idea and made it his own

Posted Image

The body is .030 plastic sheet cut-out using template from our very own Roadhawg.

Posted Image

The back deck is .015 plastic curved over 5/16th round plastic tubing.

Posted Image

Pretty quick build using the AMT Super Modified kit reissued by Dirt Track Racer. The biggest challenge is reworking the roll cage.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) rlr :)))

John Gorday
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very nice. :lol:
It doesn't cost any more to be nice.

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks awesome!!!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

resin-daddy
Member Avatar
Administrator /Old has been!!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great build :)))
The Smell,Rubber Burning,Nitro In the Air...Never mide me im just looking for my Meds

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Finished the Charlie Burkhalter Super Modified today. Plan on taking it to the Athens Speedway reunion this weekend April 11, 2015.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Here is a picture of Charlie's Super Modified that has been restored by his son Charles Jr. taken at the 2014 Speedway reunion.

Posted Image

John Gorday
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great job, Gary. Very nice indeed. :lol:
It doesn't cost any more to be nice.

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Awesome build Skeeter, turned out fantastic!!!!!!!!!! rrr fbr
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Mighty fine replica of the real race car, great job! fbr fbr fbr
Kevin

Hondo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :)))
Yet another fine one, Skeeter.
Those were so cool and the drivers pretty brave, I'd say........
Jim

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
You have done a super job on that replica and I would say you nailed it! I think its safe to say that the drivers of that era had to have some "Stones" and I don't mean the tires. Those guys were supermen. Again, Super job here, I love it! brvo fant
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

jpmracing
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
rrr :))) :))) :)))
PIERRE MICHAUD

check out my other builds
http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/jpmracin.../?sort=2&page=1

grampa55
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That is a out standing build!! rrr wnw How did you make the wing bracket on the back of the roll bars? Really good job!! brvo Neal

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hi Grampa55,

It is just Evergreen 1/8"(.125)round tube glued to the roll cage. The wing supports are made of Evergreen 1/16"(.062)solid rod. The rod slides through the tubing.

Thanks for the question.
Skeeter

« Previous Topic · THE EARLY YEARS · Next Topic »
Add Reply