Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
’50 Ford Convertible Mild Custom
Topic Started: Mar 27 2015, 04:15 PM (384 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
’50 Ford Convertible Candy Cherry Mild Custom
(More pictures below)

Another one from My Back Pages, in this case an AMT Shoebox convertible from about 4 years ago refreshed, refurbished and re-photographed about 2 years ago.

I’ve always liked the look of the ’50 Ford Shoebox’s grill with its massive chrome wraparound so mainly I just cleaned up the side trim some, shaved the trunk lid and doors and used the chopped windshield and a resin copy of the original kit Carson top.

The interior is pale gold and white tuck and roll made from styrene sheet with seats from the AMT ’53 Studebaker kit and a center console from the AMT ’49 Merc kit.

The chassis and Caddy V8 are from an unfinished build of the AMT ’49 Ford coupe I had started. The front is lowered about 3 scale inches with the kit’s standard alternate front axle position. I lowered the rear end the same amount using scratch built lowering blocks so that it would sit fairly flat. The white walls and Caddy hubcaps are from the Revell Merc kit, as are the lakes pipes.

Paint started with Duplicolor white primer followed by a Duplicolor Gold base coat and two coats of Duplicolor Cherry Red Metallic and then two coats of Krylon Crystal Clear gloss acrylic. The top is finished in Duplicolor Wimbledon White with a coat of Testors Dull Cote over the top.

Everything else is from the kit.

Thanx for lookin',
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) jsm
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
One Nifty Fifty Bernard!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) Beautiful Ford, it just screams 50's custom. Great job.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) fbr B)

dirtman
[ *  *  * ]
Beautiful. Love the Carson top! Nice touch...

Rett

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanx everyone. Still one of my faves on my shelf even if my skills have improved since then. Those Shoeboxes definitely have "The Look". Unfortunately the AMT '49-'50 Fords have been my nemesis for years. I've started at least 6 of them, but this convertible is the only one that ever made it to completion. I have one on my bench right now. I hope I finally find a way the beat The Curse...
Keep on buildin'

« Previous Topic · ANYTHING OTHER THAN RACE CARS · Next Topic »
Add Reply