Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Revell's Stacey David Rat Roaster Revisited
Topic Started: Feb 26 2015, 11:03 PM (442 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Revell Stacey David Rat Roaster Revisited
(More pictures below)

I thought I would post this project completed in 2013 no too long after Revell had released it's Stacey David Rat Roaster kit. As I'm building my first dirt track modified I am reminded of this build from early 2013 which featured liberal quotes from circle track race cars. I hope you all dig it.

Revell’s hotly anticipated revision of its venerable ’32 Ford Highboy Roadster kit, a replica of television personality Stacey David’s flashy Rat Roaster street rod was received with much discussion and controversy. Many were impressed with the new parts (particularly the wheels and tires) and modern small block Chevy motor. Others were disappointed that Revell didn’t go all the way and revise the suspension to copy the I-beam front end and sophisticated trailing link rear end of the 1:1. The interior, too, while very striking and highly stylized, was sure to be controversial and hardly universal in its appeal.

But with the old roadster kit no longer in production, and with Revell finally offering an alternative to the dreaded “Wide Fronts” (tires) which had blighted the front end of all their Deuce variants to date, there was much to like about the kit and initial sales were brisk to say the least.

Personally, I was like most modelers, conflicted with The Good (the tires and wheels, the stock style firewall, the fact that a roadster is back in production, the SBC motor, the nice dashboard, the hairpins and the chopped windshield), The Bad (the air bag rear end which refused to die, the absence of the 1:1’s I-beam front suspension, the fact that the wheel/tire system was not compatible with most other kits’ wheels and tires, the notched frame rails to accommodate the exhaust pipes’ connection to the sidepipes, the Rat Roaster specific body modifications, particularly to the rear end, etc.) and the Ugly (the porthole infected hood, the wimpy little seats, the disappointing blower and carb setup, the integrated disc brake/front fender bracket system, etc.). So I decided to address the “issues” and see if I couldn’t come up with a version that was more to my taste while sticking as close as possible to the 1:1.

Surprisingly, I landed up making only a relatively small number of modifications which I think resulted in a significantly different take on this car. The overall theme exploited the sprint car style elements of the 1:1 while deleting many of the cornier rock ‘n’ roll and hotrod/kustom kar themes. Listed below are the changes I made.

Motor: Deleted the blower and carb setup and substituted sprint car style Hilborn injectors and K&N conical filters courtesy of TJ’s Custom Castings ( http://stores.tjscustomcastings.com/StoreFront.bok )
Interior: Drilled out all the fake holes so they’re real now, and substituted replica Speedway Motors drilled out bomber seats courtesy of ThePartsBox.com ( http://www.thepartsbox.com/ ). Finished the bare metal areas in Testors Metalizer Aluminum Plate. Made a standard ball shift lever to replace the microphone shift knob (!).
Bodywork: Deleted the fenders. Substituted a stock hood. Substituted teardrop style rear tailights.
Chassis: Lowered the front suspension to increase the rake by shaving four leaves off the front spring.
Paint and finishing: Main body color is Duplicolor #E8801589 Nightshadow Pearl metallic blue over white primer and Duplicolor Silver base. Chassis finished in body color with Duplicolor Silver floor panels. Wheel centers finished in Testors Metalizer Magnesium.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
NICE

fbr fbr fbr
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
jsm You can park that one in my garage anytime. The mods, though subtle, do make it a completely different Hot Rod. Good job.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Dutchman
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The changes you have made make this one sweet hotrod. Well done sir! :))) Denny