Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
AMT '37 Chevy Modified - Completed 03-11; New improved final pics 3-22
Topic Started: Feb 21 2015, 09:14 PM (2,502 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's photographic evidence that I've actually started first my dirt track modified build. I'm in on the deep end - this Hot Roddin', Drag Racin' rookie has an awful lot to learn. Follow along as I pester you all with endless questions!

Posted Image

I'm going to stick pretty close to the box build, which is unusual for me, but I'm learning as I go so using the instructions, which are pretty good in this kit, will help me understand what I need to learn. I've started on the motor and part 1 of the chassis build up and some questions have already popped up.

In order to continue with the sequence of build in the instructions it's time to think about pre-painting some parts, particularly the inside tin work. My memories of dirt track racers is pretty much limited to seeing cars towed to Pennsylvania and New York tracks when I was growing up in downstate New York in Dutchess Country which is just over the line from northern Connecticut. The biggest town is Poughkeepsie. Anyway, I never got a close look at them but I have a sense of the overall fit and finish and color schemes. Most of the cars I saw were what we called "jalopies" so the finish was pretty rough with opaque colored paint schemes and sign-painted lettering. But I never saw the interiors. I'm thinking of finishing the frame in a cream color and thought about finishing out the inside of the bodywork and interior tin in the same color. Does this make sense? I haven't settled on an exterior paint scheme other than it will be two-tone with the bodywork below the beltline in a lighter shade and the roof and rear deck a darker one, with decals to complement them. I don't build replicas as a rule so this will probably be a fictitious car.

Any advice about paint and colors will be most welcome, as well as any tips you may have about building this kit.

Thanx for lookin',
B.
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hondo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :)))
Nice start so far, Bernard.
Whatever you want for color on the frame and interior will be just fine. Me personally. I like enough difference for the colors to highlight each other (if that makes sense).
On your Tobias chassis there, I like to cut off that last "D" looking piece and get the rear bumper bars closer to the body. Not jammed up to it, but just enough to look better.
There is one front loop bar near the radiator area...... I leave it off because the hood won't fit low enough for me.
Just my 2 cents and options.
You'll do fine on yours. Keep posting pics, my friend.
Jim

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Good start on your car will be watching your build rlr

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks guys. I like some of your suggestions, Jim. I'll check them out as I move forward on this project. Meanwhile I got some more work done, including stealing an idea from your 71 car, a definite influence on my '37 Chevy. I liked the way you radiused the opened-up door windows without removing material from the door by the A pillars. It looks real tidy and avoids weakening the body structure. The way I did mine was to determine where the stock corner radiuses begin along the bottom edge and use those points for the ends of my horizontal cut. I first cut vertically at those points with by trusty photo-etch saw, then scored my way through the reveal edge. After removing that piece, having marked out what I thought would be an attractive looking radius, I used a round sanding stick to shape the new corners. Here's some pics:

Posted Image

I've started work on the motor, having painted the engine block and transmission, and I'm painting smaller bits, wheels, etc. I'll probably tackle the main body painting and the interior tin next, but I haven't quite settled on the color scheme. The side rails need to echo the body color scheme which has a knock-on effect on the chassis color. This process would be a bit easier if I knew less about modeling but more about dirt modifieds!

Thanx for lookin',
B.
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm making more progress. I'm enjoying this kit a lot. I enjoy the detail and the research I have to do to get a handle on building it right. I'm trying to stick closely with the build sequence in the instructions which seem to be pretty much on the money as far as avoiding any problems with construction.

The last few days have mainly been about painting and detailing. I'm trying to give it a utilitarian look which is the vibe I'm getting from the pictures of the original cars that the kit seeks to model. The chassis and all the interior surfaces except for the chassis tin work are painted Duplicolor Cream, a kind of medium light beige color. The cockit tin is finished n Testors Metalizer Aluminum Plate. The basic body color is Duplicolor Chrome Yellow. I'm thinking I'll add some red trim paint along the edges of the roof and rear deck and red numbers and lettering to match which I'll do with home made decals. The motor is standard Chevy Engine Orange.

All the chrome bits have been stripped and refinished in various shades of Testors Metalizer. The exception is the wheels. I'm using the kit wheels but they have been refinished in Testors Acryl Jet Exhaust, which is a pretty close match to the Dow 7 anti-corrosive finish used on Halibrand mags. The tires are from Big Donkey with a small "pony tire" for the inside front and a staggered oversize outside front. I've included a picture of the rear quick change because I thought it was an especially nice piece in the kit and it responded to paint detailing rather well.

Thanx for lookin',
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

Dutchman
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice work so far! :))) rlr You have done your homework! rlr Denny
Powered by ford

Hondo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking great so far, Bernard. fbr
Good choice on the wheel color, I do that as well.
I'm not too fond of the "build a bodies", but overall YES, they are fun kits.
I usually have to do some modifications to the cage also to make it fit a body "more snuggly" if you will.

You're doing a fine job and it's gonna look awesome !!
Jim

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great work so far Bernard, keep in mind if and when looking for ideas. Google is a good friend when looking for photos of stuff.... I have looked at a lot of stuff on there and gotten many ideas!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks everyone for your very kind and helpful comments.

Iím quite far along on this project. Itís largely an out-of-the-boxbuild since I not very expert in this type of racing and Iíve never built a dirt track modified before. When I bought the kit it was used and quite a few of the parts were loose in the box, although it had never been started. I checked the parts carefully against the instructions and everything seemed to be present. Unfortunately there was a small hole in the bottom of the box that I didnít notice and a few of the small parts have gotten lost, notably part of the header assemblies and the hubs to the wheels. So Iíve had to do a bit more improvising than I thought I wouldÖ

The chassis is completed now with the exception of the rear nerf bar. The engine has been built. I was able to substitute a resin aftermarket header set for the lost kit exhausts with some cutting and fitting. Theyíre finished in Testors Metalizer Gunmetal. Most of the chassis details are finished in various shades of Metalizer as well. Iím going for a relatively utilitarian look to emphasize the abundant detail this kit offers. Everything fits very well and the instructions provide an excellent sequence of assembly. The only mysterious omission is a lack of steering gear and lever arm at the end of the tie rod. Iím sure Iíll build another one of these and in that case Iíll add in the missing detail. I also added a proper racing harness to the interior.

The other change I made is to substitute some very well detailed dirt track tires from Big Donkey Resin which look very nice with the refinished kit wheels on the fully assembled chassis.

The body color is Duplicolor Chrome Yellow with Duplicolor Flash Red trim on the roof and rear deck. I also cut back the rear deck.

Next up is making some homemade decals. This has become almost a trademark on my racing car builds. My habit is to wait until the car is fully painted and the stance properly dialed in before doing the design work on the graphics. In this case it meant that the car is almost complete. Below youíll see a sequence of mockup shots where I use Photoshop to create virtual graphics before actually printing and applying the decals. On the final build up Iíll probably add additional trade decals and some graphics on the engine cover as well.

Thereís probably another week of bench time before this car is done. Iím really enjoying exploring this area of automotive competition and Iím pleased to have been afforded such a nicely engineered kit to get started on building dirt track modifieds.

Thanx for lookiní,
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
With all the nice chassis detail and a kit thatís designed to allow for a simple lift-off body shell I couldnít resist a little Photoshop Phun while mocking up my graphics.

I started with a rear view of the chassis with the body off and body on, using a tripod and being careful not to move the car when lifting the body off.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then, using Photoshop I ďcutĒ out an image of the body and overlayed it on the bare chassis image. Because the camera alighmnet and lighting are identical for both images this allowed me to create a ďghostĒ image of the body over the chassis. I also took the opportunity to mock up the graphics at the same time.

Posted Image

And finally, hereís the same image with the transparency of the body and decals removed:

Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Dutchman
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Now that's impressive. You have captured the look of a 70s Eastern Modified. Well done sir!

Your work with computer graphics are the best too! Denny :)))