Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jr. Johnson 1965 Ford
Topic Started: Feb 8 2015, 06:54 PM (1,093 Views)
Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Gentelmen, permit me to post a build of mine from 1989. Some of you may have seen it before as I have posted pics on other forums in the past. It is starting to show its age and parts are beginning to fall away and I thought I would share it with you here before placing it in the back of the display case for retirement.

The kit used was the old AMT Count Down series from the late 1970's. The only aftermarket modeling parts used in this build were some Fred Cady Decals and spark plug wiring from MSC. Everything else was scratched from sheet plastic, Rod, Tube, File Card, Paper Clips and bits of wire I lifted from different electronic items. It was a winner in a few contests in its day and even made a couple of model car rags. By todays standards, it wouldn't even get a second look. We have come a long way in the hobby since then.

Posted Image

Posted Image
In the trunk area the Firestone Fuel Cell is made of sheet plastic with vent hose, supply line with filter and filler tube. The dual rear shocks can be seen sticking through the trunk floor and mounted to the shock tower made from tube and sheet plastic. All shocks were made from .093 evergreen tube and the shaft is from a paper clip.

Posted Image
The engine bay is detailed using a hood open photo from a 1965 Motor Trend Magazine. Engine Oil cooler, remote filter, wired and plumbed and what ever else I could think of. It is the kit engine with the air cleaner from the newly re-released 66 kit from that time.

Posted Image
The molded in exhaust was cut away and the floor you see is the interior tub with file card to fill in all the gaps. The exhaust dumps are aluminum tube and the kit rear axle was modified with a rear end cooler and pump and was plumbed.

Well, thanks for looking guys and this old girl goes to the back of the display for retirement and quietly sit out her days until the grand kids toss it in the dumpster when I am gone.
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Nice build :)))

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image AWESOME scratch building!
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) fbr :)))
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Very nice...
Michel Maheu

henryc43
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Very nice!! :))) :)))

old coyote
Member Avatar
Grumpy Old Furbutt
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very nicely done sir ......... an amazing build for its time, or any time for that matter fbr B) :))) jsm
I may have to grow old ....... but I refuse to grow up !!!

MarkJ
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
By any standards this is an excellent model. Nobody could improve on what you have done with this today. Not even Clay Kemp.

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
fbr fbr Not get a second look by today's standards? Geez....my model building skills must be archaic! This is a first-class build by ANY standard. Yes, I agree, there are more aftermarket items available, and personally, I see that is a pro and a con. It's a pro that even the most "artistically-challenged" modeler like me can still turn out a decent looking replica. The down side is it hinders creativity to a degree, such as using index cards, clips, etc., to achieve your desired effect. You still have an awesome replica there Lefty. Hope my stuff turns out 1/10 as nice!
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
May be an older build but she has a great look about her!!!! Great build for sure!!!!!!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

henryc43
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Very nicely done! :)))

« Previous Topic · NASCAR · Next Topic »
Add Reply