Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tin Box Build #4 - '32 Bantam Competition Coupe
Topic Started: Jan 21 2015, 12:07 PM (742 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
’32 Bantam Competition Coupe
(More pictures below)

This is the fourth and final build extracted from a single AMT Double Dragster Kit “Tin Box” Special Edition. It’s a competition coupe based on the two single engine side rails from the Double Dragster kit and a resin ’32 Bantam coupe body shell I found on e-Bay. The special edition metal box version of this kit contains an extra dragster chrome tree which gave me most of the additional dragster parts I need. The kit also comes with two sets of dragster frame side rails, a twin side-by-side engine set, and a set for a single or in-line twin setup. These were the key to getting a 4th and final build from the Tin Box.

Needless to say on build #4 the old tin box was getting pretty empty so the hemi I used came from an AMT Hemisphere kit with the eight ‘97’s and log manifold from the Double Dragster kit. The Double Dragster kit also supplied the frame rails, the slicks, the front suspension and the seat and interior details. It could have supplied the quick change rear axle, too, but I decided to save that for a future build and substituted a rear end from a Revell Deuce kit. All the chassis cross members and the x-brace for the roll cage are scratch built from styrene rod and tubing, as is the push bar, the suicide perch at the front and the steering gear. The front wheels and tires are from a Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit. The rear wheels are from an AMT ’36 Ford kit, with the axle covers drilled out and the chrome treated to a coat of black wash.

I figured the final “Tin Box” build should have a bare metal look so the body paint is Testors Metalizer Magnesium finished off with a rubbing of Wave Kosutte Gin San “magic dust” chrome powder to sharpen the metal highlights. The Tin Box No. 4 decal set is home made.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tin Box family portrait:

Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
OUTSTANDING Bernard! Gees, what a great looking set! Love the really mean look of #4. Great job, :))) :))) and keep em comin!

Dave B - Bayouman
Laissez les bon temps roulet - "Let the Good Times Roll!"

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) real nice looking race team :)))

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]