Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tin Box Build #3 - Blown Twin-Chevy FED
Topic Started: Jan 16 2015, 10:34 PM (539 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Early 60’s Side by Side Twin Chevy Dragster
(More Pictures Below)

When Round2 re-issued the classic AMT Double Dragster kit in an expanded “tin box” Collectors Edition it included an extra chrome tree for the Dragster variations. It occurred to me that, combined with additional parts, it would be possible to build as many as 4 cars from one “tin box”. This is Tin Box Build No. 3 of the 4 cars I was able to build. It’s the twin Chevy side-by-side digger and follows a ’25 T Altered based on the Competition Parts Pack ’25 T transkit on the Fiat Altered frame, and a variation on the kit Fiat Altered using a custom frame and the kit Body, interior and Chrysler Hemi. I'll post the 4th and final build, a single engined Competition Coupe based on the kit single-engined dragster chassis and a resin ’32 Bantam body, in the nest few days.

This build documents the period of 1959 to 1961 when twin engined dragsters ruled the roost. It’s largely out-of-the-box with the exception of the following changes:

Motors: Top mounted GMC 6-71 blowers and two-port Hilborn injectors from an AMT ’53 Studebaker kit with scratch built manifolds. Resin “mail box” scoops and detailed Hilborn injector pumps from Altered States Models. Blower chain drives from Competition Resins.
Front wheels: mpc Altered front wheels with Modelhaus T-100B tires.
Paint: Body - Tamiya TS-19 Mica Blue with Pactra gold accent tape. Chassis - Tamiya TS-12 Bright Orange.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Some detail shots:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

modelcarman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sweet build!
The Model Car Man Ricky

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) fbr :)))

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks great Bernard, I love the color combo too! :))) :))) :))) I understand the double motored cars like this were the hot ticket when Wally Parks banned fuel for a few years, makes sense, quite creative. :lol:
Thanks for sharing.
I finally got a nice coat of metal flake red and clear on the Fiat half of this and the rest is coming along nicely, thank goodness. You have truly inspired me.
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you, everyone. B) Dave, I'm looking forward to seeing your AMT Drag Racing Team!
Keep on buildin'

« Previous Topic · DRAG · Next Topic »
Add Reply