Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'62 Dragster Trailer; Scratchbuilt, Imrovised, and Proud
Topic Started: Jan 16 2015, 08:39 PM (1,857 Views)
Duffy
Unregistered

We need something to pull our new car around the Southern Fryed Tour with, so we're kloodging a trailer together.

Posted Image

This is inspired by a simple flatbed that Unca Ron Royston did a while back, but Arnie being Arnie, he went and overthought the whole thing. It may be of interest to some to see the Ceramic Soldering Plate in action - it makes the channel & angle stock a breeze to line up, square up, and weld. Best of all, it's cheep.

Now to dig out a couple leaf springs and get an axle. Hey, guys, who can tell me how to rig up trailer brakes?? (- Or do I NEED trailer brakes??)

Duf
Quote Post Goto Top

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) pecce rlr

Duffy
Unregistered

I think this is all - a little pre-paint rollout. Oh, wait, no: I need taillights and a wiring hookup. AND HOW DO I PLUMB THE TRAILER BRAKES?? I haven't found a schematic for it andI got no idea! There's a dedicated master cylinder back here, right?

Or should I even have trailer brakes? Have I overthought once again?

Posted Image

So we got a pair of little pull-off ramps that stow in their own spot 'tween the rails. Tip the front up three feet and the rear touches ground; the way we figure it, the trailer juuust tips forward when a digger's all the way on (we built this to handle up to 130" wheelbase, so it oughta be good into next season at least) and stays put in tail-down position while we roll stuff on and off. That's the plan, anyhow. While we were setting up the photo shoot, our pushman Heckpussy LaFlamme wandered over and gave the towbar a one-hand heft. "It'll be okay," he rumbled.

Posted Image

The trailer hitch coupling and dolly wheel were a happy afternoon's play. Some inventive knife and drill work and we came up with a good jack system, we think, and the unit stows on its own bracket on the front bar.

Now to paint. And wire up the brake lights.
Quote Post Goto Top

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

Duffy
Unregistered

- And, oh yah: Tie-Downs!!

...And a safety chain.

That it, yet?
Quote Post Goto Top

Duffy
Unregistered

Okay, as finished as it's gonna be; now to build the '50 Ford truck to haul all this foofooraw.

Posted Image

Everything you see here is fanciful - I just tried to make sense of stresses & strains & such, and build a structure that addressed what I was seeing. Now, as I finish, I see I over-worried those stresses from the start, and overbuilt, really. Okay, next time.

Posted Image

- Like f'rinstance that six-point web brace: not necessary. But, looka how pretty the Concours d'Elegance mesh metal looks when painted with a red oxide undercoat & then dusted with frame color! I darkened the frame paint significantly, too, it's more brown/black than the frame's blue/green.

Posted Image

All we're seeing here is the taillights nestled inside their guards. Okay, but I liked 'em.

So that's all done!
Quote Post Goto Top

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Beautifully done. Love all the little bits you added. What's the source for the perforated metal surfaces? Looks great and shows off the rest of the details to advantage.
Keep on buildin'

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) That is some beautiful scratchbuild work on that trailer. I don't think you over-engineered it, after all it may haul a stocker in a later life. Being a lightweight single-axle I wouldn't worry too much about trailer brakes.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Duffy
Unregistered

Thanks guys. The tracks are made from an expanded aluminum screen mesh sold by Professor Motor, a slot car house - here's a LINK to it; it goes for like $5 for a 3" square. It cuts with a sharp #11 blade and is pretty soft, so handle gently.
Quote Post Goto Top

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice trailer Duf! I have seen some around here very much like that hauling around small Tractors like a Ford 9n or Farmall. Thanks for the info and link on the expanded material, that stuff will come in handy on lots of stuff! Good job sir!
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
ANY problem race car can be cured with a pound of C 4, Detonator and a 12 volt battery.
Your drivers attitude will improve if you have the correct load in your Mossberg.
"After the last five or six Presidents, I'm Lookin' pretty good!"----
Richard Nixon

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
fbr fbr fbr
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

jpmracing
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
rrr fbr fbr
PIERRE MICHAUD

check out my other builds
http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/jpmracin.../?sort=2&page=1

Bob P.
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Fantastic trailer build. :))) :)))

Bob

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
fbr fbr Looks real...well done
Michel Maheu

Hondo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sweet !!
Well done, Duffy.
Nice engineering on this one. :))) :)))
Jim

Dr Kerry
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very nice work Duffy!!!!!
Kustom Kar Kulture in Scale
My Webpage

Ahh it's great to smell racing fuel in the morning!!!!!

Scaleavenue http://scaleavenue.myfastforum.org/index.php

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · HAULERS, TRAILERS · Next Topic »
Add Reply