Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
scratch building.. Open element oil breathers
Topic Started: Jan 11 2015, 12:06 AM (775 Views)
Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
All stock cars have oil breathers....from the 4 cylinder pony stocks all the way up to the NASCAR ranks. I have used the Detail Master tall open element oil breathers before on several engines...they look great and have great detail, BUT Detail Master no longer carries them. Pro Tech Model Parts carries the open element oil breathers , but I am not to fond of having to send money via the USPS for an order like we did before the internet. I was needing 5 sets of breathers, but the place that I ordered from only had 2 sets left to sell and no indication when they will have more. I have engines to build and I don't want to wait weeks, perhaps months for a supplier to re-stock.

These style of oil breathers,to me, is what separates an ordinary, average engine that would be found in any ordinary , average car on the street from an engine that is a purpose built racing engine. Granted, it is much easier and less time consuming to buy a set of breathers that is, for the most part, ready to attach to a valve cover.

After studying a set of open element oil breathers that I have on one of my engines, I figured that I could build my own and not be at the mercy of a parts supplier who may not have what I need or worse discontinue a part that I have been using for quite some time.

After taking measurements and copying them, here's what I came up with....using simple , readily available pieces.

Posted Image
Hers the material items that you will need....enough for 2 open element oil breathers....from top to bottom: a piece of flat plastic....something thick enough that you can punch a hole thru with a punch. Next is some Aluminum...this piece is cut from a pop can. Next is a piece of Evergreen .080" rod part#212 2.0mm. Next is a dried out ball point pen ink cartridge....the ink cartridge happens to be the perfect, exact round size of the filter element. You can also use any round plastic, such as Evergreen, for this as well.
You will need to punch 4 ea. 4 mm. (dia.) round pieces from the flat plastic. I used a leather punch, you may have something else you use for a punch...just make sure it will punch out a piece 4 mm. across. These will be the top and bottom round pieces of the filter.
Cut 2 pieces of the Evergreen part# 212 .080" rod 4 mm. in length. These will be the tubes that is between the valve cover and the filter elements.
Cut 2 pieces of the dried ink cartridge 3 mm. in length. These will be the filter elements.

Posted Image
Take one of the round punched pieces and glue it to one of the Evergreen rod pieces...make sure it is centered.

Posted Image
Take one of the pieces of the dried ink cartridge and glue it to the round punched piece....make sure it is centered.

ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
CONTINUING........

Posted Image
Take the other round punched piece and glue it to the top of the breather...make sure it is centered.

Posted Image
I threw some paint on this real quick for demonstration purposes only...top is Silver, filter element is White, lower part and tube is Black.. You could lightly rub a pencil lead across a piece of White paper and glue it to the ink cartridge piece for a more detailed breather element.

Posted Image
For the breather shields, cut a strip of Aluminum 3 mm. wide and at least 10mm. in length. Tightly wrap it around the filter element...cut it so that half of the filter/element is exposed and half is shielded.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · TIPS & HOW TO · Next Topic »
Add Reply