Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tin Box Build #2 - Early 60’s Fiat Altered
Topic Started: Jan 10 2015, 01:43 PM (802 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Early 60’s Fiat Altered
(more pictures below)

This is the second build that I got out of the AMT Double Dragster “Tin Box” kit. My goal was to try get 4 builds out of the old tin box, including using both dragster frames for two separate builds. Because I'd already used the Fiat Altered chassis to build the old AMT Parts Pack T Bucket Altered I scratch built a tubular frame in order to build the Fiat Altered.

The basic frame is made from Evergreen tubular styrene. Everything “north” of the frame rails is from the kit. The front axle is a dropped axle from the AMT ’32 Phaeton kit. The hairpins are from the Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit. To my eyes the dropped axle really improves the stance. The rear axle is a cut down Revell ’32 Ford kit piece. The push bar and tie rod are scratch built. Pretty much everything else is from the kit with most of the chrome bits having been stripped and refinished in various shades of Testors Metalizer.

The paint is Duplicolor Crème left unpolished to capture the texture of a rough and ready race car paint job from the early 60’s. The Henderson Bros. and Jack’s Automotive decals are all home made. They represent a fictitious Midwest team from back in the day. The back story is that the Hendersons built and drove the car and Jack’s contributed the blown Chrysler and the sponsorship bucks. The nose decal was made by tracing the shape of the kit grill on to a piece of paper, scanning it into my computer and making the graphics 1:1 from the scan with Photoshop. I was amazed that it actually worked! The Jack’s hemi is finished in Chrysler factory colors of aluminum paint on the block and heads and gold valve covers.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice. fbr
Kevin

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :))) Been fighting with this kit myself. Can't get the chrome to strip off. But, it will be done before the drag series starts.
Kevin

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanx! :)))
Keep on buildin'

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Bernard. My own red metalflake version is soooooo close, but I was pretty sick all day, its touch and go. Your pics sure help though. :)))
My idea for the chute was the same, run out the hole in the trunk, though I might put on the chrome cap and attach a smaller chute pack outside and lower.

Things otherwise have gone together really well, but between my PhD studies and the damper they've put on modeling, we are going to be really close. Might have to wait to next week and put one of my might Mopar Super Stocks in for the first week. Still, sooooo close. I wouldn't probably get my hand lettering done, but otherwise, might make it. All is painted, all there is is assembly and detailing the fuel and electrical systems and chute pack. Ugh.
But what you have posted is true inspitariton!!!!!! .z.
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Dave, or should we be calling you Doc, soon?

I'm wondering if Historic Racing Associates should bring the Henderson Bros. and Jack's Fiat out of mothballs for a run in the SNRA. No 7's for this old warrior, though. We'll be lucky to get in the low 10's...
Keep on buildin'

« Previous Topic · DRAG · Next Topic »
Add Reply