Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
V-12 Dry Lakes Modified
Topic Started: Dec 29 2014, 04:25 PM (1,402 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
V-12 Dry Lakes Modified

Definitely from the Early Years in every way, I guess this goes under "Drag" because it's a straightliner. It's also as close as I'll get to an appreciation of Ron Royston and the work he did, since it's based on his super-fine Lincoln V-12. I think that motor inspired some of my best work to date.

This car was built for the V-12 theme at the 2012 NNL West. It's a vintage dry lakes style Modified roadster. “Modifieds”, as they were called, were the earliest pure straight line racers in the hot rod lineage with the first ones appearing on the dry lakes in Southern California as early as 1926. Patterned after the board track racers of the period, they were made by taking a Model T body and chassis and narrowing them to a width just wide enough to carry the driver and the 4 banger motor. Modifieds ran at the lakes until the early 1950’s, evolving to sleek V-8 powered missiles capable of speeds well in excess of 150 mph.

Here are the details:

Bodywork and paint: AMT ’29 Ford “Ala Kart” roadster pickup body narrowed ¾”. Scratch built gas tank. AMT ’32 Ford grill shell. Duplicolor yellow paint, homemade “Lincoln V-12” logo decals.
Interior: AMT “Ala Kart” interior, narrowed ¾”, re-skinned with pleated styrene. Cut down AMT ’29 Ford dashboard and ’36 Ford steering wheel.
Motor: Hot Rod Flathead V-12 from Early Years Resin. Scratch built headers, exhaust extensions and carburetor stacks.
Chassis: Scratch built from styrene strip with a Revell ’29 Ford RPU rear crossmember.
Suspension & brakes: AMT ’34 Ford front axle and spring and rear axle, AMT ’29 Ford rear spring and rear radius rods. Scratch built steering parts, front radius rods and drive shaft. Resin ’40 Ford brakes.
Wheels & tires: Modelhaus “milk truck” style wheels, Ma’s Resin “Rat Rod” rear tires, Revell ’37 Ford truck front tires.

Thanx for lookin',
B.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
A coupla chassis pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) fbr jsm
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

USMC E5
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Super clean build.
Excellent.
   You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
-- Dean Martin

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) fbr :)))

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That's a classic, excellent job! :))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Lefturns75
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bernard, even though that is a Lakes car I just wonder how it would have done in the CRA with the Track Roadsters? Some of them did run the lakes and then would do the ovals. The stance, the wheels, the tires---Oh yes! Did you scratch the houdaille shocks on the rear or is it some you cut off a chassis and re-worked? The tires are just spot on---I can say no more. Except I love it! wnw
Ordinarily I am insane, but I do have lucid moments where I am merely stupid.
I never TRY to hit another car. But when I do I make sure its a Prius.

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks everyone! One of my favorite projects with pride of place on my shelf, for sure.

Lefturns75,Dec 31 2014
04:48 PM
...Did you scratch the houdaille shocks on the rear or is it some you cut off a chassis and re-worked?...

Lefturns75, the rear shocks are the rears from the Revell '40 Standard kit. They are also re-popped by Replicas and Miniatures Co. of Maryland, and sold along with the fronts from the Revell '29/'30 Ford "Rat Rod" RPU/Sedan kits. With all that mill at the front I suspect this modified would be a bit of a handful in the turns. But the CRA cars did have their roots in the lakes cars of the 30's which themselves were based on the board and dirt track racers of the 20's. As I'm sure we all realize, the specialization of U.S. racing really started to kick in big time in the 60's and 70's and now of course there's very little crossover. Gone are the days of the likes of Danny Ongais, A.J. Foyt and Dan Gurney... being a bit weak on Circle Track I'm sure some of you can remind of other great "generalists" from that discipline besides Foyt.
Keep on buildin'

old coyote
Member Avatar
Grumpy Old Furbutt
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
interesting concept ........... and very nicely built ............ beautiful work B) fbr :)))
I may have to grow old ....... but I refuse to grow up !!!

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I certainly agree with all the above comments about the build, but I would like to congratulate you on the outstanding photography.

Skeeter

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks once more, guys! It's much appreciated.
Keep on buildin'

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That is really top notch, you are a great builder Bernard! fbr :)))
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you Dave. It's the only model I've ever built that got recognized at a model car show. At the NNL West, which is an un-judged event with "only" a People's Choice prize the various volunteers who run it are also allowed to name their favorite. The only reason I built it was because my friend Curt Raitz, a truly great modeler the level of whose work inspires me, challenged me to. One of my all-time favorite hot rod modelers, Steve Hinson, has been helping out at this event for almost as long as its been around. Curt and I displayed our cars on a common salt-flats base. We had both used Early Years V-12's. Below was the result. I was thrilled, not so much because I "won" anything, but because Steve acknowledged it. I was floored...

Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

26speedster
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great Build Fella,Great to see Ron's V12 being used in Builds still Thanks for that.Paul... :)))
"JALOPY HEAVEN"
FLATHEADS & INLINERS FOREVER.

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you Paul. Early Years Resin was one of my most important resources for aftermarket parts. Ron had a real eye for what mattered for my style of building.
Keep on buildin'

« Previous Topic · DRAG · Next Topic »
Add Reply