Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1960 Top Eliminator Dragster - My Slingster No. 1
Topic Started: Dec 29 2014, 03:32 PM (1,592 Views)
Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
1960 Style Top Eliminator Dragster – My Slingster No. 1
(Additional Pictures Below)

This is my entry in a Revell Slingster Challenge over on the Vintage Drag Models, Inc. forum. The Slingster is a kit that rewards anyone who builds it. Just sticking with the kit parts results in a consistently attractive build up that does a commendable job of capturing the flavor of early era Dragsters from the ’58-’61 period. But the kit does have a few flaws and areas where it can definitely be improved. So, rather than limiting myself exclusively to the wide variety of choices in the stock kit I decided to address the areas where I felt I could improve on what Monogram had to offer.

The catalyst for this approach was the front wheels, hand made by a friend and given to me at this year’s NNL West. The real laced wires instantly upped the realism quotient several levels so I set out to complement them with other changes, which turned out to be quite extensive. They’re outlined in the list below. The goal was to create a model which would represent a state-of-the-art Top Eliminator dragster at the time of the 1960 NHRA Nationals. Most of the changes were made to address issues such as period authenticity or detail realism. An example is the exhaust system. For the Hemi, the kit offers two options, a rather odd set of bell mouthed headers and a set of classic upswept “zoomies” of the kind that were first made popular in the mid 60’s. The bell-mouthed set is, well, odd, and the zoomies are far too modern for the period represented by the kit. So I scratch built my own period-correct “weedburner” headers to correct this flaw. The kit is also missing quite a few basic details, so many of the changes were simply additional parts.

Finally, the two-tone paint and decal scheme was chosen to represent the kind of heartland-based drag machine that showed up at the Nationals each year and showed the Left Coast boys that they weren’t necessarily the quickest or fastest in the nation, despite the fact that they dominated the speed equipment business.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Monogram Slingster Dragster with the following additions and changes:
Motor: Kit “Hemi” with Chrysler Firepower valve covers by Early Years Resin, covered in Bare Metal Foil. 3-pulley blower drive and mounting plate from AMT Two Much kit. Hilborn fuel injector pump courtesy of Altered States Models. Injector scoop from Revell Pontiac 421 Parts Pac. “Weedburner” style exhaust headers fabricated from 2 mm. aluminum tubing. Magneto ignition by Morgan Automotive Detail. Oil filter from Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit. Scratch built aluminum fuel tank.
Interior: Throttle and clutch pedals from Revell Tony Nancy Double Dragster kit. Lap belt from AMT ’49 Ford kit. Scratch built parachute pull cord and handle.
Wheels and tires: Scratch built front wire wheels. #57 O-rings front tires by Ace Hardware. Resin Halibrand “kidney bean” 5-slot magnesium rear wheels purchased on eBay, finished in Testors Acryl Jet Exhaust to resemble Dow 7 anti-corrosion coating. Pie-crust rear slicks from AMT Double Dragster kit.
Paint: Bodywork finished in Duplicolor White Primer and Duplicolor Maroon Metallic with homemade decals. Frame painted with Duplicolor Light Grey Primer Sealer. Body and frame paint work sealed with Duplicolor Gloss Clear. Motor block finished in Tamiya Silver to represent Chrysler OEM block color. All engine details finished in various shades of Testors Metalizer paints.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
4 more pics...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Keep on buildin'

Duffy
Unregistered

Yessss!! Great homework & research, great model, and (most appreciated by MEEE) great data sharing. Thanks for this!

Duf
Quote Post Goto Top

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
rrr That is one jaw-dropping gorgeous dragster. Love everything about it. You need to enter that one in the SNRA Southern-Fried Drag Tour.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Another Rick,Dec 29 2014
03:51 PM
... You need to enter that one in the SNRA Southern-Fried Drag Tour.

Thanks guys! I'm still trying to figure out these "fantasy league" racing tours. I guess they're sort of like modeling "contests" but with a racing aspect. How are the "winners" determined? I'm afraid this one wouldn't be very quick, being from 1960 and all... I mean it only pulled ET's in the mid-8's.
Keep on buildin'

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))

The Drag Series is based on a random draw of cars. It is all luck of the draw. What the car looks like has nothing to do with how it places. It is all for fun and is a way to show off members builds that have a common theme.

This build fits very nicely into this years theme if you choose to enter.
Kevin

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Super good. First thing I noticed were the front wheels, and fell in love with them. wnw Are you going to enter the 2015 Southern Fryed Drag Tour?

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

resin-daddy
Member Avatar
Administrator /Old has been!!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Awsome job I love it,photos need to be resized to 640x480 cant see all of them :)))
The Smell,Rubber Burning,Nitro In the Air...Never mide me im just looking for my Meds

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
resin-daddy,Dec 29 2014
07:41 PM
...photos need to be resized to 640x480 cant see all of them ...

Thanks everyone!

I just tried resizing the images using the standard BBCode.org syntax "[img=640x480]{url}[/img]" but it didn't work. My Photobucket images are already 800x600 which I thought was small enough for most monitors. {EDIT: I was just on Photobucket and these pics are actually 1024x760 - my bad - but I still want to figure out how to resize them from this end...} I've noticed some forums resize me to 640x480 so I figure it must be for bandwidth reasons of perhaps smartphones, etc. Anyway, I'll keep slugging away at it. Once I solve it I'll go back and resize my images so far. I'll also share it with everyone. I'd rather not have to go to a smaller image on Photobucket. If anyone has some tips to accomplish this I'd welcome it.

Thanx,
B.

Oh yeah... I did enter the 2015 Southern Fryed Drag Tour, but my images are still too big... :o
Keep on buildin'

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
wnw
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Duffy
Unregistered

What I've done is to have a dedicated folder in Photobucket for Forum pictures (and I only recently realized mine are the wrong size too!) - keep your original, make a copy for the Forum folder, & reduce that one.
Quote Post Goto Top

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))

old coyote
Member Avatar
Grumpy Old Furbutt
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Outstanding build sir ............. it displays your talents very well B) fbr :)))
I may have to grow old ....... but I refuse to grow up !!!

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Again, love the build and the PIC's!

Skeeter

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks again, fellas!
Keep on buildin'

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I just love looking at this build. Thanks for doing it and thanks for putting it in the SNRA! :)))

Yeah, the beauty of both the SNRA series, at least in my mind, is you get to have the fun of putting together a team and car, or cars, sort of like the real thing, just in miniature, and then, once done and entered we do all the work! Your participation, if you want to at all other than reading the reports and looking at the results each week, can just be wherever your imagination and brain takes you: a humorous story from the shop that week or on the haul to the track, a little good natured trash talk, whatever, we all love it! Everyone has an equal chance to win, no matter the car, its all luck of the draw, and Don for the drags or me for the ovals with the late models just have to exercise our brains to make up an exciting story to match the results.
It got a little much for me as I did a late model, modified and drag series all by myself one year, so now while Don does it all with the drags, I have Tony Matthews pull the positions and Mike Pulley (Supergluek5) computes the points each week for the late models. So you can look forward to Sunday and Monday each week to see how you did and how you got there, if you're in the hunt for the title etc. Most everybody is in it at least up to the last 4 or 5 races or so, and there are usually 8 or 10 with a mathematical chance even in the last race.

Welcome aboard!
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Dave,

Thanks!

I think the whole "virtual racing" SNRA thing is so cool! Especially the fact that it's totally luck of the draw. It'll be fascinating reading the race reports to see how you all handle this mash-up of mixed eras and categories, at least in the Drag category - knowing so little about the circle-track world I don't know how things arrange themselves there, although I'm certain I'll learn.

I participate actively in several car modeling forums, some general interest and some specialized more in my styles of building. Some sites are currently struggling with apathy on the part of their owners and members and suffering declining participation. Some of them blame Facebook, but I think Facebook is a poor environment for a more spontaneous interaction among those sharing a common interest. Forums do it better. I just think it's normal for groups of people to run out of energy from time to time. It's good to see Scale Racing Lobby so energized despite the recent set back you all have experienced.

For me it's often the case that "the grass is greener on the other side", by which I mean that the modelers and models I admire the most are often those making car I think it's least likely I'll ever build. For example the Showroom Stock guys blow my mind - the discipline, skill and attention to detail in those things, if they are to have any impact at all, is incredible. Similarly, as someone who enjoys mechanical detail and fabrication, I've always admired the circle track modelers, particularly the modifieds and jalopies. The "race car" thing is so graphically represented in these cars. I love it! Maybe with a little education I might build some... Other than seeing them being towed to the track growing up in downstate New York the closest I've ever come is reading Neal Thompson's "Driving With The Devil" which I enjoyed tremendously.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and I'm looking forward to the fun!
B.
Keep on buildin'

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Broken Photobucket links repaired. For now I'm only updating completed model pics. Updating w.i.p. links is just too huge a task! I'll update them on request...
Keep on buildin'

« Previous Topic · DRAG · Next Topic »
Add Reply