Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
JP Cabana's Buick Regal.
Topic Started: Oct 8 2014, 11:21 AM (4,890 Views)
signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here in Qu´┐Żbec province, Mr Jean Paul Cabana is certainly the most renowned and sucessfull driver/owner. He raced from the seventies to today in the US and Canada eastern scene, now he operates a driving school on Sanair track.

Here is one of his car, an 80's Buick Regal with a 311 inches engine.

I used a Revell 1/24 scale double kit and did many modifications to make the body right. In those days the side were the same as stock bodies as the would use real production ones, so the bottom side had to be reshaped to original contour...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then the B pillar had to be slanted forward and the opera window sheshaped

Posted Image

The A pillar had to be thinned

Posted Image
Michel Maheu
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Then I opened the trunk and went to modifying the frame, first the rear suspension was'nt the same as Nascar's. I made a 4 liks suspension with coil springs and only one shock. The Ford 9 in. from the kit is used.

Posted Image

Here's the completed setup, with a reinforcing bar on the diff.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is a view of the crazy headers they were running in the 80's

Posted Image
Michel Maheu

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Now the body painted...I was on vacation in Daytona in sept. when I started the project,now that I'm back I have a lot to publish.

Comparaison between the bodies

Posted Image

The painted and lettered body. I did my decals and researched the sponsor logos on the web, to make it accurate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Michel Maheu

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) fbr :)))

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr Lot of great fab work Mike.
Kevin

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
....Quite impressed with the 4-link set up on the rear end....nice to see something other than the mid 60's Chevy pick up truck long trailing arms being used....
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you.

Tonight I printed the white lettering on my ALPS but a pic would not show anything. The name is McCreary which I could not find...McCreary is an airplane tires manufacturer. and made some brake caliper fakes and glued em on the wheelbacks, this is going to look better...I also added the air valve and wheel weights.

Posted Image
Michel Maheu

modelcarman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice fab work on everything! :lol:
The Model Car Man Ricky

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

henryc43
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Very nice fab work!!!! jsm

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice Work!

fbr fbr fbr
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Tires and wheels are ready for installatioc.I made the decals myself.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Michel Maheu

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey Signmike, Good to see you and talk to you again.
This is great. I kept many early circle track magazines from the 80's which had detail picture of a lot of this type of Nascar North car, like Dick McCabe, Robbie Crouch, Chuck Bown at the time, and etc. The rear end set up is really spot on. jsm The whole thing really looks the part and just like pictures I saw of the cars at the time. :))) They really just appealed to me, too bad most of what we have available has the regular Winston type bulged fenders, but you worked this out good. If you can get your hands on a stock Revell Monogram Regal Grand National or Monte Carlo it helps.
McCreary racing tires were widely used in the states at the time. The famous Dells Motor Speedway in the Central Wisconsin Racing Assn. had a spec McCreary tire required, they were a hard compound and more economical. Also most West Coast Racers, even well back into the 70's used them by choice.:lol:
Your markings look very nice, but for others,
Shabo Scale Dry Transfers has a McCreary set, I have one. Enough to do about 4 sets of tires. I think they still are making them, they had various Goodyear eagles, white walls, red lines blue lines, Hoosiers which I think they discontinued, BF Goodrich, Firestone, all in racing or muscle car types, M and H racemasters etc. along with kits for making certain state license plates. They are available from Model Empire in Milwaukee yet I believe.
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

jpmracing
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey Mike, great build! :))) :)))
PIERRE MICHAUD

check out my other builds
http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/jpmracin.../?sort=2&page=1

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

hey really just appealed to me, too bad most of what we have available has the regular Winston type bulged fenders,

I resented using a Regal stock body for this built and sanded off a little of the bulge but it's still there...Also this car was built in the transition years between stock bodies built into race car with tubing and the Nascar frame as we know it today with the purpose built floors. But I though it could be acceptable to just use the Nascar platform as the difference is not really noticable. For the suspension, I was a member of a Nascar team in the Canadian Tire Series which is a championship running in Canada only. The suspension I made is close to what we used on these cars.
The McCreary decals were the first made on an ALPS printer I just got working. I'm going to just love makings those...

Thanks for the comments. I am planning to reseach for those Quebec drivers an those who raced around here. Guys like Dave Dion and the such.
Michel Maheu

clutch13
Member Avatar
''THE MODEL CAR OUTLAW''
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
looking good mike :)))
Good Ol' Boys Racing M,C,C,
outlaw hotrods,were reality blows out the headers!!!
Posted Image
MY PICTURE BOOK CHECK OUt MY OTHER BUILDS
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/clutch_13/

bpmowrsports91
[ * ]
Hey SignMike,
I lived in St Albans Vt in the early 70's and saw JPC race at Catamount, Airway and devils Bowl. There were some great US drivers also like Johnnie Rositi, Ron Barcomb, Tommy Tiller and of course Beaver Dragon to name a few. According to Catamount Stadium History JPC was racing at these tracks in the early 60's also in modifieds.

Great looking build and attention to detail.

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey thanks for naming these american racers as I want to reproduce some of their cars too. I grew up going to these races and did'nt not know most of the drivers but now I think it's interesting to see their acheivement...

Here's the finished photos...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Michel Maheu

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Michel Maheu

clutch13
Member Avatar
''THE MODEL CAR OUTLAW''
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
that turned out great. all that hard work payed off fbr
Good Ol' Boys Racing M,C,C,
outlaw hotrods,were reality blows out the headers!!!
Posted Image
MY PICTURE BOOK CHECK OUt MY OTHER BUILDS
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/clutch_13/

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
thank you
Michel Maheu

Hondo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :)))

Great work, Mike !!
Jim

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Mike, that is so realistic, and so right. jsm fbr Others I can add to your list during this time, in addition to JP, Dragon, Dion, Barcomb and all those would be Dick McCabe's Regal, Robbie Crouch GP, Chuck Bown LeMans (Southern Motorsports Hobbies has one) and even Ralph Racin' Nason, a Dodge Dart Kit which is exactly like the AMT Petty Dart, from Maine. If you need photos, I can get them to you.
Dave B.
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes that would be nice of you. I have plans to start a collection of North Eastern race car driver from the past to today. So I'll be gathering as much info as I can and make a special rererence file for it.

Already found this track from the early 50's north of Montreal island

Bouvrette Speedway
http://www.catamountstadium.com/bouvrettespeedway.htm

Michel Maheu

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Mike,
Sorry I took so long to reply. I will start scanning my magazine ones and some that I have collected on the puter and send them your way now that school has slowed down. I'll see if I can get a few right now. The scanned ones will be from old Circle track mag articles. I know I have Chuck Bown's Skoal Bandit, both the Grand Am and 6000 Six Shooter, Robbie Crouches Regal and Grand Prix, Dick McCabe's Regal and I think some Dave Dion Ford's for sure.
Dave B. :lol:
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS ASPHALT · Next Topic »
Add Reply