Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Making an 1/8 scale midget from a 1/4 scale model
Topic Started: Nov 20 2013, 08:04 PM (6,024 Views)
Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have been asked to make an 1/8 scale model of a model midget that's on E-Bay for $12,500. It was built by Bob McCoy years ago. I had an Edmunds body from years ago when I built two and sent one to the Madd Fabricator who used it to make a mold and sent me the first of the product. So this midget is older and it's a Kurtis Kraft witha Ford V8/60 like those 1/24 ones they now sell. I cut the body down, built a frame and a motor and here's where she sits right now.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) :))) rlr
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Astounding! Gees, I think I would pass plumb out to see one of your replicas in real life! Do you have any shots of a couple of your cars together? I can just imagine that would make a heart stopping display! Thanks for sharing your considerable talent with us!

Dave B2 - Bayouman rrr
Laissez les bon temps roulet - "Let the Good Times Roll!"

modelcarman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is awesome! :))) Would to do a model this size one day!
The Model Car Man Ricky

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you all. I'm attempting or actually doing three cars at once. The midget plus RJ Johnson's 2013 USAC championship sprinter and the famous Don Edmunds supermodified. All scratch build and in 1/8 scale. I never wouldhave thought I could pull it off but I am. Here's where each is at today.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Awesome work :))) rlr :)))
Kevin

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) :))) :)))
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Old Sprinter,Dec 16 2013
08:53 AM
"Thank you all. I'm attempting or actually doing three cars at once. The midget plus RJ Johnson's 2013 USAC championship sprinter and the famous Don Edmunds supermodified. All scratch build and in 1/8 scale. I never wouldhave thought I could pull it off but I am. Here's where each is at today."

" Never thought I could pull it off". HAHA, that is laughable!! Ken, you are pulling off the impossible every time you are at the bench, or in the shop!! WOW, these are ALL incredible builds, and the envy of all of us I think! Each is a masterpiece, and I am so glad that you are posting them here. With your step by step instruction, building a 1/24th scale car like yours doesn't seem impossible now!!

Thanks,

Dave B - Bayouman :))) fbr

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you Dave; I have been lucky enough to find something I really enjoy doing and it's tied to racing which is my favorite everything. I must admit that I cannot build the 1/24th scale cars like you guys do. Can't see them or put parts on correctly, much less paint them. What you all pull off is work like a jeweler does.

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey Old Sprinter -

Where Ya at, man? I have been watching for you, and now I am worried about cha!! Let us know how you are doing!

Dave B2 - Bayouman .?.

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bayouman,Jan 22 2014
01:31 PM
Hey Old Sprinter -

Where Ya at, man? I have been watching for you, and now I am worried about cha!! Let us know how you are doing!

Dave B2 - Bayouman .?.

I'm still around building three models; which is not as fun as one at a time. I'll have the sprinter and the midget ready to show some pictures next week. Tires and wheels take over 60 hrs to do a set of 4. They're a very important part of any car model but not a bunch of fun making them. Thanks for asking, man.

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image Put a aluminum belly pan on the supermodified and built most of the motor and injector stacks through the hood. .Got some great looking paint jobs coming up on the midget and this car.

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
More done on the sprinter.Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking good :))) :))) rlr
Kevin

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh WOW!!!!!!!!

Words cannot describe your talent and patience for all this scratch building!!!
jsm jsm jsm will have to do!!!

Love the way the Edmunds build is coming along! The old Monogram 1/24th version back in the late 1960's was my first "real" short track race car, and...
I still have it!!! though back then I was not painting my builds. I think what really sold me on the kit was the racing seat in addition to being a race only kit....

Have a question....who makes the 1:1 sprint car frame that you have so wonderfully depicted?

will be watching these three builds progress.....
:))) :)))
Ed K

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
sentsat71,Jan 26 2014
04:40 PM
Oh WOW!!!!!!!!

Words cannot describe your talent and patience for all this scratch building!!!
jsm jsm jsm will have to do!!!

Love the way the Edmunds build is coming along! The old Monogram 1/24th version back in the late 1960's was my first "real" short track race car, and...
I still have it!!! though back then I was not painting my builds. I think what really sold me on the kit was the racing seat in addition to being a race only kit....

Have a question....who makes the 1:1 sprint car frame that you have so wonderfully depicted?

will be watching these three builds progress.....
:))) :)))

Thank you for the compliment. That sprint car frame is a Sherman. I've done a Twister Chassis, several Maxims, a Beast and a bunch of Triple XXX frames. I get all the manufactor's catalogs so I can see exactly what each one is. I even have the new GF-1 chassis catalog. They're all free and places like Keading Performance has every part that goes into a sprint car shown in their catalog. I draw every car out first so all the figuring is done when I start building one. The Edmunds car I bought plans from Don Edmunds.

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is getting off topic, but do you know what happened to the Gambler sprint chassis company?

I can't even begin to keep up with all the sprint car chassis companies these days, as I don't follow racing like I used to....

Back in the 1970's at Ascot (primarily) could pick out the Edmunds, Maxwell, Stapp, Stanton, just to name a few. However, it was more of a challenge to figured out the older sprint cars when I first started going to Ascot in 1972. Then there was "Andy Gump" Bromme built car that ran from 1962 to 1976/1977 before the new version of the Bromme built car came out. Going through numerous old CRA programs from the 1970's into the mid 1980's, forgot how many cars Bromme sold after the success that Dean Thompson had as the Bromme driver. The programs reminded me that there were more sold than I realized.
Ed K

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
sentsat71,Jan 30 2014
05:03 PM
This is getting off topic, but do you know what happened to the Gambler sprint chassis company?

I can't even begin to keep up with all the sprint car chassis companies these days, as I don't follow racing like I used to....

Back in the 1970's at Ascot (primarily) could pick out the Edmunds, Maxwell, Stapp, Stanton, just to name a few. However, it was more of a challenge to figured out the older sprint cars when I first started going to Ascot in 1972. Then there was "Andy Gump" Bromme built car that ran from 1962 to 1976/1977 before the new version of the Bromme built car came out. Going through numerous old CRA programs from the 1970's into the mid 1980's, forgot how many cars Bromme sold after the success that Dean Thompson had as the Bromme driver. The programs reminded me that there were more sold than I realized.

I'm not sure what happened to Gambler chassis company. They faded out sometime in the 90s. I agree that back in the 70s and even 80s you could tell the difference between a Stanton or an Edmunds; especially at Ascot becuase the CRA doesn't run wings (thank God) I know that Stanton sold out to the Challenger chassis company; Edmunds had already given up after his beautiful independent suspension Offy midget was banned from USAC; he quit building. After Gambler seems like J&J, then Maxim became the frame of choice. I never did understand why Bromme's cars weren't used much by the USAC guys back in Indiana. Dean Thompson made them famous (even more than before); they were fast and cool looking. Today you could line up about 5 or more of those different chasses and not be able to tell one manufactor from the other. I guess that's why they put those ID tags by the radiator mount. Maxim's and Triple XXX are what most guys run and there must be atleast 6 or 8 more companys out there that have frame almost identical. Beast chassis are used a lot on pavement but not much on dirt anymore.

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
If I am remembering correctly, didn't Kenny Rogers pony up the money to start Gambler Chassis back in the day? Maybe ol' Kenny pulled his sponsorship out of the company and then they hit had times during the recession that hit back then? Not sure, just trying to remember. I think Brad Dody was in a Gambler when he got hurt....maybe? Just saying.....

Dave B - Bayouman

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Am sure Kenny Rogers probably helped get Gambler started, as the owner of Gambler was his Manager(?) C.K. Spurlock.
Not sure what chassis Doty was driving when he got hurt....If it was a Gambler, that may have been a reason...
Another reason was that maybe Spurlock retired at some point and may have sold things to someone else..(Just guessing there)

Think there may have been a reason or two why the Bromme built cars did not go beyond CRA...I think they were built in the Bromme home garage and like Edmunds, were built only when an order came in (could be wrong on that). But I think the main reason the other Bromme built cars did not do as well as Deano, was that Bruce Bromme, Jr. was the wrench on the car and the other teams did not have THAT particular experience to set their cars up. If I remember, the one team that did fairly well with the Bromme cars, was the Joe Kasperoff team, with his #391 team and eventually a second team that ran #6 along with the #391.
Even today, in the USACRA and the old SCRA, the #50 car is wrenched by Bruce Bromme, Jr, and that team as several championships between the SCRA and USAC/CRA, with different drivers, the latest being Mike Spencer....though 2013 was not a good year as that team seemed to have more engine problems than usual, so Spencer did not dominate the series this past year....

Have been paging through my collection of the old Open Wheel magazines as well as numerous CRA programs from the 1970's and early 1980's before I cut my appearances at Ascot for personal reasons....though I would make occasional appearances at Ascot, including the final 2 nights at Ascot, the final CRA race and the final USAC Turkey Night Grand Prix.....Both were SRO shows. Know I got there earlier than normal for the last CRA race and could not even get near where I usually sat, ended up down towards turn 1. For the midget show, I made my usual spot in Turn 1 looking down the front straight....
Ed K

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Doty got hurt driving a Stanton house car. Gary Stanton went home, after that, and sold everything he had in his garage. He didn't want anything to do with sprint car racing again. I'm sure that's why he sold out to Challenger with a " no compete" 20 year clause. Gary started developing Mopar racing engines after a while. Kenny Rodgers sponsored a car or two and helped promote and start up Gambler chassis co., but Kinser made them famous too. Spurlock made it a business deal so maybe they stopped making a profit and ended it
You are right about Bromme Jr being te key to success. Also makes sense as to why more Bromme cars were not built. Edmunds had a bunch out there, though, even building them in his garage. He took his supermodified to South Africa and raced there for a few years getting that sport to gain popularity.
A chassis/frame is an important componant of a sprint car as well as the motor; but you win races with a good driver and especially with a guy who knows set ups to make it all work. Stagger, bar sizes, shocks, tire softness all are critical elements to making these things go fast as well as being able to read the track surface. Anymore the chassis comes with a setup sheet that gives you a starting point for different size tracks and surfaces (ie. dry slick, heavy,ect.) They also tell you what to change if you're experencing a push going in, coming out; loose going in, etc. Guys like Bromme Jr know this stuff and can refine it so it fits the driver.

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Old Sprinter....
Why am I not surprised at the information you have!! LOL
Appreciate your input.
Challenger did not last long as a sprint car chassis company, maybe they were not selling enough even though they were winning with Sammy Swindell in one of the chassis.
Don't know when Bromme parked their own chassis in favor of Gambler and Nance in the later years. After Dean Thompson hung up his helmet, Bromme had various drivers in the remaining Ascot years. Even Bubby Jones tried that seat for a while....and Billy Boat was the last driver for a Bromme owned team in 1990 and holds the one lap NON-wing track record at 17.9 seconds. Think every eye was on those two qualifying laps, especially after turning a very low 18 second lap on his timed lap. And since it was the last night for Sprints ever at Ascot, that is one recored that will never be topped.
In going through my old CRA programs, have seen a number of teams back in the early 1980's that ran a Bromme chassis, in addition to the Joe Kasperoff team. Hank Higuchi was an owner who had various drivers in the cockpit, including Jimmy Oskie. Mike Spencer (Sr.) drove for someone who bought a Bromme, Know of at least one other team that campaigned a Bromme, that Duane Feduska drove, a silver/gray #82. Also in one of the programs, there are a series of pictures of Feduska getting the #82 tangled up in the turn one fencing above the wall as he almost left the track. but the fencing cables kept the car from going any further.....
In fact, a year or so after the Bromme's brought out their new chassis, they ended up hauling out their old chassis and campaigned that with a couple of different drivers, Mike Spencer (Sr.) and Brian Campbell. Unless they did so after my attendance at Ascot was curtailed, don't think they ever took the rollcage off and brought it out on Ascot/CRA's Antique Car night....
Have seen pictures somewhere that "Andy Gump" as the old Bromme chassis was called, has been restored with an Offy back under the hood, but can't remember where it resides.
Ed K

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It's fun talking about the good old days of racing. I guess really they're all good. So here's the USAC sprinter almost race ready without the body. Ford powerplant by Roush/Yates
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · SPRINTS & MIDGETS · Next Topic »
Add Reply