Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Limited Late Model
Topic Started: Oct 20 2013, 04:18 PM (1,265 Views)
roadhawg
[ *  *  * ]
Hi everyone. Haven't had much time to build in awhile, but I was finally able to finish a model today!
This is a car that ran in the Limited Late Model class back in the 80s at Athens (GA) and Hartwell Speedways. Phil Peppers was the driver, the car was built by S&R Race Cars, and painted by my cousin. I was in the sign business at the time, so I was the sign painter.
The model is a Jackie Sims (Gator) body on a modified AMT Nascar chassis....not correct, I know, but perfect for a quick shelf model.
This was actually an experiment in decal making.....all the decals, including the tire lettering, was printed on an inkjet printer on CLEAR decal paper. It turned out ok, I guess...not as good as Alps printed decals, but it looks ok from 5 feet away.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Tommy Logan
Canton, GA
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TonyM
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great looking Late Model. :)))
I have wondered what it is like to be normal.

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sharp :))) :))) :)))
Kevin

IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) I think it looks great, nice job with the decals.
Kevin

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Looks real good

Carl

gator
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Turned out GREAT! brvo
Jackie Sims Race Car Models

modelcarman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Phil would love to hop in this puppy and race it! rlr
The Model Car Man Ricky

Dryslick
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Just superb! The car looks great and has exactly the right stance. On your decals, how did you get your white so white on clear paper over black? They look great! - David
"Some assembly required"

roadhawg
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks, Y'all! David....basically what I did was print the decals with a black border around them, then paint the model WHITE. I applied the decals, then used liquid mask to mask the lettering, then sprayed the black. I then peeled off all the masking and clear coated the whole thing. It sounds like a lot of trouble, but really it's not. It COULD be done with white decal paper I supposed, but I've never had much luck with that stuff.
Tommy Logan
Canton, GA

Dryslick
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Tommy- That's kind of genius! I might give that try. WHat kind of liquid mask do you use? It has to mask well but not attach to the decal so much it pulls it off when it is removed. Great tip, thanks! - David
"Some assembly required"

roadhawg
[ *  *  * ]
What I used on this one was Microscale Micro Mask....I got it at Hobbytown USA. When I get a chance I'm going to experiment some more....I'm almost wondering if plain ol' Elmers white glue would work.
Tommy Logan
Canton, GA

Silver Foxx
[ *  *  * ]
Great build , this sits real nice , looks so right.

john54
[ *  *  * ]
Very Nice work an clean looking.. Love to be able to letter that :))) :))) :))) :))) good.

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Super Cool Build, Love the STANCE!!!!!

I think you are selling yourself SHORT on those decals...I think they are Fantastic!!! And what a great method for creating white decals!!!!

In our neck of the woods we call those Semi-Late Models

wnw
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

roadhawg
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks, Y'all!!!
Tommy Logan
Canton, GA

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) :))) :)))
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

Billy Palmer
[ * ]
I LOVE THAT BODY STYLE OF THE 1980's..... I ORDERED ME 2 FROM JACKIE SIMS MYSELF! maddr

« Previous Topic · SHORT TRACKERS DIRT · Next Topic »
Add Reply