Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
62 Vette Road Race - SCCA; Quick build - HA!
Topic Started: Sep 17 2013, 04:45 PM (2,279 Views)
Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, here is the latest from the Bayou State - this will eventually be a 62 'Vette Road Racer, I believe it will fit into the C/P class for the SCCA - I have just discovered that I will havta loose the top, cause it doesn't fit worth a poot on the seat filler behind the seats - it would involve a major fit redeux which was not the purpose of this kit. I have had it forever, and just wanted to build a quick, fun model. Anyways, I will toss the top, opt for the tounneau (sp?) cover for the passenger seat, and the roll bar - both these will be red to match the interior. Using the stock fuel injected 327 small block, lowered the suspension etc for proper stance - more to come, and thanks for lookin....Do you guys think I should use the white wheels, or go for red to match the interior? I have a picture of a SCCA Vette from 62 that does not have painted coves, so probably will leave them white - what say you?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks,

Dave B2 - Bayouman
Laissez les bon temps roulet - "Let the Good Times Roll!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) rlr hotd

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the comments guys - ok, here is where I have gotten with the 'Vette so far....I gotta polish out the hood etc....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for looking.....

Dave

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) rlr
Kevin

TonyM
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Off to a super start Dave. rrr jsm
I have wondered what it is like to be normal.

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) looking Vette. You have done some nice work with this one, looking forward to more updates.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Silver Foxx
[ *  *  * ]
Nice work , looking great.

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) :))) :)))
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for all the comments guys! I really appreciate it. I am workin on replicating tape on the headlights now. Tryin a couple of different techniques, but can't decide which one is best. I have cut some masking tape into thin strips, colored them with a sharpie, also tried electrical tape, just not satisfied yet..
Thanks again,

Dave B2

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) How about pin striping tape

Carl

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Carl, thanks for the tip - the pinstriping that I had was too thick! Gees - so, this is my first feeble attempt at taping - this is ordinary masking tape cut into strips, (kinda even) then colored with a sharpie - what chall think?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Working on the markings now..
Thanks,

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok, I think I found a solution to my taping problem - Sharpie makes some great products!!! Yall let me know what you think, and thanks to Mercman for pointing me in the right direction!!

Posted Image

Thanks for lookin.....

Dave B

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Update - got some markings on the ol Vette - I think she is ALMOST ready to roll!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for lookin, and sorry bout the blurry picture.....

Dave B2 - Bayouman

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B)

LOOKS PERIOD CORRECT....AWESOME!
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks a bunch, Kevin and Frank!! It was a fun build and it looks great sitting with my other racin 'Vettes!

Dave B2

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
In '62, a Corvette was A/Production. then along came the Cobra... And even though they had a rather smaller engine (260 at 1st, then 289 vs the Corvette's 283 through 1961, then starting with the 62 model, 327), the Cobras quickly showed their taillights to the Corvettes. So after a bit, Corvettes got dropped to B/Prod. Then in '65 big block Corvettes and Cobras were introduced, kicking the small block Cobras to B/Prod with the new GT350 Mustangs which would run with a Cobra and ahead of Corvettes. Poor guys with Corvettes just didn't have much of a chance. The Gen 1 Vettes pretty quickly faded away into back yards and racing oblivion. Steel wheels were pretty common on C1 Vettes. While AMT's rendition of the grille has a very heavy flat trim around it, the body is actually pretty fair. For a detailed build, the chassis is better replaced with one from an "MPC" or Revell C1.The headlights on this seem to be missing their trim rings. For the headlight tape, it used to be good to use ChartPak draftsman's tape. But with CAD having taken over the draftsman's world, I don't know if it's still available. For those who don't get the headlight tape deal, This car represents one which was raced in a production class where the rules very strictly limited what could be modified on the car. And many road race cars in 1962 were driven to the race track and hopefully back home after. That was how James Dean died in his Porsche race car on a California highway. If headlight bulbs were still installed in the car for the race, there was concern about broken glass on the track from crashes cutting tires on other cars. So the headlight had to have tape across it to keep broken glass from falling out on the track. Note that the bumpers could have been removed from this racer, but duplicating the body gaps would be difficult in a quick build model. Those Corvettes which were race-only got their bumpers removed, but many did not. Either way is period correct. Exhaust pipes were typically 2-1/2" in those days, so the exhausts on this model are right. Although to many younger observers, they look strangely skinny and out of scale.

Bottom line...
I like it!

Note that I had to put quotes around one brand name I suggest for a more accurate chassis. That name is the same as the code for the smiley (frowny?) which beats its computer with a club.
Richard

If you don't crash once in a while, how do you know you're going as fast as you can?

modelcarman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very sharp build Dave! Love everything about it!
The Model Car Man Ricky

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks so much, Richard and Ricky! Wow, great information there Richard. Yep, the headlights are looking small on the AMT model, and thanks for the information about the classes. I scoured the web and my book collection for some pictures to base the build on, so I am glad that it came out so period correct!

On the next note, I am just getting stuff together for a 59 'Vette - gonna try to duplicate an SCCA race car again. This is the Monogram 1/25th scale Vette, so it has a separate chassis, opening trunk etc. (looks pretty good!) Richard, would the 59 also run under A/P and would the class be for the fuel injected option? How about the two four barrel version of the 283? Were they also run under A/P, or was it a different class? Thanks for any help you can provide - want to try to get this one period correct as well......

Thanks,

Dave B2 -

oldcars
[ *  *  * ]
Hi again. I'm the other richard. All I can remember is that they ran in A/P and B/P. ;bb; They ran the larger, more horsepowered engine in A/P and the smaller displacement engines in B/P, I'm not sure if fuelie or carbs had anything to do with which class they ran. Sorry I can't be of more help on this one. PGUP Richard

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks "The Other Richard" on the info! The 59 is coming along, and I just started a 64 Grand Sport, So I am having fun! Oh, plus, I have a 427 Cobra S/C sittin on the bench for the next project........nice diversion from my favorite dirt cars..!

Dave B2 - Bayouman

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Just so you guys don't think I'm spouting this info off the top of my head or out the other end...
My parents met at a sports car road race. Dad had previously been driver of midgets and track roadsters before he got into sports cars. So I grew up around car racing. Mostly sports cars, but the 1st race car I remember sitting in was dad's close friend Tom Beatty's Belly Tank dry lakes racer. The 1st race car I worked on was in 1960 and was a matching pair of new Lotus 11s.

In 1962, a friend of my parents set aside his Austin Healy race car and bought a new 1962 Vette to race. It was painted metallic blue with number 8 on it, same as the Healy had been. It was soon rendered a mid-pack to back marker with the new Stingrays and Cobras on the track. Danny had put too much into the still nearly new car and a new GMC rampbed transporter with living quarters to match to afford to replace it with an even newer Stingray or Cobra. So, like the Healy before it, the Vette got parked. Such a shame, as it was a pretty Vette and left me always fond of late C1s.
Richard

If you don't crash once in a while, how do you know you're going as fast as you can?

fireguy14
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice job on the 'Vette!
Dave Sullivan
my album
There is no replacement for displacement!!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · SPORTS CARS · Next Topic »
Add Reply