Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Paint and chrome removal; Great product for paint stripping , etc.
Topic Started: Aug 4 2013, 12:34 PM (675 Views)
oldfogey
[ *  *  * ]
I thought everyone knew about this, but the more I wander, it seems it's not as "common knowledge" as I thought.............

"Super Clean" (available at most Auto Parts stores -- "People Eater" purple jug), makes an EXCELLENT paint stripper and chrome plating remover.

You can leave plastic bodies in this stuff for days with no ill effects, and it will strip most paints with little fuss & muss. Most bodies require 24+ hours for full strip. It will remove chrome in about "two shakes". :)
I AM NOT familiar with how it works on resin parts, so EXPERIMENT FIRST!!

IT WILL strip the oils from your skin, so latex gloves are ** recommended **..........it is a de-greaser for greasy car parts.
Wash your parts after soaking for 24+ hours with mild dish soap and a toothbrush, and you be amazed! I think it a MUCH better and cleaner method than the old stand-by of brake fluid.

** As far as I know **, it is non-toxic, but as with any unfamiliar product, READ INSTRUCTIONS AND CAUTIONS, and experiment for yourself.

One of the "pluses" of this stuff for me is that it can be strained through a coffee filter and re-used several times.

When you want to dispose of it, throw it down your drain..........it de-greases them to a point as well.("win-win")
SHAME ON!!........the "VETERAN'S ADMINISTRATION"
for their "Delay, Deny, and Wait 'til I die" policies.......

NOT concerned with taking care of disabled veterans as they SHOULD be!!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have used it a few times. Had one car it did not work on though.
Kevin

oldfogey
[ *  *  * ]
krwasson,Aug 4 2013
05:28 PM
I have used it a few times. Had one car it did not work on though.

" Your mileage may vary..........." I've used it on many model railroad locomotive shells and a bunch of model parts and never had any issue (??)
Like I said in original post though.......I have NO experience with it's use on resin parts. "EXPERIMENT" is the watch-word here.

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The one it did not work on had automotive paint over the plastic. Sat for three months in the bath and still nothing :unsure:
Kevin

oldfogey
[ *  *  * ]
Heard that there was a brand of paint in the Model RR community it wouldn't work on either, but never had that happen.

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I AM NOT familiar with how it works on resin parts, so EXPERIMENT FIRST!!
It doesn't have any effect on resin, at least on the pieces I have used it on. I don't think I would leave a piece in there over a day to see though. It will destroy aluminum. When I first started using this stuff I put an "adult beverage" can in it trying to remove the outside coating so I would have some clean aluminum. badd After a couple of days I had one highly corroded can with the outside coating still on it. Of course if you read the label it says not to be used on metal. sepu
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

USMC E5
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have, like others, used Purple Power and Castrol Super Clean and Clorox Bleach with great results.
We just got in a few 5 gallon buckets of something called B52. It is a cleaner and degreaser as well. It is tan or brown in color. We used some in some spray bottles full strength and thru the pressure washer with a soap tip. It worked really well (better than Purple Power) on grease and oil.
So I am gonna bottle some up and take it home tonight to try on a large oil pan and transmission I need de-chromed for my drag car.
Will post results in a day or so.
   You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
-- Dean Martin

Undertaker2480
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Quick question on this topic: does Purple Power work as well, or does it damage plastic? I use it to clean brake dust off of our cars at home, so I actually already have a gallon or so of it. Didn't know if it affected plastic parts.
Eat. Sleep. Do creepy mortician stuff.

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Purple Power works great to remove chrome, but it will usually not remove the varnish (?) under the chrome. I have left bodies in Purple Power for up to a week and it does not have any effect on the plastic. However, I have noticed it will make certain types of body putty a bit porous and easily flakes off. As a matter of fact I need to get to the basement and take a body out that has been soaking since Friday evening. shoo
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
....Easy off oven cleaner in the Yellow can, house hold Ammonia, Liquid Drain-O ,brake fluid, Castrol Super Clean.....your choice...don't mix any of these together.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

...Easy off oven cleaner in the Yellow can, house hold Ammonia, Liquid Drain-O ,brake fluid, Castrol Super Clean.....your choice...don't mix any of these together.

There is another one called Simple Green that works quite well. One word of caution, many of these are rather caustic and will remove the skin from wherever it touches, make sure to use a good, nonleaking set of rubber gloves when using it. Another caution do not use brake fluid on a resin piece - it will melt, deform, and generally ruin it.

With that being said, now go have some fun. jump

« Previous Topic · TIPS & HOW TO · Next Topic »
Add Reply