Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mel Kenyon Kurtis Kraft
Topic Started: Feb 28 2013, 04:19 PM (1,597 Views)
71 Charger 500
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I've got a pretty good start on my Mel Kenyon Kurtis Kraft Midget.
Posted Image
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." Aaron Tippin

Buy AMERICAN, the job you save could be your own!

That Ricer that you just bought - sold- assembled...just cost my wife her job at GM.........Thanks.

Man, that Ricer of yours is fast, you were really movin' when I passed you in my Dodge!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bob P.
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Looks great so far, Keep us posted.

I have one of these midgets, but I donít know if I can handle all those small parts.
Bob

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) :))) :)))
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

26speedster
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Lookin' Good.............
"JALOPY HEAVEN"
FLATHEADS & INLINERS FOREVER.

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm a big fan of midget racing from that era. Nice work, can't wait to see more.

71 Charger 500
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bob P.,Feb 28 2013
05:04 PM
Looks great so far, Keep us posted.

I have one of these midgets, but I donít know if I can handle all those small parts.
Bob

I have pretty big hands myself, Bob and I haven't had too much problem with the small parts. Just take your time when you cut them loose from the runners though.

That Ricer that you just bought - sold- assembled...just cost my wife her job at GM.........Thanks.

Man, that Ricer of yours is fast, you were really movin' when I passed you in my Dodge!

71 Charger 500
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Old Sprinter,Mar 1 2013
07:01 AM
I'm a big fan of midget racing from that era. Nice work, can't wait to see more.

This is a pretty good kit really. The only trouble spots I've seen are the mounting of the dash panel and the front axle mounting, neither are really set up real well for an actual position but if you take your time and make sure the axle is mounted straight up and down vertically it works out really well.

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great job on Mel's car!! Those Revell kits are fantastic! I agree with the dash and axle locations, but, like you said, take your time and double check the fit, and they will turn out fine. Need to pickem up when you can though, cause I understand that Revell has stopped producing them for now......

Dave B2 - Bayouman
Laissez les bon temps roulet - "Let the Good Times Roll!"

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Mo, I've been waiting for you to do this for a long time! :))) Keep us posted! rlr
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Having made a living at times restoring vintage Kurtis midgets, one of the 1st things I noticed about these Revell kits is that the dash is positioned wrong.

The dash is a piece of 16 gauge (1/16" thick) aluminum sheet attached to the face of a hoop made of 3/4 or 1" tube. The dash should be at the same angle as the back edge of the hood. The hood fits to that tube the dash is mounted on. The back edge of the hood has a lip about 3/4" that laps over the edge of the dash and the tube. The kit seems to set the dash nearly vertical.

Posted Image

Richard

If you don't crash once in a while, how do you know you're going as fast as you can?

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) rlr rlr

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Richard..

Can the Revell kit dash be correctly installed?
Or will take some work to get it right?

Bought one of each when these kits came out.
Then several months ago, inherited 3 more from
a model car club member...
along with the "newest" issue of the R/M sprint

Ed
Ed K

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
71 Charger 500

That is a great looking build so far.....!

jsm fbr B) fbr

Patiently waiting to see updates....

Have tried to follow Mel's career ever since I became a huge race fan circa 1968...in part helped by the Des Moines Register newspaper always keeping track of him in their sports pages....though they always mentioned that he was originally from Iowa.....as well as through SCR when the covered the Indy 500, as well as listening to the race for many years on radio....

And of course, got to see him run numerious Turkey Night Grand Prix, most at Ascot, except for one that was run at Speedway 605, which Mel won!

But, was always too shy to approach him or other drivers over the years, until I stopped by his pit after the 2000 Turkey Night Grand Prix at Irwindale Speedway. Still didn't talk too much, but did by the (then) latest issue of his book, which he happily autographed for me.

Just never knew what to say to the drivers, as I was not an autograph "hound". Kind of regret that today... lol

One of Mel's builds, from the 1970's through whenever, would make a good companion kit for Revell to bring out....Wasn't Mel one of the first to go with the VW engine?
It would be nice to have a newer midget kit to go with the KK release....Would be a great way to show how the midgets progressed from the era of the KK kit and one of Mel's builds....

Well.....there I go dreaming again!!!

Ed
Ed K

fireguy14
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very nice start!
Dave Sullivan
my album
There is no replacement for displacement!!

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

Richard..

Can the Revell kit dash be correctly installed?
Or will take some work to get it right?

Looking at it right now, the firewall may (probably) need to be added onto at the rear edges to support the dash. The firewall 'box' is too shallow front to back. The dash support tube should fit just under the edge of the hood and fit at the angle of the edge of the hood. Although it appears to be a rather steep angle still. Viewed from the side, there should be one line only from the top of the dash down to the top edge of the cockpit side. The dash should be at that line. Note here that the side panel of the cockpit should be up under the padding even with the level of the cockpit side just ahead of the padding notch. Revell has notched the side panels to accommodate the upholstery.
Check this photo for the shape of the cockpit without upholstery.

Posted Image

Some may notice that this V8-60 car looks like it has an Offy nose. The grille opening is actually larger than an Offy nose, but smaller than the kit V8-60 nose. If the kit V8-60 grille were made into an oval by making the sides of the grille straight at about the 1st bar inboard , it would be pretty close to the genuine Kurtis cast aluminum grille on this car. The kit Offy grille should be more symmetrical top and bottom, but with a more pronounced bulge to the center bars about 1/3 from the bottom. The kit grille is too flat on the bottom and too much of an even radius from the side.

This photo with the wheels and seat off shows the front of the fuel tank. It's aluminum. In this car painted red.
Posted Image
Visible inside the rear hairpin radius rod is a red line. This is a torsion bar for the rear suspension. This car is a 2-bar chassis. Transverse leaf spring front and parallel torsions on the rear. The forward end of the torsions anchor in adjustable mounts near the radius rod mount. There is a rear torsion bar mount right where the frame rail kicks up. The mount has a bronze bushing to let the bar rotate. There is an arm which fastens on the end of the bar and extends out to the top of the hub, where the arm fastens to the hub. That arm is visible through the radius rod also. The outer end of the arm connects to the hub next to the lower clevis end for the radius rod.

Another issue is the rear shock mount. This should not be a cross member. Just a single tab on the outer side of each frame rail.

A lot of Kurtis Midgets did not have headrest upholstery extending so far back on the bodywork. Many of them the upholstery back edge is even with the back edge of the seat. Those cars generally had a round hole opening for access to the fuel tank cap There should be snaps on the upholstery all around the cockpit to hold it in place.

Quote:

And of course, got to see him run numerious Turkey Night Grand Prix, most at Ascot, except for one that was run at Speedway 605, which Mel won!

But, was always too shy to approach him or other drivers over the years, until I stopped by his pit after the 2000 Turkey Night Grand Prix at Irwindale Speedway. Still didn't talk too much, but did by the (then) latest issue of his book, which he happily autographed for me.

Just never knew what to say to the drivers, as I was not an autograph "hound". Kind of regret that today... lol

One of Mel's builds, from the 1970's through whenever, would make a good companion kit for Revell to bring out....Wasn't Mel one of the first to go with the VW engine?
It would be nice to have a newer midget kit to go with the KK release....Would be a great way to show how the midgets progressed from the era of the KK kit and one of Mel's builds....

I was never an autograph guy either. I could have had a great many since I was always around famous racers. I attended a Turkey nite or 3 myself. We may even have been at Ascot or other tracks at the same time. And as a lifelong VW guy, I would love to see a kit of a VW Midget.
Richard

If you don't crash once in a while, how do you know you're going as fast as you can?

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
This is another Kurtis Midget I worked on restoring. This one an Offy.
Posted Image
This is the famous "99jr." car owned by Eddie Meyer of Meyer-Goosen-Drake, makers of Offy engines. It was one of the most successful of all Kurtis Midgets. This car wound up in the Petersen Museum for a long time. Note the grille shape I was referring to in the last post.

Posted Image
Note the extra bars in the engine compartment. These go from the dash hoop to the radiator support hoop. There are matching diagonal bars hidden by the hood sides. The dash hoop is visible here, and the bars on the front corners of the foot box, that support the upper part of the dash hoop.

The various hoses should really have been rubber covered hose, not stainless braid. And disregard the fancy anodized aluminum plug wire separators. They belong on a 90s ProStreet, not a 40s midget. The originals were round rubber blocks with holes for the plug wires and a thin coil spring wrapped around the outside. The cast iron block that's visible is painted krinkle black. The cam boxes and covers are polished aluminum. The aluminum side covers are as cast between the ribs, and polished edges and rib edges. The Winfield carbs are smooth, but not polished or chrome plated, except the intake horns, which are polished. The linkage is chrome The front bumper has an "M".
Richard

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :)))
Kevin

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks, Richard (Mojave Racer)....

Might be a while before I really get into building a kit.....
good chance I'm moving in the next 6-8 weeks...
Ed K

Hondo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking good so far. Great info here. :))) :)))
Jim

« Previous Topic · SPRINTS & MIDGETS · Next Topic »
Add Reply