Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
swindell sprint car
Topic Started: Jan 14 2013, 04:26 PM (900 Views)
jarheadndn
[ *  *  * ]
just finished this. first car ive finished in years. also first attempt to weather/mud one in. since you guys are good at these builds and weathering, what do yall thank?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

more pics here: http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l159/jar...;cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

thanks for looking! comments good bad or ugly are wanted :)))
jarheadndn nick
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tomcd62
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
very cool build! i like the chipped paint . the mud may be a little heavy handed and uneven. you could soften the edge where the mud meets the rubber of the tires. try a mud colored wash in the areas that didn't get the spatter to give a dusty look. this hard for me to say since I am very heavy handed myself i often put some mud on then wipe it off then repeat the process until I like it. hope this helps, tom

modelcarman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very cool!!! I love the decal work on the wing also, the mud work looks like good dirty clean fun to me! rlr
The Model Car Man Ricky

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) :))) :))) LOOKS LIKE IT WAS A WET TRACK NIGHT!
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

jarheadndn
[ *  *  * ]
thanks for the comments, im thanking of entering it in the box stock class at the cookeville show coming up in march.

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey Nick - Slammin' Sammy would be proud! Great job. Just a pointer for ya here - take some of that mud and feather it onto the nerf bars and chassis on each side, and then a light smatterin on the front lower part of the hood. Usually, the front part of the headers gets a fair amount of mud/dirt on them during a race too. One technique that I use: Take a fairly stiff brush (usually one with white or tan bristles) dip it in your paint, then dab it on a paper towel till most of the paint is gone, then dob the brush onto the areas where you want some weathering - kinda like dry brushing - you can do this with your mud on the tires/wheels, nerf bars, headers etc. The effect is great, and it is super easy....here is my weldin/push truck after a night pushin off sprint cars at the track - it was heavy and slick before they packed the track in!! I used the "dry brush" technique here:
Posted Image
Hope this helps, and keep experimentin, you are there with some fine tuning! Remember, if part of that car is getting all muddy/dusty, the rest probably is too. Especially, the parts that stick out - nerf bars, headers, suspension etc! Keep up the good work, and good luck in the show! Let us know how you do!

Dave B2 - Bayouman
Laissez les bon temps roulet - "Let the Good Times Roll!"

« Previous Topic · SPRINTS & MIDGETS · Next Topic »
Add Reply