Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
South African Sprint Car; 1/8 scale scratch build
Topic Started: Dec 20 2012, 07:20 AM (2,759 Views)
Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm build ing a model of the former South African Sprint Car champ, Johan Roos's car. He has pasted away and it's for his best friend, there. It will be a 410 winged pavement sprinter with an 06 Maxim chassis.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) :))) pecce
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

71 Charger 500
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like a pretty cool race car.
:)))
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." Aaron Tippin

Buy AMERICAN, the job you save could be your own!

That Ricer that you just bought - sold- assembled...just cost my wife her job at GM.........Thanks.

Man, that Ricer of yours is fast, you were really movin' when I passed you in my Dodge!

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Work in progressPosted Image

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Always wondered what happened to the racing scene in South Africa, as I have not kept up with weekly racing papers since the early 1970's or other publications that have gone by the wayside....

Somewhere, if I haven't lost it, I have (had) a copy of SCR from the late 1960's that had an article on racing in South Africa when a few drivers from the states went down there to race during the off season in the states. And the cars they would take, would be sold to the local drivers. Remember one of the cars in the article was a Don Edmunds super modified. The article also talked about the then hot driver of the time, Harry Van der Spuij(sp).
Not sure who helped him come to the states in 1972 where he ran with the California Racing Association. Unfortunately he was not in a top line car of the time, so he did not fare too well at Ascot. Not sure if he ran any other tracks, that CRA ran that year.
One of the last drivers from Southern California to race in South Africa was the late Mike Shaw, in the early to mid 1970's. This was about the time that traveling to Australia to race became the "in thing" to do....and still is.....

That is one great looking build you have going. And from the pic of the real car, they still burn the rubber off in the turns.
Ed K

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
sentsat71,Dec 31 2012
06:57 PM
Always wondered what happened to the racing scene in South Africa, as I have not kept up with weekly racing papers since the early 1970's or other publications that have gone by the wayside....

Somewhere, if I haven't lost it, I have (had) a copy of SCR from the late 1960's that had an article on racing in South Africa when a few drivers from the states went down there to race during the off season in the states. And the cars they would take, would be sold to the local drivers. Remember one of the cars in the article was a Don Edmunds super modified. The article also talked about the then hot driver of the time, Harry Van der Spuij(sp).
Not sure who helped him come to the states in 1972 where he ran with the California Racing Association. Unfortunately he was not in a top line car of the time, so he did not fare too well at Ascot. Not sure if he ran any other tracks, that CRA ran that year.
One of the last drivers from Southern California to race in South Africa was the late Mike Shaw, in the early to mid 1970's. This was about the time that traveling to Australia to race became the "in thing" to do....and still is.....

That is one great looking build you have going. And from the pic of the real car, they still burn the rubber off in the turns.

I remember Don Edmunds going there with his supermodified for a couple of years. I also remember when a lot of guys would go to Australia in the winter and sell their cars to the locals because of the high tariffs in that country at the time. Not that way now but they all go there. This guy sent me some video of them hot lapping and they all were smoking off the right rear. Their tire bill must be enormous. They run Hoosiers in the front and Goodyears in the rear with all the lettering in gold like Firestone used to be. I have never seen that before. They also run 1/4 mile tracks with 410s so not much stomp and steer. Man I loved Ascot and wish it was still around. Those were some of the best sprint car races ever.

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's something, even I, haven't seen before.Posted Image

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well the guy in south Africa tried to bone me; wanted my bank info so he could send me money. So I am now converting this over to a dirt sprinter for a guy in California. Here's some of the conversion going on. New body, tires and wheels, etc.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
More progress; almost done.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's how this one turned out.Posted ImagePosted Image

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageFinished

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Old Sprinter, you know I am a HUGE fan! This car is further proof that you are a true MASTER MODELER! Beautiful and outstanding as always! :))) :))) :))) fbr fbr
Laissez les bon temps roulet - "Let the Good Times Roll!"

Old Sprinter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Bayouman,Jan 24 2014
10:28 PM
Old Sprinter, you know I am a HUGE fan! This car is further proof that you are a true MASTER MODELER! Beautiful and outstanding as always! :))) :))) :))) fbr fbr

Thank you, Sir.

sentsat71
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hmmmm...
Bud Kaeding, right? cannot make out the name on the car, but IIRC he runs the #29...

Once again, your modeling talents take second to none! Especially in this scale!
This is just awesome!!
Ed K

« Previous Topic · SPRINTS & MIDGETS · Next Topic »
Add Reply