Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Offroad VWs
Topic Started: Dec 16 2012, 05:16 PM (1,060 Views)
MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
>Bayouman

Hey Kevin -
Love the S-10, great job!! We need to see more of these off-roaders here for sure!

Mojaveracer - great commentary of the off road scene! How 'bout a few pictures of those V-bugs? Need to build one of those......!

Thanks,
Dave B2 - Bayouman

OK Bayouman, here's some of what you asked for:
This one is my '58 Baja Bug. I met (and remember) this car the day it was bought new in 1957 by my dad's friend, it was my 1st car to drive, I converted it to a Baja, And it now has over 800,000 miles on the odometer. This pic is me at the wheel in the southern Sierras.
Posted Image

This is an old favorite Baja racer:
Posted Image

My 1st Baja at the summit of Sherman Jeep Trail at nearly 10,000ft. in the Sierras proving that Baja Bugs can do some serious rock crawling:
Posted Image

That same Baja from the black and white above some 30 years later near my home in the Mojave Desert:
Posted Image

A Manx-type fiberglass buggy I built a rollcage for:
Posted Image

My own offroad race buggy (yellow/blue) passing another buggy (orange):
Posted Image
We won the Championship then.

A 5-1600 limited class Baja Bug I've raced in; the AGS Racing yellow Baja:
Posted Image

At the time of this photo it was being raced in the 5-Unlimited race class against radical tube framed unlimited engine size(as long as it's a VW) cars. For those who are familiar with offroad racing, the number indicates that it is a 5 unlimited entry. But it was entirely legal for the limited class. That's sort of like racing a street stock in the late-model modified class. It won the Championship against the unlimited cars.

More pics later.
Richard

If you don't crash once in a while, how do you know you're going as fast as you can?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Richard -

Thise are some great photos, and thanks for postin them!! Where are those photo's from? I was raised in Southern New Mexico in Las Cruces, and some of those desert shots look really familar! Haha, I know its a BIG desert! Anyway, now I have inspiration for my next bug...!

Thanks for postin...

Dave B2 - Bayouman
Laissez les bon temps roulet - "Let the Good Times Roll!"

wisdonm
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great pixs. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your many successes.

Your story about seeing the VW when it was brought home reminded me of a similar story. My best friend's daughter had just turned 16. We bought a '67 VW 1600 Fastback just for the engine. When he got it home he told his daughter it was for her. By the next morning, it didn't have an engine in it. The engine was torn down and later installed in a one of 13 '63 Elva Porsche. He couldn't afford to rebuild the original Porsche Four-Cam engine.

Has a checkered past.

Stand on it....brakes only slow yoou down.

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
MojaveRacer208,Dec 16 2012
02:16 PM

Quote:

This pic is me at the wheel in the southern Sierras.
Posted Image

Kelso Canyon South of Lake Isabella

Quote:

This is an old favorite Baja racer:
Posted Image

Baja California

Quote:

My 1st Baja at the summit of Sherman Jeep Trail at nearly 10,000ft. in the Sierras proving that Baja Bugs can do some serious rock crawling:
Posted Image

Sherman Peak, between the north and south forks of the Kern River.

Quote:

That same Baja from the black and white above some 30 years later near my home in the Mojave Desert:
Posted Image

I live in Lake LA, In the Mojave Desert north of LA and just west of El Mirage Dry Lake, just south of Edwards Air Force Base. The area is used for many movies and commercials and music videos, etc. Although you can't tell it, There is a permanent movie set in the background. "Supercross", Tarentino's "Hellride", Britney Spears Music Videos, Country music videos, bank commercials, Jeep ads...Most desert scenes in TV and Movies are shot right in this neighborhood.

Quote:

My own offroad race buggy (yellow/blue) passing another buggy (orange):
Posted Image

Near California City (north of Edwards AFB)

Quote:

A 5-1600 limited class Baja Bug I've raced in; the AGS Racing yellow Baja:
Posted Image

This was near Ridgecrest.

All of these desert and mountain scenes except for the one in Baja California were shot in southern California. The desert in New Mexico and even some of Texas looks a great deal like the California desert. Even many of the plants are the same, such as the creosote bushes. Although you guys don't get Joshua trees. The desert is continuous nearly from the Pacific Coast to the far side of the Llano Estacado of Texas.
Richard

If you don't crash once in a while, how do you know you're going as fast as you can?

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
If any of you guys are interested, I could post detail shots of offroad cars and provide knowledge of how they are built. Like a Baja Bug:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Richard

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Or a Toyota prerunner truck:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Upskirt!!!
Posted Image

Richard

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
And VW 1600 Race buggies
Posted Image

Posted Image

These cars here are my favorite offroad racers. They are based on VW Bug components. 1600cc engines with any flat tappet cam, and unlimited compression ratio, but stock valves, heads, rods, crank, intake manifold and carb. They make about 80hp on 110-114 octane race gas. The suspension is based on VW Bug pieces too. Stock width, stock length rear arms (+1"). Until recently, they were required to use VW drum brakes, but the Chinese or Brazilian made replacement drums available lately are not as good quality as original, so they're now allowed to convert to disc brakes. They get up to 10" wheel travel in front and some claim 17" in the rear. They are quick and lightweight and on occasion, beat the big 800hp V8, 30" wheel travel, 1/4 million $$ unlimited cars for an overall win.

Richard

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Building an off-road VW has been a dream of mine for many years, just never had the time, place, or $$. I have that very book which I bought in the early 70's. Of course now, I am a bit "long in the tooth" to be beating around in the desert, but I would still like to build one just for fun.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

resin-daddy
Member Avatar
Administrator /Old has been!!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :)))
The Smell,Rubber Burning,Nitro In the Air...Never mide me im just looking for my Meds

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · OFF ROAD & 4X4 · Next Topic »
Add Reply