Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
dirt track dio; clay oval slice
Topic Started: Nov 8 2012, 11:21 PM (1,653 Views)
tomcd62
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Here's my lasest model a clay track dio with a 1967 Mercury Cyclone and a 1964 Dodge hitting the gas as they drift out of the corner, I am going to enter in a model contest this saturdayPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

biged27
[ *  *  * ]
ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!!!! It looks like the cars are under power, and the chassis are flexed from all that power as the gun it out of the corner!!!!!! fant wnw wnw wnw

Dutchman
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Way cool !! Very realistic !! Looks rough and tumble old skool dirt racing. Very

well done !!! fbr Denny
Powered by ford

modelcarman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is bad to the bone awesome!!! That's true old school at it's best!!! rlr
The Model Car Man Ricky
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

biged27
[ *  *  * ]
Forgot to ask....We need some details on how you achieved this look. AMAZING WORK!!!!

tomcd62
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks guys. Hey big Ed27 thanks for asking for the details. I see that you are building a track scene as well. The track is built from layers of that pink foam insulation. after cutting and glueing I then melted groves into the pink foam with a soldering iron to simulate the track surface, ruining the soldering iron and stinking up my basement at the same time. then I got a few handfuls of dirt from the infield of the local little league diamond and ran it threw a screen so the dirt was basically a fine powder. the powder was then mixed with a watered down elmer's glue,50/50, forming a thick paste which was then rubbed onto the grooved foam and smoothed with my fingers. after it was all dry I painted it with watered down model paint, model masters dark earth acryl, then I sifted some loose dirt to form the cushion on the high side of the race track spraying it heavily or soaking it with drawing fixative to make it stick. Some black paint was rubbed in to show the rubber groove. then a semi gloss clear coat was sprayed over it all. The wall is thin sheet metal pieces that I beat with a hammer, painted silver then white , more hammer and scratching with 50 grit sandpaper.this is how I scratch my cars as well using acrylic paint over enamel paint lightly scraping away the decals and acrylic overcoat revealing the steel or silver paint underneath. the black label beer signs and the sign that reads "the action clay oval" are home made decals scratched of course.I use the thumb and toothbrush trick to splatter the cars and the wall with dark earth paint with some water in it . The fence is hardware cloth painted and washed with aims real rust. sorry to go on so much hope that's what you were looking for Ed, tom

RandB11
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
wnw wnw wnw That is truly incredible!!! Outstanding job!!! I can smell the fumes ,feel the ruts in the track, and hear the roar of the motors coming out of the turn!! Makes me want to race again!! Thanks for sharing!

Rick :lol:

Mercman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Don't forget to mud up the fence a bit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

biged27
[ *  *  * ]
Can't stop looking at it. Did you do something to the cars to make them look like they are twisting coming out of the corner.....?

or is it just the angle of the pic?

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) :))) :))) Love dirt track Dio`s
Posted Image
Posted Image
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

tomcd62
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks guys, awesome dio ronr, I have seen that build somewhere else, fred's resin forum? wish was around to see those run in person,Right Mercman dirt clods on the fence, how could I forget pieces of the track in my splashing beer way back when. Ed, yes both cars have leaf springs in back so I simply placed some small sections of brass tube in-between the frame and the springs on the drivers side to give the cars their stance. I am not sure of how the real mechanics of it works or how to build it. I am hoping no one looks under there. Any how the build took a gold medal, one of 2 awarded out of 12 dios, at the Butch O'hare Chicago chapter IMPS show on sat. I was runner up to best dio and lost to vinyl 1/8 scale "Frankenstien Awakened" kit. It was painted very well and had some alterations but a kit, come on!!!!, tom

biged27
[ *  *  * ]
Still can't stop looking at this. Great job!!! jsm jsm

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin