Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
37 Ford Modified Sportsman; Finished!!
Topic Started: Jun 1 2012, 10:38 AM (5,000 Views)
Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok guys - here is what I have gotten done so far on my 37 Ford Modified Sportsman racecar. The plan is for a complete race team with a '56 Ford pickup and single axle trailer to match. They will be workin outa the Bayou Bengal Racin' shop. This kit is the Revell 37 Ford Coupe Street Rod with just a few changes! Cut the fenders down, corrected the front suspension, and added a '57 Chevy rearend. I am in the process of building the "rollcage", and finishing up the engine and chassis. There will be correct early wide five wheels with tall truck tires installed as soon as they are recieved from the parts house - (Ron's Early Years Resin - GREAT STUFF)!! I just have some parts box refugees on there now! The engine is a 312 Thunderbird with period correct speed parts - a big ol' four barrell carb and some rudimentary headers. Thanks for looking, and more to come.......
Posted ImagePosted Image[img]
Any comments and or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Dave B - Bayouman
Laissez les bon temps roulet - "Let the Good Times Roll!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Looks real good to me looks just like what they ran back in the day

Carl

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking good. Headed out to the shop to pour the tires. With luck I will ship your stuff tomorrow. :)))
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

Dutchman
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks great and love the graphics!! :))) :))) :)))
Powered by ford

26speedster
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Now thats lookin,real kool, Keep the pics comin.. Paul.. fbr
"JALOPY HEAVEN"
FLATHEADS & INLINERS FOREVER.

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks guys! Lookin forward to gettin those tires and wheels Ron! Thanks, again,

Dave B2 - Bayouman

GavinEvitt
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looking fantastic, my kind of old racecar. :)))

I have a stash of 37 pickup kits that I use for engine and suspension pieces on the Coupe kit, although the scales are supposed to be different you can actually use the whole 37 pickup chassis and suspension under the coupe for race cars, and the flathead if you choose that powerplant. Sometimes the original issue pickup and delivery kits can be found real cheap.
Saving the past for the future.

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey Gavin - thanks for the great hint! I do have a couple of 37 pickups, I am going to check that out for sure! Thanks again,

Dave B2 - Bayouman

fireguy14
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks good! B)
Dave Sullivan
my album
There is no replacement for displacement!!

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice!!! fbr fbr
Michel Maheu

resin-daddy
Member Avatar
Administrator /Old has been!!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) fbr fbr
The Smell,Rubber Burning,Nitro In the Air...Never mide me im just looking for my Meds

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
OK guys, just so you will know that I AM workin on this project, here is a little update! Got in the wheels and tires from Mr. Ron at Early Years Resin - they are PERFECT, and THANKS to Ron for offering such a GREAT product! Used his early wide five wheels on the front axle, along with his resin truck tires - they are just right and will make the model look period correct! Since this modified is using a '57 Chevy truck rear end, I decided to use the 6 lug wheels from the Revell Black Widow kit for the rear. Got the roll bar finished, and workin on the engine and seat now - the trailer has been modified by moving the axle rearward about a scale 18" so the center of gravity is closer to correct. Also, I added length to the tongue so it would be more correct too. Just getting started on the 56 Ford PU that will tow the beast to the track.....stay tuned, more to come and thanks for lookin!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dave B - Bayouman

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) pecce
RON ROYSTON
"POP`s"

resin-daddy
Member Avatar
Administrator /Old has been!!
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :)))
The Smell,Rubber Burning,Nitro In the Air...Never mide me im just looking for my Meds

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for all the comments guys! I appreciate them all. Here is a quick update: Decided to leave the 312 engine for another project, didn't think it had enough grunt for a modified sportsman that would weigh as much as this ol' girl would. So, I found a Big ol' Lincoln 368cu in Y-Block motor from a junker 57 Lincoln that I had. So, the engine and carbs are all wired and plumbed, just gettin the exhaust to fit was a fun time. Anyway, here is the progress. Also, please see the 56 Ford Pickup that I started on that will serve as our tow vehicle for gettin to the race track! Thanks for lookin, please stay tuned....
Posted ImagePosted Image

Dave B2 - Bayouman

TonyM
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Really looking great. rrr fbr fbr
I have wondered what it is like to be normal.

RandB11
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) jsm Good looking modified! Colors,graphics, stance, everything! Great job!

Rick :lol:

grampa55
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
rrr Beautiful racer Buddy!! :))) Great work!! Neal

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok guys - Been REAL busy lately, what with the birth of our first Grandson etc, havn't had a chance to get to the bench very much. But, here is a small update on the 37 Ford Modified Sportsman car - got to lookin at those red wheels, and decided that they gotta go, so I am repinting them white again - will add detail to the hubs and lug nuts next. Also, decided that the ol' coupe needed that iconic 37 grill, so I detailed it a little and slapped it back on. Also, cobbled up a seat with some sheet plastic and a parts box single seat - the engine is mounted and a drive shaft is bein made - also, got the stearing column and stearing wheel done, but not installed yet - - - more to come, thanks for lookin!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Dave B - Bayouman

Chargincharlie6
chargincharlie6
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
OOooo yah Paw Paw. Very nice! :))) jsm
AMB RACING Oshkosh, Wi.
You can do it, because you can!

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, I FINALLY finished something!! Here is my circa 1960 37 Ford Modified Sportsman car. This is from the early years of NASCAR and the Modifieds were THE BIG DEAL before the Grand National Cars really took off in the late 50's. The engine is a 1957 Lincoln 368 Cu in "Y-Block", the rear end is from a 57 Chevy etc......Tires and front wheels from Mr. Ron at Early Years Resin - HIGHLY recommending, superior quality products!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Thanks for looking - more to come on the 56 Ford tow vehicle and trailer......

Dave B - Bayouman

clutch13
Member Avatar
''THE MODEL CAR OUTLAW''
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) fbr
Good Ol' Boys Racing M,C,C,
outlaw hotrods,were reality blows out the headers!!!
Posted Image
MY PICTURE BOOK CHECK OUt MY OTHER BUILDS
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/clutch_13/

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
B) :))) :))) :)))
RON ROYSTON
"POP`s"

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok guys - you know how you just can't leave well enough alone? Well, while weathering my 56 Ford push truck for this Modified, I remember what someone said earlier in the build - "Too Clean for my taste." - well, here YA GO!! I did some subtle weathering of the ol' 37 Ford, and you know what, I LIKE IT!! Looks MUCH better and more real - like after some hot laps on a somewhat dry, dusty bull ring!! Thanks for puttin that in my head. Not sure that you can really see it well in these photos, gotta get a new camera!! Let me know what you think.....

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for lookin!

Dave B - Bayouman

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Nice job all around on this build

Carl