Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New skeeter build; Athens Speedway Charles Padgett skeeter
Topic Started: Nov 29 2011, 01:14 AM (3,403 Views)
skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Started a new "Skeeter" owned by Dwight and Freddie Massey of Athens, Ga. and driven by Charles Padgett of Atlanta, Ga.

Here is what we are headed for.

This car was driven to the Speedway championship in 1965. Car was built and driven by Bud Lunsford of Gainesville, Ga. around 1962. Mr. (Dwight) Massey puchased the car from Bud for Charles to drive. In 1963 Athens Speedway dropped the Modified/Super-modified class and created a new Sportsman class. The new class did not allow fuel injection and required the use of a two-barrel carburetor among other cost saving engine rules; and to slow down the cars for safety reasons.
Posted Image

Frame is a heavily modified '32 Ford AMT kit frame with scratch build rear kick-up. Buggy spring in rear with Franklin quickchange.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More pictures as we progress...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :))) Can`t wait to see more.
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like the start to a really sweet build. Keep those updates coming.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

Karl R
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
YES! My kind of car, my kind of build. I don't know much at all about these 1960s "southern modifieds" but i like what i see, every time one comes along. Nice work, please keep us posted! :)))
"The Home of Precision Guesswork"

Rooster
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very nice scratch building here, looking forward to seeing more.
"If the shoe fits wear it,
If the truth hurts bear it!"

signmike
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice project.I want to see more...
Michel Maheu

Zeek
[ *  *  * ]
looking good cant wait to see more :)))

TECHMAN
Unregistered

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AH YEA.........I LIKE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!! fbr fbr :))) :)))

DJ
Quote Post Goto Top

Dr Dremel
Member Avatar
Dr Dremel
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lookin' good Gary. Keep up the good work!!!

Doc
If money will fix it, it's not broke!

"Karl Stark's Poster Boy"

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Iíve temporarily added some wheels, rear section of roll cage and a few other parts. Not much glued-up yet. I'm using 1/16" solid rod to build roll cage, heated with torch lighter on a solid base. Have a small block Chevy with one of Ron's In-Out gearboxes mated to it. The radiator is from Ron as well (finally putting to use some of Ronís gifts from my visit to his shop a couple of years ago). Gas tank is a NASCAR fueling can that I cut the neck off and made a new end. Wheels and tires are from Karl Starks (sorry Ron).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More later this week.

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) looking good Gary! Hey I still have a bunch of Karls stuff in my stash to :))) .
RON ROYSTON
"POP`s"

71 Charger 500
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Now thats a great looking skeeter! fbr
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." Aaron Tippin

Buy AMERICAN, the job you save could be your own!

That Ricer that you just bought - sold- assembled...just cost my wife her job at GM.........Thanks.

Man, that Ricer of yours is fast, you were really movin' when I passed you in my Dodge!

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Gary, The body on Charles ride, is it a `32 or `34?Belt lines say 34, but I have been wrong many times, I was calling the Jabez car a 32 ford and it was an Austin body .?.
Does this ever bring back memorys.....I have got to get out of this building slump and build a few skeeters myself. Loved the Athens rules of 1... 4 barrel but there was nothing in the world that had the sound of an Injected small block on achohol with shorty headers, coming out of turn 4 carrying the left front tire in the air. The sounds, the smells and of course the trackside hotd
RON ROYSTON
"POP`s"

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Ron, the Padgett car body was a '32 Ford. It was painted a Corvette color, Honduras Maroon.

Here are a few pictures of the body on the frame with hood and grill taped on. I used a Revell '32 Ford Sedan street rod. To narrow and shorten the body, I cut the body into 8 pieces and glued it back together .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Working on the wing tonight, will post some more pictures tomorrow night.

carl
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Car is looking great rlr

Carl

skeeter
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
OK...got a wing built and it's just sitting on top of car. I used a Sprint car wing center with sheet plastic for side panels. Getting ready to glue things up so I can paint frame and body.

I'll get some picutres of the painted stuff on the board later this week. Sorry for the poor quality of these pictures, I took them inside my hobby room at night and the camera flash was going off. I'll take pictures of the painted stuff outside in natural light so they should be better.

Thanks,
Skeeter

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Zeek
[ *  *  * ]
lookin good man love the body work and the chassis

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) pecce
RON ROYSTON
"POP`s"

71 Charger 500
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This thing looks fantastic!
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." Aaron Tippin

Buy AMERICAN, the job you save could be your own!

That Ricer that you just bought - sold- assembled...just cost my wife her job at GM.........Thanks.

Man, that Ricer of yours is fast, you were really movin' when I passed you in my Dodge!

TECHMAN
Unregistered

shoo shoo shoo

Don't know HOW that I managed to miss these updates............guess the old brain went sleepy ....................................

THIS IS FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The progress on this is COMIN' ALONG GREAT!!!!!!! fbr fbr :))) :)))

(And don't ever worry about "picture quality" YOUR pictures look JUST FINE...........if "picture quality" was ever a "requirement", I'da got "tossed off the forum" LONG AGO!!!!!!!) rr21 rr21

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK !!!!!!!!!

DJ
Quote Post Goto Top

Dutchman
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeppir!! Love it!! :))) :))) :))) Neat little skeeter!! Denny