Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
S10 Off Road Racer
Topic Started: Jun 13 2011, 04:34 PM (1,464 Views)
IAracefan
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I started with a AMT 96 S10 2whl drive kit and converted it to a 4x4. I used parts from a Nascar kit for the interior, a lot of styrene rod and many parts out of my parts box. Most of the decals are from Slixx.

Thanks for looking, Kevin
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Kevin
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jlhboys1969
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Very nice!
Ricky Bobby: This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

wip
69 Nova pro street
57 chevy l/m

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

TECHMAN
Unregistered

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jsm jsm jsm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME BUILD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fbr fbr :))) :)))

DJ
Quote Post Goto Top

krwasson
Member Avatar
Big Goof
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) :))) :)))
Kevin

Throback
Member Avatar
Frank the CRANK
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
jsm :))) B)
Frank Burval aka Frank the CRANK
Throback Scale Motorsports
Showdown Design and Graphics
Frank the Crank's Speed Shop

-Do your part to recycle plastic. Build models! (Me)
-Throback, its an old nickname...has nothing to do with fishing!!!
-Hey...Its Saturday night! If your not slingin' dirt you better be kickin' asphalt!!!! (Me)
-My Pappy Said, "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that Hot....Rod....Lincoln! (Charles Ryan, W.S. Stevenson)

djway3474
[ * ]
:))) fbr jsm

71 Charger 500
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That is a super nice build! :)))
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." Aaron Tippin

Buy AMERICAN, the job you save could be your own!

That Ricer that you just bought - sold- assembled...just cost my wife her job at GM.........Thanks.

Man, that Ricer of yours is fast, you were really movin' when I passed you in my Dodge!

ricky12
Unregistered

looks great I dont know how I missed this one for so long fbr :))) :)))
Quote Post Goto Top

MojaveRacer208
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hey Kevin, nice build.

In real offroad racing, S10s and Chevy's in general and particularly 4x4s are NOT real common for desert racing or even recreation.On the streets, there are lots of lift-kit posers, but not out in the desert. The primary issue is that the frame rails are bad about cracking. Something about the steel alloy GM uses that doesn't deal well with the stresses. Even with reinforcing, they still tend to break. At a given offroad race, you will find more Ford trucks with Chevy engines than Chevy trucks entered in the race. Almost ALL of the smaller trucks are Rangers and Toyotas.

But that's OK. There is a guy with an early S10 who has been racing it for many years and keeps coming back. He's a paraplegic, so the truck has special built hand controls for him. Since trucks are required to have 2 people riding, that ensures someone with functional legs in the truck with him in case there's a crash or breakdown or other problem. He's not fast and maybe that's why his truck has continued to survive, but he has managed to sometimes be around at the finish when the competition dropped out and he has taken a couple of wins over the years.

Here's a photo of my truck (pre-runner, not racer) for reference:
Posted Image

For those who are not much exposed to desert offroad racing:
The Mojave desert is very rugged terrain and most of the trails are NOT passable for most autos. However, desert racing is more about going fast over the rough terrain than crawling over it. Big horsepower though is far less important than light weight and good suspension. Sometimes a 1650 lb buggy with a limited nearly stock 1600cc VW Bug engine and suspension based on that of the same Bug and costing $30,000 to build and has a top speed of about 70mph, can go around and pass an unlimited class buggy with an 800hp V8 and 30" of wheel travel that cost $250,000 and is capable of 150mph, and go on to win 1st overall. VW Bug engines and suspension still are the most common in the desert, even though VW hasn't sold new Bugs in the US since 1979. The handful of "New Beetles" that have been raced (and my son has helped build one which has been on the cover of Hot VWs and is in the middle of building another) are actually built on tube frames which more closely represent the old Beetle with the "beam" front suspension and even air cooled rear engines.

The radical Trophy Trucks that cost as much as 1/2 a million $$$ have as much in common with a production pickup truck as John Force's 1/4 miler has in common with a stock Mustang. The fastest are ALWAYS 2WD, 4WD actually slows you down 99% of the time.

Yet for all the ruggedness of the race courses, a popular class in offroad racing is called "Class 11", which is for nearly stock VW Bugs. They are required to add a rollcage, can change the seats and whatever tires they can put on the stock wheels and under the stock fenders, change the shocks, and raise the stock suspension as much as they can only by re-setting the torsions. They can take out window glass and back seats and add skidplates underneath. Beyond that, they are stock VWs and have one of the highest finish rates for any class.
Richard

If you don't crash once in a while, how do you know you're going as fast as you can?

Bayouman
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey Kevin -

Love the S-10, great job!! We need to see more of these off-roaders here for sure!

Mojaveracer - great commentary of the off road scene! How 'bout a few pictures of those V-bugs? Need to build one of those......!

Thanks,

Dave B2 - Bayouman
Laissez les bon temps roulet - "Let the Good Times Roll!"

« Previous Topic · OFF ROAD & 4X4 · Next Topic »
Add Reply