Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How I alter my modified frames; Model King frame how to by request
Topic Started: Mar 15 2011, 09:02 AM (1,076 Views)
USMC E5
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Stock Model King asphalt frame

Posted Image
Markings for where I do my cutting.
The 1st marking is 9/16"
the 2nd marking is 3/16"
rear one is cutting across a line of rivits and then removing the fuel cell

Posted Image
Hacked up

Posted Image
Joined back together. Notice the 1/16" round stock (Evergreen #222 rod) tucked down into the grooves of the frame. Key item to restoring strength.

Posted Image
Stock and altered side by side.
Your engine will sit back closer to the firewall. You will also need to re-shape the transmission mount and shorten the driveshaft.

I just use CA to glue everything together. Im sure the solvent/plastic welder works but I like the CA for this.

I hope this helps. There are many ways to achieve the same result but this is how I do it and it is easy. Just keep your cuts square.

In a day or so I will show some pics with filling in the groove with body filler and primer and paint.
   You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
-- Dean Martin
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ricky12
Unregistered

Very nice fbr thanks
Quote Post Goto Top

RandB11
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
:))) Thanks ! Looking forward to the next lesson! I got a couple of Pintos I want to do.

Rick

Racefan
[ * ]
Although I know of this technique, I appreciate you taking the time to share this with everyone!
Ed

USMC E5
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Evercoat Rage body filler, hardener, craft stick for mixing and applying, carboard box for mixing pallet surface.
I have the gallon can from messing around with custom body work but a smaller spot filler tube is available at most quality auto body suppliers.
I stay away from Bondo brand filler as it has a history of shrinking plus the Evercoat is a light weight filler thats sands a lot easier and faster with no shrinkage.
Posted Image

I use the craft stick to mix the filler and hardener, wipe it clean with a rag and then apply the filler into the grooves. Working from one end to the other pushing it in there making sure to not have any pinholes or trapped air
Posted Image

I have 3 more craft sticks with sand paper glued to them with rubber cement. One is 180, another is 220 and the last is 320. Use the 180 to knock down the big stuff and the 220 to shape and the 320 to finish. The 220 finishes out nice and smooth with some cross sanding but the 320 is extra insurance for it being smooth and less need for extra primer coverage to sand it back smooth.
Posted Image

Now I have 2 frames ready for 2 Richie Evans builds. I will fab up the cages and bars prior to primer
   You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
-- Dean Martin

ronr
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Frame How-To is great Tom! Now how about one on the bars .?.
RON ROYSTON
"FLAT HEADS & INLINERS FOREVER""
http://photobucket.com/albums/b68/RonR1025/
http://www.earlyyearsresin.com/
"POP`s"

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · TIPS & HOW TO · Next Topic »
Add Reply