Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I Have Always Wondered
Topic Started: Feb 12 2018, 01:06 PM (79 Views)
Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Even back when the AMT Double Dragster was initially released I wondered about the side-by-side dragster's inspiration. Today I came across this dragster of Dode Martin

Posted Image
Edited by Another Rick, Feb 13 2018, 04:22 AM.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bernard Kron
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
At the end of the 50's and into the 60's twin engine dragsters were the dominant force in top eliminator drag racing, the preferred solution to the kinds of power to weight ratios that had dragsters knocking on the door of sub-8 and 200+ mph performance. If you're interested ion these things, check out a fantastic website, Two-To-Go, which is all about this golden era in early drag racing: TwoToGo.com

The AMT Double Dragster kit, in its side-by-side configuration, with the twin Chevy small blocks is clearly based on the Dragmaster TwoThing, even if it lacks the 3-point hoop style roll cage. There were many more, the most successful perhaps being the fearsome Howard Cams Twin Bear, the 1961 NHRA National Champion, shown here:

Posted Image

If you want to know more about Dode Martin and Jim "Jazzy" Nelson and their highly successful dragster frame building and kit company, Dragmaster, check out this blog entirely dedicated to them and their work: dragmaster.blogspot.com

There was a time when Dragmaster chassis were ubiquitous at every drag meet in the country, populating fields in virtually every class of rail-type drag racing. Perhaps the most succesful runner of Dragmaster frames was the inventive genius of early drag racing, Lew Russell "Sneaky Pete" Robinson, winner of the 1961 NHRA Nationals in his feather light small block Chevy giant killer which put away all the twin engine monsters that year, changing top eliminator drag racing forever and ushering in the new generation of ultra simple, lightweight California style diggers.

Posted Image

Keep on buildin'
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · 1:1 Pictures · Next Topic »
Add Reply