Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to SCALE RACING LOBBY. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
D.I.Y water bottle cap tires; Turn water bottle caps into tires
Topic Started: Feb 10 2018, 08:54 PM (71 Views)
Brian Conn
Member Avatar
2 Corinthians 5:17
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
...A couple of the forum members shown some interest in how this is done.....I am going to divide this into two different "how to's" since the apparatus to make tires out of soft drink bottle caps is slightly larger and requires different pieces to make it work correctly.

First off you will have to come up with the things that you will need to construct the pieces that will hold the bottle caps in place so that a hole can be accurately made. I will show you how to build both pieces...one works with the water bottle caps and the other is for the larger diameter soft drink bottle caps.
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
From Left to Right...Soft drink plastic bottle cap, large water bottle cap, small water bottle cap.

Water bottle caps:

As I have found out, water bottle caps apparently come in two different sizes, which is not too big an issue....I'll start with them first.

You will need the fallowing:

1 ea. 1" Copper coupling , available at any hardware or home improvement store in the plumbing section.

2 ea. Model car tires that fit inside the Copper coupling.....the tighter/snugger the better, you don't want these to be able to move around , because the tires are what helps to center the bore bit.
Posted Image
1 ea. K&S Metals Stock # 8144 21/32 x .014 x 12" Round Brass tube...a section of this will be placed in the center of the tires and will allow the bore bit to accurately make a hole in the cap.

1 ea. 5/8ths Bore bit...I found that this worked best since it has the pointed end to it.

Assembly directions:

Pretty simple.....cut a piece off of the Round Brass tube that is the same length as the Copper coupling and insert the Round Brass tube thru the tires. Insert this assembly into the Copper coupling. Try and keep one tire as close to one end as possible to help keep the Round Brass tube from excess movement. On the other end , the tire will be as far in as the water bottle cap is tall. Make sure and use a water bottle cap that fits inside the Copper coupling...it should fit with no lateral movement. If someone finds another type of cap that works , speak up and say something.

How to use:

Insert a water bottle cap into the end where the tire is set in from the end...make sure there is no gap between the tire and the cap.
Posted Image

Insert the bore bit into the opposite end and slowly make your hole in the cap....I use a cordless drill to keep the RPM's slow enough to make the hole without distortion.
Posted Image
Posted Image
CONTINUED..
Edited by Brian Conn, Feb 18 2018, 08:38 PM.
ON THE WORK BENCH....
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino (Season 2)
FOR THE 2018 RACING SEASON
1932 Ford Altered drag car
1978 Mustang II Hatchback dirt Late Model

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]

Posted Image
If you have two different sizes of water bottle caps , I have found that the smaller caps fit inside the larger caps....so after you have made a hole in a larger cap, save it and use it to hold the smaller caps. You will have to exercise a little bit more patience when making a hole in the smaller cap as it does not fit tight/snug inside the larger water bottle cap.

How to build the tires:

This works with any bottle cap that you use...you could even stick two kit tires together, which I have done with great results.

Assuming that you have already made your holes and that they are centered on the caps properly....

What I am describing is for a dirt tire. If you want to make an asphalt tire , you can on your own, figure out what type of thin sheet plastic you will need to make this work....I would suggest something from Evergreen 020" (0.5 mm) thick.

You will need to determine how wide a tire you will need...don't worry about height since you are limited by the diameter of the bottle cap...I can tell you that the larger water bottle cap you give you a 30 mm. tall tire and the smaller water bottle cap will give you something around 27.75 mm. and a soft drink bottle cap will be slightly North of 31.5 mm.
Posted Image

Determine how wide of a tire you will need...keep in mind it takes two caps to make one tire...trim down height wise one of the caps until you get the width you need. Use CA on the edges of the cap and wait until dried...I suggest Bob Smith Industries Extra-Thick Maxi Cure....there may be a ridge in the center that will need to be removed to make for a flat surface across the caps.

I made a circumference tape to measure the circumference of the caps to determine the length of sheet styrene that is needed.
Posted Image
Note the different hash marks on the tape...I have used this tape to measure kit tires for this same process. Measure the circumference and either mark it on the tape or remember which hash mark the end of the tape was on.
Posted Image
Measure across the caps and determine how wide a piece of sheet styrene will be needed. If you measure from where the start of the curve is on the cap (side wall of tire) to the same location on the other side ,you will have enough width to work with later.
Posted Image
Cut a piece of Evergreen 2125 V-Groove the same length as was determined by your measurement on the tape and to the width needed. As far as cutting the width, I make my cut in the V-groove which is the next size up from what width I need. Center the V-Groove on the caps and use a bead of CA on one end to hold the piece in place...once it has dried repeat the same process around the tire until the piece is in place with no flat spots or distortions.
CONTINUED.....

ON THE WORK BENCH....

Brian Conn
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
You can use a file,sand paper or Dremel to blend the edge of the V-Groove plastic into the side wall of the tire. Use an X-Acto knife to cross cut the grooves in the tire...I found that using a Chisel blade works best...you can cross cut for a square tread or diagonal cut for a Diamond tread or a combination of both.
Posted Image
I used flat Black for the color.

Coming up will be part two: D.I.Y Tires out of plastic soft drink bottle caps.

ON THE WORK BENCH....

Another Rick
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the tutorial. I have seen the results of this method used before, but was never certain how to keep everything in alignment.
I build models because GOD allows me to and because I can't afford the real thing!!

« Previous Topic · TIPS & HOW TO · Next Topic »
Add Reply