Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stormaen and Devil Heart impromptu RP
Topic Started: Nov 11 2016, 04:42 AM (100 Views)
Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
I has been getting help from RP mentor Lamoni to set up the government for Devil Heart. I am most grateful to him because I could see I wasn't going to get around to it myself very quickly at all, and it was frustrating me.

I shared all this with Storm on fb via personal message, before we knew it we had launched into a very silly, slapstick, un-thought out role play - read on at your own peril, add to it if you wish as well, everyone is welcome.

Mattie

I like your current flag

Storm

The British ensign? I wanted something that says "British but Northern", but I'm not sure it captures what Stormaen is about. I was inspired to switch from a British ensign by the kiwi flag designs. Some of them are very pretty.

Mattie

Devil Heart has a President - I think this is because Lamoni (the RP mentor) is American, and because he helps me so much I let him have his head on much of how the govt looks (besides, lets face it, I'm also not much good at this stuff, watching him helps me learn) - but I did have to tell him to take most of the powers for the president away. Matilda Love is but a figurehead!

Storm

Maybe a parliamentary republic then? With both a president and a prime minister, like Iceland!

Mattie

The PM has the power, and I hope the Chamber of Hearts (House of Reps) has most of the power of all - I'm not sure if he has set it up this way - I will read some more to see if I can work that out.
If you would like to look yourself you are most welcome :)
Not good at reading political structures. You must have a look and tell me if we need more adjustments

Storm

Oh! I love that name! "Chamber of Hearts"! Very unique and I love unique!

Mattie

Suitable for Devil Heart. The senate is called 'The Pit'

Storm

Haha! Stormaen got rid of its Senate. In my history, there was a referendum asking retain, reform, remove and the people picked the latter. 😜

.....So how is the Chamber of Hearts chosen? Similar to the Aussie way?

Mattie

Wow! That's big - would almost like that to happen in Devil Heart - but it needs it's devil bit - so I guess I have to retain it

Lamoni said he tried to base much of Devil Heart on the Romanian govt, a democracy but with room for corruption etc - I need to read up on what he wrote for me and let you, and me! know.

Storm

Oh good base!

Mattie

Devil Heart has lovely Tazz and clever Jaw but Port Mania is not a good place at all

Storm

I'll be sure to skirt round it when I visit... Maybe I'll need that dust mask!

Mattie

Haha!

Does Stormaen have contrasting cities?

And are the people happy with their House of Reps?

Now we are presumably a few years in?

I feel Stormaen needs a history update ;)

Storm

Well, I've based a lot of Stormaen on the North East of England. So there's rundown, almost slum-like post-industrial cities; some regenerated and newly affluent cities and all coupled with some rugged, untamed terrain home to sparse, unfamiliar native communities.

Mattie

Wow, it sounds wonderful!

I like to picture the south of DH as having lots of forest and nature - dry - but with rainfall - the way Devils like it

They don't like squelchy mud between their toes ;)

We need to organise state visits or some such between our nations

Storm

Stormaen really does need a history update! I know what I'll be working on later!

Oh and as well as abolishing the Senate, Stormaen now uses the same electoral system as New Zealand: some seats are elected from single member constituencies, some are elected from proportional lists to balance it out.

When I was thinking over what I wanted Stormaen to be, I based it on my own politics and region but realised successive governments probably wouldn't keep the change going. Instead, I plumbed for one man as a driving force. Hence I created a character, assigned him a philosophy and boom - the history wrote itself.

Mattie

Except DH might be too embarrassed to take Stormaen dignitaries to Port Mania - let alone afraid of what might happen there

Storm

South DH sounds like the landscape for me! :D

Well, it would be the same with Sutherland... No PM of Stormaen would take a diplomat from DH there... If they stopped at a traffic light, their car would be up on bricks...

Mattie

I reckon :D Are there ancient ruins and long ancient walls in Stormaen?

hahahaha - we do have similar cities then!

Port mania is mostly run by crime cartels - not a safe place

Huge problem for Tazz, the seat of DH government

Storm

Do you know what... I think there might be! I was wondering if I could feature in a long wall... I was thinking maybe colonists built it. However, they'd probably use timber and I want to be true to history, so to speak. I haven't ruled it out though!

Mattie

They ignore all the national rules

Storm

Port Mania sounds like the city from RoboCop! Hehe

Mattie

OH that would be fun! DH dignitaries could walk along it with Stromaen dignitaries

Storm

I'm guessing that the wall, whilst a symbol of the settlers' heritage, would be a symbol of suppression to the First Nations.

Mattie

Ah, Stormaen has 1st Nations - based on Maori culture?

Storm

Would make for a great historic talking point! Could have a First Nations leader at an election addressing a Stormaen prime minister in a manner similar to how Reagan addressed Gorbachev in Berlin: "Mr <Prime Minister> tear down this wall!"

Mattie

Wow, that would be an excellent idea!
Storm

Maori were indeed the inspiration, but I've based Stormaen's First Nations on North American cultures. I want to imbue them with a real anger at injustice and for Stormaen to have a real and shameful past treatment of them that is finally being addressed.

Mattie
I never thought about if DH had 1 nations

I must think about that

I have been to worried about getting any government at all to think much about the nations history - but this must come next

Storm

I read about the Beothuk of Newfoundland and used them as a base, albeit using more readily available resources of the Innu First Nations of eastern Canada. (The Beothuk are all extinct now but a shade of them lives on in Stormaen.) I even gave Stormaen a First Nations name: "Nitassinan". Adopted by the First Nations as a fly in the face name against the colonists, for "Nitassinan" means "Our Land". 😉

Always start with what your government and country is like now, then work backwards. If you develop a history that alters your present, then alter your present. But always start here and work back. I do it with all my Nations. :)

Mattie

I am so grateful to Lamoni for helping me - I would have an occasional crack at it (history) - but never sustained enough to really make something.

Just TG'd you three of the documents Lamoni created for Devil Heart :) Govt, Parliament and Judiciary. There is also Prefectures and about three military ones < I imagine I got three of these as military is particular interest to Lamoni. I can send you those if you are interested

I have to say, I don't' think about the military at all, probably not a good thing

Storm

Actually, I'm with you on that one. Military is undoubtedly my weakest area in developing Stormaen. Primarily, the island is too small for a sizeable defence force. In "real world" Stormaen, I imagine a lot of its defence abilities would be reliant on NATO support, primarily from Canada (its closest neighbour), the US and probably the UK (as its former imperial master).

Storm

I do know that the Royal Stormaen Navy has two former Royal Navy frigates. And that's about it. Hehe!

Mattie

I am not sure Devil Heart has anything at all - there is something vaguely military looking on the map - not sure who put it there because it wasn't me

Well, that is to say, now Devil Hear seems to have a Military because Lamoni made one, but no equipment :D

Storm

Someone put a military base in DH without your knowledge..? Well now that really is taking a life of its own..! Maybe it was those corrupt Port Manians! I know they couldn't be trusted! Especially that orange-faced, orange-haired billionaire one! Oooo he looks so corrupt! Think it's time for this Manian to set up a shack off the grid in Tazz!

Mattie

hahahhaha it was there when I chose that vacant spot on the map for DH, that and a few power plants. I have kept them, and put up wind farms as well

I love that there is a red haired Trumpet Viking in Port Mania - thnk I'll keep that - he can be a minister or something

Good idea Storm!

Now, what can we turn Trillary into ;)

Then there is always Terry A Bott!

Storm

Trillary... Hmm. Tough one. Well, maybe she's the wife of a former President/Prime Minister who "committed suicide" out of shame of his affair with a secretary. Then what? Hmm. We need the corruption in there. Maybe her charity funds her campaigns but gets around the law by giving the minimum required to charities? Or maybe people around her "just die" when they mess up and embarrass her?

A Bott? Well he's obvious... He's the guy with the sandwich board signs around his neck reading "The End Is Nigh! Repent!"

Mattie

Brilliant! A Bott also grows onions for Trillary's poor

Let them eat ROAR

Storm

Yeah... He "grows onions"... Didn't you hear about that journo who exposed those onion payments didn't actually make onions? Apparently, this A Bott fella is an insider for Killary Minted. He's meant to infiltrate the Rod Trumpet camp. The journo who uncovered it committed suicide though. Somehow managed to shoot himself in the back of the head. Twice.

Mattie

Shame, he has a bright future in a muddy field. I guess the muddy is why they never found the body. Now the police are suffering terminal indigestion for which medicine is available but Killary Minted has it's price. Sign on this dotted line and take this, and go back to work on the force but you know work for the dark side officer ;)

Storm

I hear too that the orange haired fellow has links to the populist movement of Stormaen, that godawful "National Party"...

Mattie

Oh my goodness, burn the bridge!

I wondered why the highways between Port Mania and Sunderland have been expanding and speed limits removed excepting on the bridge itself...

They are the biggest safest roads in Stormaen and Devil Heart

Government hasn't been funding them...

Why, they are almost as remarkable as Higsantium highways!

The Environmental minister has been petitioned by the Green movement to dig beneath them so wild life can get through.

The environmental minister in Devil Heart I mean - haven't got a name for him/her yet.

Storm

Thats true! I hear rumours... The local MP for that area, a Mr Cory Rupt, is the brother of the local mayor who signed off a land deal to compulsory purchase that land from the local First Nations tribe. That was also, it turns out, the very place they wanted to build the bridge to and from... I hear that bridge builders vastly overpaid for that land, too. Mr Rupt is one of the richest men in Parliament is a fierce defender of TransDitch, which many 'high and mighties' have scrupulous links to...

Mattie

However, Port Mania won't fund digging under the highway for the wildlife though, and the Devimanian govt is still obsessed with keeping up with the Canadian space race and elevator.

OMG - it has taken us too long to wake up to this corruption, how long since the bridge opened? No, from what you say, the corruption began before the first stone pillar was placed

For the sake of Stormanean 1st nations and Devimanian wild life - our governments must work together to gain some sort of control

Storm

We best be careful what we write... Who knows what agencies are prying through our privacy and what "accidents" may be waiting for us just round the corner...

Mattie

don't want to drown in the mud in a Devimanian onion patch!

Storm

Nor accidentally crash over the side of the Big Bridge!

Mattie

OH thats right - I forgot what we called our bridge.

Such an excellent name!

And no - we definitely don't....come to think of it, there are a lot of vehicle accidents involving running off that bridge, and suspicious suicides from people jumping.....

Storm

Not to mention surprisingly underwhelming police investigations... "International waters" they say. And yet, they're happy to claim the oil wells under the water there...

Mattie

I wonder how many clean police are left in Devil Heart that could investigate

Yes, you are right!

Talk about the dark side

Does Stormaen have a police force?

Are they corrupted?

Storm

We do. The "Royal Stormaen Police Service". Corrupt? One or two. Incompetent? Completely... They couldn't work out a crime if they saw it happen.

Mattie

I am so disturbed, we opened the Big Bridge for the good of our two nations, it seems our two nations are pawns in a game of corrupt corporate power hunger

WE must claim back Stormaen and Devil Heart before it is too late! Yet all we have are corrupt police and and ill equipped military between us...

Where to start!

Storm

Well, the current opinion polls show the incumbent government is quite popular in Stormaen... As long as the middle class are comfortable, who cares if the rich get richer! The official opposition is the Labour Party... They wouldn't know labour if it hit them in the face... They're all disengaged, urbanite 'liberal' elites. However, the polls show they're neck-and-neck with the National Party. They're Trumpet's hired goons... That leaves only two parties: the Greens and the Innu Party (a First Nations' rights party).

Could we pull off a "Green Revolution" in time for the 2017 general election..? Let's hope! Get the campaigning started! "DRAIN THE SWAMP!" Oh wait, no! Trumpet uses that one (even though he's a 1%er)... Aha! "IT'S GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE!"

Mattie

Perfect, it we both use the slogan, we are referring to each other.

Devil Heart clearly needs a Greens Party

Then we must have the conservative party and the liberal party - need to find names for them

Too late for my naming abilities to be properly functional right now

Storm

How about those names? "DH Conservative Party" and "DH Liberal Party"?

Mattie

It will do for now - and I just may keep them too

Storm

I am actually planning to hold a 2017 general election. Perhaps in April or May. (Although the next election isn't technically due until November 2018 at the latest...)

Or, playing on the C of conservative and L of liberal, you could have the Corrupt Party and the Liar Party? 😜

Mattie

Ooo, I so like that!

Lyrebird Party?

Redback party?

Storm

Yes! Love them both!

Mattie

I like those names too - Redback is conservative and Lyrebird is Liberal

Storm

You could have a Devil Party (slogan: "Better the devil you know!")

But yes, I like both of your names: one claims to be something it isn't and the other is just poisonous!

Mattie

That would be fun too - 'cept Almonaster uses it in Australia - guess I could ask him if he minded if I pinched it

Yep, kinda fun!
The names I mean - reckon I will stick with them

Storm

I think you've struck satirical gold with those names!

Mattie

So we have Greens, Redbacks and Lyrebirds

Wondered about calling the Greens the Greys - our bush colours are grey and Greens parties are pretty grey really when you think about it

Nah, not sure about that one
Will think on it

Storm

Hmm maybe something like Bush Party or something (albeit without connotations of a certain US president...) :lol:
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart go together.
ParrrrTay
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Oi! "The devil you know" is my slogan. :P
It is very hard to find properly cited quotes on the internet.
~Abraham Lincoln

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
OOC: This is great. I miss the old RP.

The military base in Devil Heart was left behind by the previous occupant - Kewl Mitch. I think you just incorporated it into the design though.
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
@ dpl We had fun. I'm looking forward to the next instalment, gotta know what is going to happen. A particularly Stormaen/Devil Heart story right now, but anyone can add their two bits.

@ Al Hehe, I have Devil may Care, Devil You Know :lol: :P
We call it Bwahahahaha and go home for an early tea then :B)
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
Also dpl thanks for that bit of history about Kewl Mitch.
To be on the map he must have been a significant Canadian, I wish I know more about him/her. But I will now include him/her in the histories of Devil Heart in some way. Perhaps even name something Kewl Mitch.

and yes, I chose Devil Heat's plot for the shape of the land mass (a tiny bit like a Tas Devil if they had pointier noses) and because I live near power stations in rl, the ones I saw there looked homely to me.

And I thought it wasn't a bad idea having some military stuff even though I haven't thought about what to do with it. Maybe they could be called Kewl Mitch barracks or some such - will let you know in the thread when I decide.
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
Back then we didn't have any restrictions on who could have a map plot. I don't think Mitch stuck around for long. I don't really remember anything about him, other than he had a brother with a similar forum name.
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]

« Previous Topic · Regional Role Play · Next Topic »
Add Reply