Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A new flag?
Topic Started: Nov 19 2015, 05:51 AM (202 Views)
Stormaen
Member Avatar
Sir Storm of the Order of the Maple Leaf
Speaker
Recently, as is common for Stormaen, a "hooly" (gale) blew through. No more damage than a few loose branches brought down, the odd fence panel relocated and a leaf tornado cheekily tugging at some nana's dress as she fights the wind back to her bungalow.

However, that glorious symbol of Stormaen's past, the Red Duster, the Maple Ensign, "Auld Reed", was ripped away from its lofty lookout over Parliament and blown away! :o

No worries: there's plenty spare! However, that blank flag pole drew a blank canvas on the minds of Stormaeners and made many wonder, "Is it time for a new flag?"

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it...
Above bluster aside, I'm actually retconning a lot of Stormaen's history (as my new gameside flag shows) so the job isn't "suggest a new flag", it's actually "suggest a new and old flag".

The Old Flag
As befitting a former British colony, the old flag needs to be a British ensign. Blue, red or white (or yellow or green or mauve; whatever) is up to you. It should look traditional, however.

I've previously used the maple leaf but that is distinctly Canadian and I don't want to rip it off. I'm trying to pick out a unique symbol for Stormaen (hence the use of a pine(?) tree) but it can be any symbol you think relevant for an island in the middle of the North Atlantic. :thumbsup:

The New Flag
Let loose the hounds of imagination! Be bold, be fresh, be minimalist, be subtle; whatever takes your fancy! It can incorporate the same symbol you may or may not include in an old flag or it may be something completely different.

Obligatory Disclaimer
The usual spiel: I may or may not use any of the designs submitted. It depends on what 'feeling' they give me. If they work, they're in; if not, they're out. Usual protocol. :angel:
Speaker of the House of Commons

"Every joke is a tiny revolution." – George Orwell
:tea:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
First thoughts for an "old" flag. Aiming for the sort of thing the Colonial Office might have dished out.

Posted Image
It is very hard to find properly cited quotes on the internet.
~Abraham Lincoln

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
Stripes! Yes, stripes could work..! Lots of stripy ensigns in the 18th century, I suspect you may be on to something, Al. Plus it works with Stormaen being an island, too!

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Do you want the "new" flag to be based on the old? Or is it a complete break?

~Abraham Lincoln

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
I've actually made up a few of my own I was going to put up here for people's judgment.

The temporary one I've got up on NS at the moment (I'm called it the Pine Tree Flag) has gotten almost universally positive reviews in the flag thread on NSG. I was – no surprises – inspired by the Canadian flag.

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
It's a good simple design, of which style I heartily approve.

Unfortunately for me it has a resonance with the "magic tree" car air-fresheners. *shrugs*.

~Abraham Lincoln

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
At least it'll smell nice! :P I did think that, too, however. Slight colour change from light sea green to pine green, which is more blue in hue. Wasn't sure initially, but it's grown on me and I quite like it now.

Perhaps I should just steal Newfoundland's tricolour, or the Patriote flag of Quebec. Not like they're using those! (Though I find tricolours boring).

Another design idea I had (again, I will have to post these up sometime) incorporated the plough and the North Star. It looks cluttered, however.

« Previous Topic · RP Reference Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply