Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Watch this Space; Astronomy news
Topic Started: May 12 2015, 05:08 PM (617 Views)
Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister

NASA's DAWN mission is now in orbit around Ceres. Ceres is the largest object in the asteroid belt, and was upgraded to a "dwarf planet" at the same time as the controversial demotion of Pluto.

This series of images gives a good impression of the surface, including the interesting bright surface features, currently believed to be ice or salt deposits.

Posted Image
It is very hard to find properly cited quotes on the internet.
~Abraham Lincoln

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fin
Member Avatar
Finie The Goalie
Rad
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A 21-Skwerl Salute for the Dizzy Twirling Hippy Chick!

Canada-Fin
Equinox-Hospitlar
AoQ-Hero

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Going much further out that our own solar system, this video is not new, but still of interest. It is about how our galaxy fits in to what we know of the overall structure of the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo
~Abraham Lincoln

Matilda Love
Member Avatar
^ Daedal Devil ^
Minister
So beautiful.
I had to concentrate hard on what was being said because that stupid visual thinking thing of mine kept drowning out everything else.
I maybe should listen again but switch off the visuals :lol:
My reward can be both together in a third round
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart go together.
ParrrrTay

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Certain events give off very similar signatures, and are used to calibrate and check the results from other observations, where the trade-off between distance and power is not as clear. One of the main "standard candles" is the type 1a supernova, but their exact origins have been unclear. A recent set of observations sheds some light on this...

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/201...--shs052015.php
~Abraham Lincoln

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Some of you may remember back in November last year the Rosetta mission to comet 67P. The lander Philae made contact, bounced and finally settled down. It was active for a couple of days, fulfilling its primary science mission; but then shut down, probably because its solar panels were in the shade.

Now it has woken up again, and tweeted back to base (via Rosetta). ESA are now hoping to gain additional data as the comet continues towards the sun.
~Abraham Lincoln

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Sir Storm of the Order of the Maple Leaf
Speaker
Almonaster,Jun 15 2015
07:56 PM
Some of you may remember back in November last year the Rosetta mission to comet 67P. The lander Philae made contact, bounced and finally settled down. It was active for a couple of days, fulfilling its primary science mission; but then shut down, probably because its solar panels were in the shade.

Now it has woken up again, and tweeted back to base (via Rosetta). ESA are now hoping to gain additional data as the comet continues towards the sun.

I saw this as it broke. How interesting! :thumbsup: Hopefully they can do further research.
Speaker of the House of Commons

"Every joke is a tiny revolution." – George Orwell
:tea:

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Back in March, NASA announced that researchers using the Hubble space telescope have detected the presence of a saltwater ocean on Ganymede, Jupiter's largest moon.

Scientists speculated for years about the existence of a liquid ocean under the icy surface of the moon, and geologists even mapped Ganymede's rocky exterior to get a better idea of its features. But until now, they weren't completely sure what was under the crust.

more...
~Abraham Lincoln

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Oops! Forget the fancy landing, let's get this thing off the ground safely first.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/06/28/s...-during-launch/
~Abraham Lincoln

Matilda Love
Member Avatar
^ Daedal Devil ^
Minister
That is a shame :(
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
An asteroid with rings...

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles...eroid-rings.htm
~Abraham Lincoln

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
I was just reading an article he other speculating on ringed asteroids. :P Man, they work quick! :lol:

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
The New Horizons probe has suffered a malfunction. It has essentially re-booted in safe mode, so is back in touch but needs investigation and work to deal with the underlying problem. They've got just over a week to fix it!

http://www.space.com/29853-new-horizons-gl...luto-flyby.html
~Abraham Lincoln

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
No! :o :no:

I am so looking forward (as many are) to finally seeing what Pluto looks like! It would be devastating if something went wrong and couldn't be fixed! :(

I remember when it first launched how excited I was that we'd finally see what Pluto was like. A long wait and many discoveries later, I'm no less enchanted!

Please let it be fixable! Posted Image

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Looks like it should be OK...

Space.com

NASA's New Horizons spacecraft will be ready for its epic Pluto flyby next week despite a recent glitch, mission team members say.

New Horizons went into a precautionary "safe mode" on Saturday (July 4) after experiencing an anomaly, but the problem did not turn out to be serious. New Horizons' handlers say the probe should be back to normal science operations by Tuesday (July 7), exactly one week before it performs the first-ever flyby of Pluto.

"The investigation into the anomaly that caused New Horizons to enter 'safe mode' on July 4 has concluded that no hardware or software fault occurred on the spacecraft," mission team members wrote in an update Sunday (July 5). "The underlying cause of the incident was a hard-to-detect timing flaw in the spacecraft command sequence that occurred during an operation to prepare for the close flyby. No similar operations are planned for the remainder of the Pluto encounter."

Full article
~Abraham Lincoln

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
Almonaster,Jul 6 2015
03:59 PM
Looks like it should be OK...

Space.com

NASA's New Horizons spacecraft will be ready for its epic Pluto flyby next week despite a recent glitch, mission team members say.

New Horizons went into a precautionary "safe mode" on Saturday (July 4) after experiencing an anomaly, but the problem did not turn out to be serious. New Horizons' handlers say the probe should be back to normal science operations by Tuesday (July 7), exactly one week before it performs the first-ever flyby of Pluto.

"The investigation into the anomaly that caused New Horizons to enter 'safe mode' on July 4 has concluded that no hardware or software fault occurred on the spacecraft," mission team members wrote in an update Sunday (July 5). "The underlying cause of the incident was a hard-to-detect timing flaw in the spacecraft command sequence that occurred during an operation to prepare for the close flyby. No similar operations are planned for the remainder of the Pluto encounter."

Full article

Phew! :rolleyes: :D

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
New horizons is kinda busy right now, so won't be transmitting much until tomorrow. Meanwhile, NASA have released this image taken on the way in...

Posted Image
~Abraham Lincoln

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
http://www.sciencealert.com/a-mini-ice-age...e-next-15-years

Good news in terms of climate change, although bad if it is used by politicians as an excuse to do less. I should point out (as should the journalist) that a drop of 60% of solar "activity" does not mean a drop of 60% in solar output - more like a couple of percent.
~Abraham Lincoln

Matilda Love
Member Avatar
^ Daedal Devil ^
Minister
Almonaster,Jul 14 2015
08:00 AM
New horizons is kinda busy right now, so won't be transmitting much until tomorrow. Meanwhile, NASA have released this image taken on the way in...

Posted Image

For me, this is such a a hauntingly beautiful picture.
I can't stop looking at it.

Better move further north too :yes:
Darwin sounds nice.
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
That picture of Pluto is absolutely stunning. I've wondered what it would like since childhood and there it is. Mattie sums it up perfectly: "...hauntingly beautiful picture. I can't stop looking at it."

I look forward to what else will come. :)

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Real Life Politics and Current Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply