Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Signups for winter Cross Regional Games
Topic Started: Feb 13 2015, 03:27 PM (127 Views)
Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
Time to dig your way out of the snow drift at the front door nations, this is what your athletes have been 'training' for!
So offer them a free air ticket to and coupon for the 'Lost Comet Pub' and get them signed up to win for Canada :cananim: at the Winter Olympic Cross Regional Games to be held in Wysteria.

Posted Image

To sign up, create a list and post it in the thread below, stating your:

1/Nation Name
2/the name of athlete(s) or name of team you are sending to each category.
Your nation will need to submit an athlete/team for each of the events listed above

As this is a Unisex Event, you may submit either female or male name(s) of athletes to the different categories.
If your athlete's sex isn't easy to decipher by name, please put (m) or (f) after the name

Team categories require names of team only, not all the men or women in the team.

Here is a handy list of definitions for each event:
Event definitions, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Speed skating is a competitive form of ice skating in which the competitors race each other in travelling a certain distance on skates.

Skeleton is a winter sport featured in the Winter Olympic Games where the competitor rides head-first and prone (lying face down) on a flat sled. It is normally run on an ice track that allows the sled to gain speed by gravity.

Biathlon is a winter sport that combines cross-country skiing and rifle shooting. A variant is summer biathlon, which combines either cross-country running or roller-skiing with rifle shooting.

Giant slalom (GS) is an alpine skiing and alpine snowboarding discipline. It involves skiing between sets of poles (gates) spaced at a greater distance to each other than in slalom but less than in Super-G. Giant slalom and slalom make up the technical events in alpine ski racing.
Note: we call this 'Giant Slalom' for the Winter Olympics being held in Wysteria

Ski jumping is a form of nordic skiing in which athletes descend a take-off ramp, called an inrun, jump, and fly as far as possible. Points are awarded for distance and style. Ski jumping is predominantly a winter sport, and has been part of the Winter Olympic Games since their inception in 1924.[1] It can also be performed in summer on artificial surfaces.

Snowkayaking or snowboating is a winter sport practised by experienced kayakers. In contrast to the summer sport, the medium of descent does not consist of rivers, but of snow, typically in the backcountry but occasionally at resorts and ski areas.[1] Races are held in a modus known from the snowboard sport and is called boatercross where four kayakers race against each other. The first two of each race will step forward in the next round.

Skijoring is a winter sport where a person on skis is pulled by a horse, a dog (or dogs) or a motor vehicle. It is derived from the Norwegian word skikjøring meaning ski driving.

Figure Skating is a sport and activity in which individuals, duos, or groups perform on figure skates on ice. It was the first winter sport included in the Olympics, in 1908. The four Olympic disciplines are men's singles, ladies' singles, pair skating, and ice dancing.

Curling is a sport in which players slide stones on a sheet of ice towards a target area which is segmented into four concentric circles. It is related to bowls, boules and shuffleboard. Two teams, each with four players, take turns sliding heavy, polished granite stones, also called rocks, across the ice curling sheet towards the house, a circular target marked on the ice.

Ice Hockey is a team sport played on ice in which two teams of skaters use sticks to shoot a hard rubber puck into their opponent's net to score points.

Alpinism: Mountaineering is often called Alpinism, especially in European languages, which implies climbing with difficulty such high mountains as the Alps. A mountaineer with such great skill is called an Alpinist.

Please note 'Winter Swimming' from the above definitions has been replaced by 'Snow Kayaking'
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart go together.
ParrrrTay
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Just to make life a little easier for the chronically lazy, here is a template...
Code:

[b]Nation Name : [/b]
[LIST]
[*][b]Speed skating : [/b]
[*][b]Skeleton : [/b]
[*][b]Biathlon : [/b]
[*][b]Giant slalom : [/b]
[*][b]Ski jumping : [/b]
[*][b]Snow kayaking : [/b]
[*][b]Skijoring : [/b]

[*][b]Figure Skating : [/b]

[*][b]Curling : [/b]
[*][b]Ice Hockey : [/b]
[*][b]Alpinism : [/b]
[/LIST]

I presume Winter Swimming has been replaced by Snow Kayaking...?
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. ~ Mencken

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Nation Name : Almonaster Nuevo

• Speed skating : Gogoko Gonzales (f)
  • Skeleton : Luis Bakemon
  • Biathlon : Maria Abusoruto
  • Giant slalom : Gangi Kantar (m)
  • Ski jumping : Salto Daisukii (m)
  • Snow kayaking : Daniosa Koteji (f)
  • Skijoring : Sakkyu Invierno (m)

• Figure Skating : Estilo & Gracia Kasuberu

• Curling : Kakougan Alsomeda
  • Ice Hockey : Farben Focas
  • Alpinism : Paseo del Sanchi
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. ~ Mencken

Posted Image

ParrrrTay
Member Avatar
...just a girl in the world.
Minister
Nation Name : ParrrrTay

• Speed skating : Emma Friesen
  • Skeleton : Viktor Nikolayevich
  • Biathlon : Avery Kocheev (m)
  • Giant slalom : Grace Fulley
  • Ski jumping : Anthony Stark
  • Snow kayaking : Helen Highwater
  • Skijoring : Lillian Heimark

• Figure Skating : Angelina Moretti & Giovanni D'Angelo

• Curling : Chiara Balayage
  • Ice Hockey : Midfield Mavens
  • Alpinism : Rockin' Rubies
The Pubs of Parkplace
Delegate, Canada

Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be
~P.FLOYD

Sail on my friend...
Holding Shelter
Twirl Hippy Chick twirl

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
@ Al, yes it has, thanks for picking this up

:cananim:

We have a Canadian teams!
I will add Devil's Hearts athletes soon.
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
Nation Name :

• Speed skating : Fairlea Godmother
  • Skeleton : Skye Row
  • Biathlon : Poppy Tall
  • Giant slalom : Oliver Twist
  • Ski jumping : Granny Frost (grandma)
  • Snow kayaking : Knut Braveheart
  • Skijoring : Grumpy Frost (grandpa)

• Figure Skating : Isaac Newton & Ada Lovelace

• Curling : The Jaw Breakers
  • Ice Hockey : The Marvellous Miss Maples
  • Alpinism : The Frost Giants
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Sir Storm of the Order of the Maple Leaf
Speaker
Add one more, please! :D

Nation Name : Stormaen

• Speed skating : Eden Denman (m)
  • Skeleton : Ginnie Bonner (f)
  • Biathlon : Ezekiel Mwenye (m)
  • Giant slalom : Angelica Beck (f)
  • Ski jumping : Topher McGregor (m)
  • Snow kayaking : Newton Midgley (m)
  • Skijoring : Alec Woodhouse (m)
  • Figure Skating : Oliver Jenkins & Elizabeth Rose
  • Curling : Will Tate (m)
  • Ice Hockey : Sutherland Sluggers
  • Alpinism : Mountain Goats
"Every joke is a tiny revolution." – George Orwell
:tea:

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
What a great team from Canada :cananim:

I will draw up an excel spread and deliver our athletic goods to the game facilitators some time in the next 24 hours :race:
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Remember to include the name of your own nation! :P

Posted Image

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Sir Storm of the Order of the Maple Leaf
Speaker
Almonaster,Feb 23 2015
02:04 AM
Remember to include the name of your own nation! :P

This made me double check my work! :lol:
"Every joke is a tiny revolution." – George Orwell
:tea:

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
It was @Mat, but not a bad result anyway. :lol:

Posted Image

the land
Member Avatar
Just another mile
I'm not to late am I? If not here is my team.

Nation Name :Wild Mustanges

• Speed skating :Brittney Powers
  • Skeleton :Kat Jennings (f)
  • Biathlon :Courtney Jennings
  • Giant slalom :Alex Summers (m)
  • Ski jumping :Al Grant (m)
  • Snow kayaking :Ceilidh Summers (f)
  • Skijoring :Adam Powers

• Figure Skating :Ariel Stormwalker & Carl Rain

• Curling : Mike from Canmore
  • Ice Hockey : Horse Power
  • Alpinism :Equine Extreme
You Don't Take Time out of Life for Music, You Take Time out of Music for Life~Unknown

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
You are definitely not too late the land :D

:cananim: I have made up the excel file, and am about to deliver to the organising team in Wysteria. :cananim:

Signups for the Wysterian Winter Olympics have now closed.

But stay tuned sports enthusiasts, you can follow the events as they unfold right here in International Voice, where I will be reporting on highlights, low lights and any illuminating gossip.
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
Look out for the threads opening at noon in Wysteria on Saturday.

I believe both the Observer's Seat and the Alpinism Thread will be open.

The Alpnism thread is opening a little earlier so you can get over there and introduce your gallant team of adventurers and let us all see how they prepare for when the race begins come March 2nd.
Alpinism is a strong role play thread, the winners and losers are all important, it will be the story that matters here :)
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Village · Next Topic »
Add Reply