Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Global cooling is ...
Real – feel the freeze! 1 (50%)
Myth – a load of hot air! 1 (50%)
Ice, ice, baby! 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 2
Global Cooling: Myth or Reality?
Topic Started: Feb 6 2015, 06:06 AM (94 Views)
Stormaen
Member Avatar
Sir Storm of the Order of the Maple Leaf
Speaker
"We all know global cooling is a myth," barks bystander Richard Cranium, "It's just a conspiracy put out there by energy firms and governments to make us pay more! If 'global cooling' is real, how come summers are still hot? See! There's no proof, they're just freezing the books!"

Professor Sienna Tist sighs, lowering her glasses and rubbing the bridge of her nose, "Global cooling is not a myth, it's proven science. All the evidence suggests our world is cooling gradually. Glaciers are growing, snowfalls are coming earlier and lasting longer. Ground temperatures are already between 0.5°C and 1.5°C cooler than they were a century ago."

The arguments are continuing to, ironically, heat up...

So, we're currently building a space elevator here in Canada which leads me to assume – rightly or wrongly – that we're entering the 'post-modern technology' (PMT) role-playing genre.

With that in mind, given we're likely to be most of the way towards a post-industrial environment, perhaps instead of global warming, Planet Canada could suffer from global cooling. This could either be 1) a natural cooling or 2) normalising of a previous global warming phase.

It's a little different from the norm, I feel. So what say you, Canada?
Speaker of the House of Commons

"Every joke is a tiny revolution." – George Orwell
:tea:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
I was envisaging us as a somewhat colder planet than Earth to start with. The effects of industrialisation would be similar, so we should see a little warming, which might be more acceptable here. We do have a lot of ice-covered land. If that melts, we could have problems with sea-level rises. On the other hand, if people are being all green and non-carbon we might be seeing a natural ice-age? Interesting idea, anyway.
It is very hard to find properly cited quotes on the internet.
~Abraham Lincoln

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Sir Storm of the Order of the Maple Leaf
Speaker
Likewise, industry make me lean toward global warming but then, given we're at the technological stage to develop a space elevator, I'm thinking we're probably post-modern tech which could well mean the world absorbing and locking away more CO2 than we're producing by industry.

Plus I thoug it might be interesting to play a different angle. Rather than governments worrying about rising sea levels, they could be facing a dilemma of falling sea levels and encroaching ice sheets.

Still, something to dwell on! :P
Speaker of the House of Commons

"Every joke is a tiny revolution." – George Orwell
:tea:

« Previous Topic · Regional Role Play · Next Topic »
Add Reply