Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Our solar system
Topic Started: Jan 25 2014, 03:57 PM (290 Views)
Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Since we have RP venturing out into space, I thought it might be good to put together a guide to our solar system. What follows are my initial suggestions, intended as a starting point for discussion. The sun and first planet proposed are real - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_118203 , the names are made up. The remainder is purely imaginary but to the best of my ability consistent.

All times are given by Earth standard. Canadian time differs - see below.

Sun
Designations: Borealus, BD+54° 1609, HIP 66192, SAO 28802
Spectral type: K0IV
Mass: 2.646 * 1030kg

7 planets, listed outwards from Borealus.

Janus
A hot superjovian in a very close orbit.
Mass: 4.12 * 1027kg
Mean radius: 1.13 * 108m
Orbital period: 6 days 3h 12m
Orbital radius: 1.08 * 1010m
Sidereal Rotation period: 14h 1m 9s
Axial tilt: 5.72°
Moons: 5 (Small and probably temporary)

Medea
A small rocky world with almost no atmosphere.
Mass: 7.03 * 1023kg
Mean radius: 3.14 * 106m
Orbital period: 56 days 22h 18m
Orbital radius: 4.76 * 1010m
Sidereal Rotation period: 73h 20m 47s
Axial tilt: 19.06°
Moons: 0

Linda
A super-Venus, about 4 times Earth mass, hot and with a dense cloudy atmosphere.
Mass: 1.95 * 1025kg
Mean radius: 8.74 * 106m
Orbital period: 274 days 1h 48m
Orbital radius: 1.36 * 1011m
Sidereal Rotation period: 21h 18m 11s
Axial tilt: 8.74°
Moons: 1 small

Canada
Slightly smaller and denser than Earth. At the cool end of the habitable zone.
Mass: 4.87 * 1024kg
Mean radius: 5.98 * 106m
Orbital period: 695 days 9h 52m
Orbital radius: 2.53 * 1011m
Sidereal Rotation period: 25h 4m 11s
Axial tilt: 26.04°
Moons: 3 (1 large similar to Luna, 2 smaller ones (one close in, one further out.))
Caluna's orbit at approx 420,000 Km, Lucy at 89,000 Km, Nanuk at 643,000 Km

Geostationary orbit is approx 34,600 Km above the equator.

A local hour is about 16s longer than on Earth, and each day has 25 hours.
A year has 665 local days, usually reckoned in 19 months of 35 days. A leap day is needed 3 years out of 4.

Andre
A gas giant, a little smaller than Saturn, but more dense.
Mass: 5.14 * 1026kg
Mean radius: 4.31 * 107m
Orbital period: 2066 days 20h 55m
Orbital radius: 5.23 * 1011m
Sidereal Rotation period: 15h 56m 43s
Axial tilt: 11.73°
Moons: 26

Asteroids
There is an asteroid belt between Andre and Zamhareer, another less dense one between Zamhareer and Thule, plus clusters at the trojan points of all the major planets, particularly Andre.

Zamhareer
A large icy planet, probably with a rocky core. Hydrogen, ammonia and methane atmosphere.
Mass: 7.44 * 1024kg
Mean radius: 1.61 * 107m
Orbital period: 8571 days 14h 15m
Orbital radius: 1.37 * 1012m
Sidereal Rotation period: 32h 6m 58s
Axial tilt: 31.66°
Moons: 9

Dwarf planets
There are two dwarf planets orbiting between Zamharmeer and Thule, another in the trailing trojan of Janus, plus a further 7 which have been identified further out.

Thule
Mass: 8.15 * 1025kg
Mean radius: 2.46 * 107m
Orbital period: 33957 days 12h 31m
Orbital radius: 3.38 * 1012m
Sidereal Rotation period: 27h 19m 12s
Axial tilt: 6.05°
Moons: 16

The chances are huge that I've made a mistake somewhere - if you spot anything odd, please shout.

EDIT - some calcs were wrong - thanks to The Solar System Scope of The South Pacific for checking.
Info on Moons and GSO added.
It is very hard to find properly cited quotes on the internet.
~Abraham Lincoln

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matilda Love
Member Avatar
^ Daedal Devil ^
Minister
This is great, thanks!

Trying to work out if La Lune is there or not from

Almonaster

Moons: 3 (1 large similar to Luna, 2 smaller and further out.)

I am probably reading it wrong - but is sounding like there are 4 planets.....? er sorry - read moons :lol:
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart go together.
ParrrrTay

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
There are Moons listed for each planet. I'm suggesting that Canada (the 4th of 7 planets) has 3 moons. Of those 1 is La Luna/the moon, which looks similar to the moon from Earth. The other 2 are tiny and you have to look hard to spot them.

Naming Canada's moons I have left for debate, since I suspect there will be many ideas. I'll use Caluna as a placeholder for now.

From the Orbital mechanics, Caluna will be at a very similar distance to Earth's moon. I envisaged it a little smaller, but appearing wider than the sun (which is larger but further away than Sol from Earth). That would allow for full Solar eclipses, but only partial lunar eclipses.

Another notable feature are the morning/evening stars. Janus is huge for a planet and very close to the sun. It would occasionally be visible briefly but very intensely at dawn or dusk. Linda would be brighter than Venus, and be a very prominent morning/evening star, switching roughly every 5 (local) months. Medea would also be visible around dusk, but is much less intense than the other two.
~Abraham Lincoln

Lorelai County
Member Avatar
Stanley Cup Champ
[crazy mode on]

In summary: One of Canada's moon is a very big diamond. In case you would accept such a celestial object, every one of us could make some cultural stories about this moon. E.g. I would call it Lorelai, names after an ancient goddess, which also gave the name to our island. Some funny stories about how people went wako would be possible. We could even make a separate RP where we attend together a lunar illumination. :-D

Name: Controversial due to cultural differences and some greedy bastards using that to make up a case to claim the diamond for future mining.

Science Facts: The slightly oval shaped trajectory is imperfect. The extending helical trajectory will leave Canada's gravitational dominance in approximately 25'000 years. About 75% of its mass are carbon allotrope in form of diamond lattice. Within the core structure are additional 10% graphite and traces of boron. 15% is a mix of mainly water and a minor amount of particles predominantly graphite.

Science Assumption: Consensus is that the moon is a former asteroid, which was captured by Canada's gravitation. However scientist struggle to explain from where it originates. It is assumed to be a collision fragment of a former super-sized planet from outside of our solar system. The sites of fractures on the surface strengthen the collision theory. The lack of gravitational collected particles on the surface indicate that it has entered our solar system long after it has taken its final form. It is assumed that the ice and dust on the surface has been mostly lost as comet's tail during the travel through space. Based on currently know geological processes, scientist are unable to explain the creation of diamond lattice of similar size. One of many mysteries.

Just for the beauty: Most of sun's light passes through it's transparent mass. However the natural rough surface of the diamond and the graphite inclusions reflect portions of the light, allowing the moon to appear as a dimmed moon-star to an observer from Canada. Since most of the light is absorbed instead reflected it is impossible to recognize surface with the unaided eye.
Protected by Canada from the sun the surface water freezes to ice. When reentering the insolation a minor comet's tail develops that can be seen in rare cases when the conditions are right on Canada.

Lunar illumination: Although the trajectory conditions are the same for a lunar eclipse, the result is very different. The size of the moon and distance to Canada prevent the coverage of the sun. Due to this brightness directly seeing into the moon during an illumination without according protections will lead to blindness (i.e. same as you would stare into the sun). However the sun coverage is sufficient to cover an area of Canada's atmosphere and surface in a colourful sparkling light that is visible to the human eye. This is possible to the moon's transparency and clear breakages, which refracts the light. The boron impurities and the plastic deformation of the crystal lattice turns the light mostly into mix of blueish, rose-reddish and purple glimmer. Atmosphere, meteorological and surface conditions add to the colour plate. Due to the dependency of so many factors the colour-appearance of illuminations vary. You can imagine that this is quite a show and attracts crowds and soon-to-be brides, who want to show their future frustrated husbands what they expect from them as wedding ring.

Human relationship: Compared to it's bigger moon-brothers the influence on Canada's tide is neglectable. However it is important to the cultural development of humans in early history especially in regard of religions and superstitions. More recently the economical factor for the tourist and wedding industry has become more dominant.

[crazy mode off]
Posted Image ----> Posted Image

Matilda Love
Member Avatar
^ Daedal Devil ^
Minister
There really are diamonds in the sky!
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Well, maybe. LC's idea is extremely improbable, but not impossible. I'd prefer to keep things as realistic as possible, but if people like the idea I won't object too hard. :B)
~Abraham Lincoln

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Sir Storm of the Order of the Maple Leaf
Speaker
This thread just took stotted my brain across the wall...

So we're in our own solar system now? Well, time to shed the British side of Stormaen... Lest 16th century English explorer were spacefaring... :blink:

I like the idea, though some of the names are a bit hard to say. :P But I'm feeling it! Caluna is a good one too! :cananim: And diamonds in the sky! Rihanna would appreciate that one... :rolleyes: Not sure how you'd mine a giant diamond though, they're the hardest substance known to man aren't they? They'd take lasers or something.

I think the Mars equivolent (of there is one) should be called Rauda or Rautha from the Old Norse rauða ("red"). I love Thule as a name, too. I'd like to see the name "Havoc" somewhere, maybe the large stormy world.

Alternatively, we could just have many different, native names for the plants.

Lastly: I'd like to see Linda on an evening (erm, the planet, not her down the street). If Venus is bright, I bet Linda is stunning (both the planet and the lady!). :P
Speaker of the House of Commons

"Every joke is a tiny revolution." – George Orwell
:tea:

Lorelai County
Member Avatar
Stanley Cup Champ
Stormaen,Jan 26 2014
05:47 PM
Not sure how you'd mine a giant diamond though

We have plans to attach some engines on that moon to change the helical trajectory towards Canada. When the diamond moon lands in my yard, we use some gold painted anchor chains and I wear it every day. Won't be able to move though, but just imagine that bling.

PS: Diamonds are hard but also brittle to a certain extend. When you get the right angle on the crystalline structure (especially at the edges) it can chip/break.

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
If we're going to have diamonds in the sky then we really aught to have Lucy too.

I think maybe the diamond asteroid should be a little more inaccessible. Otherwise it would become a priority over the elevator.
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
disposablepuppetland,Jan 27 2014
09:54 AM
If we're going to have diamonds in the sky then we really aught to have Lucy too.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
I was thinking that might be a good name for LC's moon.
~Abraham Lincoln

Lorelai County
Member Avatar
Stanley Cup Champ
10:54 AM
I think maybe the diamond asteroid should be a little more inaccessible. Otherwise it would become a priority over the elevator.

But if it is too far away, we lose the lunar illumination. Without that it is just another boring rock in space :(

Like the name Lucy. We got a moon elevator song ;)

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
Lorelai County,Jan 27 2014
09:49 PM
10:54 AM

But if it is too far away, we lose the lunar illumination. Without that it is just another boring rock in space :(

Like the name Lucy. We got a moon elevator song ;)

I see DPL's point though. If there's a giant diamond floating in space then the space race would be about who can get there and claim it. Plus if there's a religious/cultural attachment to it, there'll be far more emphasis on it rather than our current project.

I like the idea though.

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Here's an idea of the sizes of the planets. Click for larger version. I can't get photobucket to give me the full size. :( I'll post a link if I find a better host.

(Note these are just size comparisons - the closest any of them would come to each other is over 100 times the full width of this image)

Posted Image

OK - split into 4...

Janus (still only 40%)

Medea, Linda and Canada
(NB: the Canada image is based on DPL's work in Planet Canada)

Andre

Zamhareer and Thule
~Abraham Lincoln

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
Gah! That name Zamhareer... :P It's just not growing on me. :unsure:

I mean, it's exotic enough but it's not nice on the tongue. I'm not even sure if I'm saying it right! :blush: Call it Beetlejuice!* :P

*Not Betelgeuse:lol:

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Well, different countries may well have different names. For reference it's a cold hell in Arabic mythology, which is why I picked it.

Just don't say Beetlejuice 3 times. He always leaves a real mess.
~Abraham Lincoln

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Made some corrections, and added...

Geostationary orbit is approx 34,600 Km above the equator.
Caluna's orbit at approx 420,000 Km, Lucy at 89,000 Km, Nanuk at 643,000 Km

Even if Lucy was primarily diamond it wouldn't be a single huge crystal. To avoid the value problem, could I suggest it is instead composed primarily of rock crystal (quartz, SiO2). That could allow for pretty prismatic effects, but would not be worth mining. I've placed it in a low orbit for visibility.

~Abraham Lincoln

Matilda Love
Member Avatar
^ Daedal Devil ^
Minister
Gobsmacked this time.
Thanks for making :D
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Stormaen
Member Avatar
Speaker
I saw this and had to post! :lol:

Plantoidia
Member Avatar
Kawaii Desu
Why didn't anyone think of this when I was around? :hail:
In English: Greetings from the utterly woodsy nation of Plantoidia! Peace & friendship to all!
En Français: Salutations de la nation tout à fait boisé de Plantoidia! Paix et amitié à tous!

Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · RP Reference Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply