Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Syrup
Topic Started: Apr 22 2013, 04:28 PM (100 Views)
Lorelai County
Member Avatar
Stanley Cup Champ
Oh, I'm so going to watch this... http://www.nationstates.net/page=news/2013/04/09/index.html. Someone of you read the book? I haven't but I'm not sure if I should do it prior or after the movie. I was totally disappointed by Lord of the Rings books after seeing the movie.
Posted Image ----> Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matilda Love
Member Avatar
^ Daedal Devil ^
Minister
I have yet to read the book or watch the above - but is on my to do lists.
Some of those are quite long of course.
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart go together.
ParrrrTay

ParrrrTay
Member Avatar
...just a girl in the world.
Minister
It's also on my to do list. I believe I'll wait for the movie on this one. Generally I read the books then the movies are disappointing.
The Pubs of Parkplace
Delegate, Canada

Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be
~P.FLOYD

Sail on my friend...
Holding Shelter
Twirl Hippy Chick twirl

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
Hmm... not sure about that. I've already read the book, and I liked it, but the characters in that trailer are not at all how I imagined them.
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]

Rylvan
Member Avatar
Premier Poster
I read the book, but it was a while ago. Before I even started playing NS I think. Don't remember much, wasn't blown away by it. Trailer looks interesting. I'm surprised they got big names like Amber Heard and Kellan Lutz. Always thought if it did get made it would be some little indie film made for $100,000 starring complete unknowns. Congrats Max Barry.
Chuck Norris Points: 2

28 DAYS LATER: Abraham Weiss ~ 3:10 TO YUMA: Dwight "Bud" Marlowe ~ CANADIAN DOMINATION: Lord Marshal Casder ~ COPS: Jamie Vance ~ CSI: Jesse Vance ~ D&D: Caliban Canivar ~ GUARDIAN SOCIETY: Salvo, Alpha Boy ~ ON THE FRONT: Pvt. Dominic Reardon ~ MEDIEVAL TIMES: Prince Johann ~ SPIES: Leroy Perlman ~ STAR ADVENTURE: WO Andre Lanter ~ STRANDED: Justin Vance ~ SUPERNATURAL: Rhett Van Sprang ~ TIMESPLITTERS: Spc. Jeremiah "Rookie" Vance ~ WILD LIFE: Rex

Lorelai County
Member Avatar
Stanley Cup Champ
Rylvan,Aug 4 2013
06:52 AM
...big names like Amber Heard and Kellan Lutz...

To me these names seem to be written in the same font size as the rest of the text!?

Na :P I guess on the dark side of the moon where I live they aren't that famous. At least I never heard of them.

Carb
Member Avatar
The all-seeing eye.
Lorelai County,Apr 22 2013
09:28 PM
Oh, I'm so going to watch this... http://www.nationstates.net/page=news/2013/04/09/index.html. Someone of you read the book? I haven't but I'm not sure if I should do it prior or after the movie. I was totally disappointed by Lord of the Rings books after seeing the movie.

JRR Tolkien does write in a unique idiom.

If Tolkiens' particular style is not to your liking, I suggest the "magician" series by Raymond E Fiest. The style is much more contemporary.
Digital Seraphim.

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
I would agree with Carb - Feist is one of the best contemporary fantasy authors.

Also good, and set in the same universe is the Daughter of Empire trilogy co-authored by Janny Wurts.
You use a mirror to see your face. You use works of art to see your soul. ~ G. B. Shaw

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:

Lorelai County
Member Avatar
Stanley Cup Champ
I'm currently favouring Rebecca Gable, Ken Follet and Bernhard Cornwell. In case you guys know some writers with similar style please tell.

« Previous Topic · Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply