Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Server options
Topic Started: Oct 12 2012, 11:19 PM (270 Views)
Matilda Love
Member Avatar
^ Daedal Devil ^
Minister
So, I'm still using IE
And am locked inside walls of fire and what not......

Which server should a simple minded soul such as myself switch over to?

I wondered about Chrome or Firefox - but really have no idea what I'm talking about.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart go together.
ParrrrTay
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Firstly, you're talking about browsers, not servers (they're at the other end of the line).

I use Firefox - it's free, opens source, and has a lot of useful add-ons (get NoScript and AdBlock straight away if you decide to use FF).

Chrome is free and good, but is not open source and will send a lot of data about your browsing habits to Google.

Opera is technically superb, is also free, not open source, but is the least like IE in the way it works.

There are several others out there, but those are the main contenders.
It is very hard to find properly cited quotes on the internet.
~Abraham Lincoln

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:

Jack Tarr
Member Avatar
Chief Twanger Plunker
I agree with Al that Firefox is probably your best option.

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
I'd recommend Firefox.

However, regarding add-ons, although NoScript is great and I use it myself, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they already have a basic understanding of DNS and Javascript. Too many sites these days rely on Javascript for even basic functionality and enabling it for the right domains is often not straightforward.
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]

Matilda Love
Member Avatar
^ Daedal Devil ^
Minister
Thankyou :D

:lol: me calling a browser a server - sheesh - until something captivates me I'm still such a new born with all this!

Firefox it is then.

Three of you - so I can ask you questions if needs be - and my brother uses Firefox too - so should be lots of help available.

*heads off to look up open source, add-ons (can kinda guess), No Script, DNS....*
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

disposablepuppetland
Member Avatar
Hall of Famer
A quick explanation of NoScript...

There are two types of code that can make up a web page. HTML deals with the content (text, images, etc) and the layout. This is called static content because it doesn't change. Essentially HTML just describes a page.

Then there is active content, which is almost always Javascript. This is a full programming language that allows web pages to respond to the user, communicate with the server in the background, track the user, repeat things at set times, and all sorts of other stuff.

Some sites are pure HTML, but most these days have some Javascript. Many sites, especially big corporate sites, load scripts from many different places. For example, this forum loads scripts from invisionfree.com, as you would expect, but also from googleadservices.com, googlesyndication.com, quantserve.com, ifrm.com, and viglink.com - which are all for the ads.

This becomes a problem for several reasons:
- Security. It provides an opportunity to run malware in your browser. Obviously genuine sites don't want to serve you malware, but the more places they load scripts from the more difficult it is for them to check, and the responsibility becomes increasingly delegated (ie. forgotten about)
- Performance. The more scripts your browser is running the more work it has to do to load a page. This isn't such a big problem these days but there are still plenty of sites around that run better without some of their scripts.
- Unwanted Behaviour. Mostly ads that load video or float around over the text, but also other annoying things like sounds and popups.
- Tracking. Companies can use scripts to track your behaviour all around the internet. You may or may not care about that but some people do.

NoScript blocks all scripts by default and allows you to enable them individually based on where they came from. This sounds great but in practice that means many sites just don't work at all until you figure out which scripts they actually need. Personally I think it's worth the effort, but then I do this kind of stuff for a living so it's easy for me.
[align=center]This is what DPL is about - Also known as The Justified Ancients of West-Side - Furthermore known as the Jam
Cartographer of Canada
[/align]

Matilda Love
Member Avatar
^ Daedal Devil ^
Minister
Thank you DPL - that was alot clearer than anything I might have looked up.
In fact I would go so far as to say I understood what you said!

Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Fin
Member Avatar
Finie The Goalie
Heres a hint Mat, Stop using IE, it stinks
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A 21-Skwerl Salute for the Dizzy Twirling Hippy Chick!

Canada-Fin
Equinox-Hospitlar
AoQ-Hero

ParrrrTay
Member Avatar
...just a girl in the world.
Minister
Fin,Oct 15 2012
12:12 AM
Heres a hint Mat, Stop using IE, it stinks

Good ol' lovable blue eyed Fin at his best! :hail:
The Pubs of Parkplace
Delegate, Canada

Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be
~P.FLOYD

Sail on my friend...
Holding Shelter
Twirl Hippy Chick twirl

Fin
Member Avatar
Finie The Goalie
I try my best :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A 21-Skwerl Salute for the Dizzy Twirling Hippy Chick!

Canada-Fin
Equinox-Hospitlar
AoQ-Hero

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
And to underline the point...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/...ploit-companies
It is very hard to find properly cited quotes on the internet.
~Abraham Lincoln

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:

« Previous Topic · Frequently Asked Questions · Next Topic »
Add Reply