Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to NationStates - Canada. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How private are we?
Topic Started: Aug 16 2011, 04:24 AM (1,041 Views)
Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
I wonder about privacy. Face book CEO Mark Zuckerberg apparently likes to see the veils lifted on individual privacy, while at the same time he also draws the line at sharing his mobile phone number willy nilly. WikiLeaks Julian Assange would strip the veils back in order to promote accountability - but when he must become accountable he too seeks shelter from the glare. Australian former Victorian Chief Police Commissioner and former chair of the Bushfire Authority, Christine Nixon has (around the launch of her book) said that too much exposure leads to organisations spending more time and money on ‘covering behinds’ than on actual improvement and reform. Various media and other reports tell us that Murdoch News companies are accused of phone hacking political and social identities for the sake of sensation, let alone the phones of murdered young women.
It seems no matter what we do there is a way someone can find out about usif they really want to that much. Still, like Zuckerman and Assange I find I still want to draw a line even if it is just that. And mostly people are respectful of this, they simply don’t cross it even if they can.
So, should we be afraid?
:ph43r:
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart go together.
ParrrrTay
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
Oops sorry about the title, should read 'How private are we?' :blush:
Posted Image

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Matilda Love,Aug 16 2011
10:29 AM
Oops sorry about the title, should read 'How private are we?' :blush:

Fixed.
For future reference, you can do this yourself - just edit the first post of the thread.

Posted Image

Worry is not productive, but I think this is something we all should be concerned about.

As things stand. You should assume that anything you type on any computer will be available (and linkable to the real you) forever. Your supermarket may well know more about some aspects of your personal life that your best friend does.

In RL, you can say to a friend "Ohh sometimes I just want to kill those lying politicians" and have it taken as a harmless vent, quickly forgotten. If you say the same thing in phone chat it could well appear in court as evidence of "subversive activity" many years later.

Unless people (i.e. us) get off their backsides and start insisting on some hard laws on privacy, the situation is only going to deteriorate.

(For a starter site on practicalities, try https://www.privacygirl.com/ )
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. ~ Mencken

Visit Al's FractAl Gallery

I'm in ur detailz likin' ur sinz. :evil:
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
Just found my brain again, under the bed nestling beneath the dust bunnies.

I wanted to thank you for the privacy girl link – it seems very well considered, researched and therefore helpful.

Privacy remains however a shifty sort of thing in different contexts. That poor couple in the wonderful cartoon you posted above! I feel just like them but can’t seem to stay away from the internet or the shops. I understand the cameras in shops and other areas at the English riots have helped police secure identities and because of this they have been able to carry out a number of arrests.

Comment below from hubby yum man:

Speaking of shops – I go to the local ‘neighbourhood watch’ and the police officer who runs the group told us that the police wanted to put anti shoplifting posters in the local shopping centre. but the management wouldn’t allow it. The management admitted that there is a shoplifting problem, but they didn’t want anything that might make the public feel unsafe (unsafe from theft or from prosecution, I wonder?) So the police went to each individual shop owner and they all enthusiastically put the posters up – inside the shop where the centre management doesn’t control them.

Newspaper reports claim that the police themselves fudge crime statistics to make it look like they have things under control. However, the police then say they are struggling with understaffing and under resourcing – but how can we tell what is really needed? I know the local police don’t record my complaints: I have been threatened repeatedly by a neighbour, and heard rumours about previous strong violence, but her ‘privacy’ means I can’t check the court records to find out what I am dealing with.
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
Further to the above (sorry, just managing to catch up a little on what the rest of the world has been up to)
Facebook is enabling privacy controls to be more easily available and obvious, drop downs on profiles and users can allow or disallow tagging.
I guess facebook will still get its usual 'what are we interested in' type info though?
Another one is when users talk self harm and/or suicide, help information will appear privately for that person to see.
Is this crossing a line? I know my instinct is yes, do it - but could it also tip a balance in the wrong direction? Apparently Facebook has been working with Lifeline on this, so I guess they might know what they're doing?
The information above I gleaned from The Age August 25th 2011 p. 5
The italics and bold are just me being overwhelmed as usual.
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
As to Facebook etc., the main worry in my book is not what other people can see, but what Facebook/the CIA/other partners may be accumulating.

It's already reached the point where it's worrying the police!
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. ~ Mencken

Posted Image

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
Quote:

As to Facebook etc., the main worry in my book is not what other people can see, but what Facebook/the CIA/other partners may be accumulating.

True, and yet I just can't stay away. Also here I am, taking care of privacy more or less depending on my day to day minute to minute subjective ambivalence level, but one of my sons doesn't concern himself as I do - and this is how it is for his friends.
They seem to have a respectful unwritten code - only certain stuff gets posted. I understand this isn't the same for every social group though.
I guess thats one reason why the Aussie police are having stress attacks. They are meant to be squeaky clean and some aren't. OHHH there I go making outlandish comments again!
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/62999.html

Although I came across this in a 9/11 context, I think it belongs in the privacy thread. Most first world countries are going down a similar path.

Posted Image

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
I really 'enjoyed?' reading the book Stasiland by Anna Funder. What lengths a terrified community will go to to 'protect' I don't quite know what from its own people. It is easy to say power.
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
RL Canadians might want to take a serious look at getting behind this campaign.

Posted Image

Ess
Member Avatar
twirling hippy chick
I signed yesterday and forwarded to friends and signed and shared on fb. I "like" openmedia on fb and get email, as well. :fonz:

This and anti-UBB, (usage based billing), are the 2 main campaigns, atm.

Conservatives strike, or try to, again. :(
Posted Image
WOW Canada is a Wonderland of enchantments~Bobert
Ess is the Chuck Norris of NS Canada, so anything's possible.~Redundancies
The hippy chick is Canada's coolest! ~Fiddy
HappinEss ~Matilda

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerkay/2011/...et-ahead-of-us/

Posted Image

Ess
Member Avatar
twirling hippy chick
That was interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Posted Image
HappinEss ~Matilda

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
I wonder about the organisation of this information.
Even on a computer it is still human driven and there is likely to be mix ups, oversights and flat out mistakes.
It is people that have decided how a computer should translate in the first place, and while a people can do this better than a computer it is still fallible because it is human.

The intent of this activity terrifies me and am dubious on a whole other overlay by the error inherent in any record gathering system, especially this sort.
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Matilda Love
Member Avatar

Minister
Sorry, double posting again! :o

Don't know anything about this Rideau Institute (perhaps someone can enlighten me?) but found the below interesting:

Shared Vision or Myopia:
The Politics of Perimeter Security
and Economic Competitiveness
By Gar Pardy
September 2011

http://www.rideauinstitute.ca/file-library/shared-vision.pdf
Posted Image

Erica Jong

ParrrrTay

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
One for Ess to ponder...

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2012/04/04/19591621.html

Posted Image

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
Oh-oh!

Posted Image

Ess
Member Avatar
twirling hippy chick
Almonaster,Apr 5 2012
02:46 PM

Just saw this...

I have only Missy Lou's pic as an avi and a pic of Cathedral Grove, Vancouver Island for public viewing.

I don't have my real name on fb, either...

:shrug:

Posted Image
HappinEss ~Matilda

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
/\ Smart! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Almonaster
Member Avatar
Homophonophile
Minister
For info: any visit you make here will be tracked by at least

• Google Analytics
  • Google Adsense
  • Quantcast
  • Viglink
unless you have good blocks in place.

(Analysis using Ghostery.)

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Real Life Politics and Current Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply